Audio Research Ref-10 Preamp

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Thanks...i will definitely post tomorrow....they are bringing 2 people just to do this installation/audition. So no need to hoist 600lb speakers...

I put the spikes and spike bases under the MM3 with just a one buddy tilting the speakers, so it can be done, but still a bit scary.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I put the spikes and spike bases under the MM3 with just a one buddy tilting the speakers, so it can be done, but still a bit scary.

Cool...i will let you know.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I actually own ARC gear so I'm not here to bash it. I will say they are great at marketing their product.

Really??

I think they suck at marketing. Their website is never updated, they rarely advertise and are kind of in the background.

Users of their stuff is the best marketing tool they have.

I think your assumption is wrong.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Really??

I think they suck at marketing. Their website is never updated, they rarely advertise and are kind of in the background.

IMHO, in high-end investing in a good quality and trained sales network is much more important than just advertising in magazines and websites. Most of the times if a good dealer knows of a product before the webpage announces it, he has an opportunity to approach his customers with novelties and attract their attention and purchases. Also, as he knows his customers, he is able to organize his sales strategy in a staggered way.

Most curious people (like me !) always know where to get their first hand information - google advanced search can be very efficient!
Sometimes I feel people over-valuate manufacturer websites in high-end - in general direct contact with dealers and distributors has been much more efficient for me, as well as participating in audio forums such as WBF.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
We are who we associate with? ...A great company is one that has a great team of people behind; quality people, honest people, intelligent people, and people with impeccable integrity.
Anything else is just cheap whiskey.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
IMHO, in high-end investing in a good quality and trained sales network is much more important than just advertising in magazines and websites. Most of the times if a good dealer knows of a product before the webpage announces it, he has an opportunity to approach his customers with novelties and attract their attention and purchases. Also, as he knows his customers, he is able to organize his sales strategy in a staggered way.

Most curious people (like me !) always know where to get their first hand information - google advanced search can be very efficient!
Sometimes I feel people over-valuate manufacturer websites in high-end - in general direct contact with dealers and distributors has been much more efficient for me, as well as participating in audio forums such as WBF.

Hence the point I was making is they don't spend tons of $$$ on "marketing" and why I think their marketing "sucks" because it is virtually non-existent.

I meant that as a compliment not as a condemnation

Hence why I disputed the claims of the other post

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hence the point I was making is they don't spend tons of $$$ on "marketing" and why I think their marketing "sucks" because it is virtually non-existent.

I meant that as a compliment not as a condemnation

Hence why I disputed the claims of the other post

I don't think ARC has to do much traditional marketing because their products get ceaseless press in all of the rags. They have been in business for a very long time and are apparently a very successful company. Why spend needless money on traditional marketing when your products are constantly getting rave reviews and are always in the press?

Amado

I'm an ARC Dealer and one of the first or maybe the first one with a REF10. If Microstrip let me say it
The REF10 is better than the REF40. :) :)

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I'm an ARC Dealer and one of the first or maybe the first one with a REF10. If Microstrip let me say it

Better in what regard?

Amado

Just playing with Him.
Both are excellent products,

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

My distributor also says the same. :) And probably it is true - in this type of equipment small details such as cabling or a few components can make a difference. In order to be politically correct I would say that the difference is enough to please new buyers who can not have the pride of owning the Anniversary, and not enough to motivate its current owners to move to the REF 10.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I got rid of my Ref 40 last year when I purged all ARC products from my system in disgust over continuous amplifier problems. But, as has been the case for more than 20 years, the itch for an ARC preamp is returning. I am very happy with my Pass XP30 and I feel it compares favorably with the Ref 40. I am curious about the Ref 10 though. I can fight off the urge if it's only equal to or a small improvement compared to the Ref 40 so that's why I ask. As usual, even though I live in a major city like Chicago I can't get a listen.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Really??

Priaptor, I respectfully disagree with you. Both Jon Valin and Harry Pearson use ARC in their reference systems. This kind of marketing by these icons is something persistent advertising dollars or a spiffy website cannot buy. Now you can argue that those reviewers are just audio Casanovas, who get the review samples thrown at them more frequently than groupies threw themselves at Led Zeppelin, but then there are also guys like Carl Marchisotto of Nola, who demo their livelihood with ARC.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Elliot and Amado,

It will save you a lot of hassles if you edit your signatures to reflect/disclose your industry affiliations. Besides, it is part of the revised TOR and is now a requirement. Please carry on. :)

Jack

vess

Nov 4, 2012
Sofia, Bulgaria
www.audio-bg.com
My distributor also says the same. :) And probably it is true - in this type of equipment small details such as cabling or a few components can make a difference. In order to be politically correct I would say that the difference is enough to please new buyers who can not have the pride of owning the Anniversary, and not enough to motivate its current owners to move to the REF 10.

Hi,

The difference between REF ANN and REF10 is just too big to be ignored. REF ANN compared to REF10 is very pleasing your senses and forgiving as far as matching components are concerned. REF 10 is extremely close to no preamp in the best way. But the latter demands partners of same caliber, nothing less, or you will hear the truth, no lies, no pleasing ...

My 2c advice after long listening to both preamps in many top end systems.

Vess

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I got rid of my Ref 40 last year when I purged all ARC products from my system in disgust over continuous amplifier problems. But, as has been the case for more than 20 years, the itch for an ARC preamp is returning. I am very happy with my Pass XP30 and I feel it compares favorably with the Ref 40. I am curious about the Ref 10 though. I can fight off the urge if it's only equal to or a small improvement compared to the Ref 40 so that's why I ask. As usual, even though I live in a major city like Chicago I can't get a listen.

I do know someone who uses ARC Ref Anniversary with Gryphon Mephisto Monos to drive his Alexandrias...clearly loves them, and his system has also been a pretty stable one over the many years. He chooses carefully and deliberately. Audio Note DAC 5 digital...eventually DAC 5 Signature...going back years. Clearaudio Master Ref Turntable for years and years. I would not be surprised to see his ARC Ref 40 there 5 years from now.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Priaptor, I respectfully disagree with you. Both Jon Valin and Harry Pearson use ARC in their reference systems. This kind of marketing by these icons is something persistent advertising dollars or a spiffy website cannot buy. Now you can argue that those reviewers are just audio Casanovas, who get the review samples thrown at them more frequently than groupies threw themselves at Led Zeppelin, but then there are also guys like Carl Marchisotto of Nola, who demo their livelihood with ARC.

Actually the only gear JV used prior to the thick headed guy finally listening to me was the Ref phono 2se and 610s as the latter were the only tube amps capable of driving his then beloved Q5s. He FINALLY heard Ref 5SE and 250s and fell in love but he and Harley were very late to that game

As to HP the Ref 75 was loaned him by the amazing speaker developer you mention as was I believe the CD8 now an end of the line product. His main reference are Mac MC2301s

Incidentally now that you mention Carl and Nola I would like to add a comment. For a second system I was bit by the Magico bug, bought Q1s with a Constellation Centaur and all the recommended MIT cables. When my little experiment was over, from my perch while I liked the Q1s they were no contest to my Nolas. Not even in the same league. Now Magico is a company that knows how to market. I had both in my listening room unlike others who make subjective comparisons without either a/bi-ing, ever really listening (other than to JV) or having both in their listening room and on all counts no comparison. Nola hardly anyone knows Magico everyone knows and it is a good speaker at best but their marketing is amazing. I will save my Wilson comments for another day. I will leave it with I have owned Avalon, Wilson's, Magicos as well as Nola. The middle two sold more on marketing than the other two the last particularly with ARC gear few can match BUT his marketing sucks.

Amado

Hi Elliot and Amado,

It will save you a lot of hassles if you edit your signatures to reflect/disclose your industry affiliations. Besides, it is part of the revised TOR and is now a requirement. Please carry on. :)

Jack
Thank you Jack,
I did but don't know why is not visible

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It's visible now Amado :)

Amado

It's visible now Amado :)

I think is the Ipad App that does not show the signature
thanks anyway Jack
and at your service anytime
Nelson

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing