Audio Research Ref-10 Preamp

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sorry, wrong answer - the REF10 is on the left.

Thanks! ARe the power supplies identical? I am no techie but they certainly look the same...anything different?

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
a departure from what was described as the ARC sound. A white color, perhaps a bit foward, as compared to say CJ which was a golden sound.
I dont want to sound nuts but they did have a family of sound. The new product does not exhibit this. The REF 40 folllowed by the 5SE and now the 10 are remarkable IMO. They are faster, quieter, more transparent from top to bottom with a coherence that runs the entire spectrum.
I am admittedly a fan and I have been associated with them on and off for 40 years. I have listened to and heard many of the new products these are still on the top of heap for me

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
a departure from what was described as the ARC sound. A white color, perhaps a bit foward, as compared to say CJ which was a golden sound.
I dont want to sound nuts but they did have a family of sound. The new product does not exhibit this. The REF 40 folllowed by the 5SE and now the 10 are remarkable IMO. They are faster, quieter, more transparent from top to bottom with a coherence that runs the entire spectrum.
I am admittedly a fan and I have been associated with them on and off for 40 years. I have listened to and heard many of the new products these are still on the top of heap for me

I guess I jumped straigth into the "new sound" (never heard any of their preamps) with the Ref5SE and like what I hear. The first preamp I ever tried that does not reduce transparency relative to DAC based Volume Control. This is all the more remarkable since in my experience adding a set of interconnects into the chain by itself is a huge compromise.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Yes you have. I dont like to hear its tube sound or Solid State sound. I think that is a cop- out. These pieces are not "tubey". The best of the solid state gear today is not "transistory"
The new units have a top to bottom coherence and a transparency that is just startling. I inally last night got our music server system set up at the store and the sound through the ARC gear is only described as "scary good"
Edorr I know you have a MSB DAC with your ARC REF 5Se that is an amazing combo!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Edorr I know you have a MSB DAC with your ARC REF 5Se that is an amazing combo!

Having tried a few, I had completely given up on preamps and settled for the MBS VC, until one of the esteemed forum members suggested I try the ARC, which I (reluctantly) did....

I am hoping to squeeze a few more percent of performance out of this preamp next week with the arrival of Shunyata Zitron cabling (IC + PC) and a set of stillpoint ultras.....

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I haven't used those cables, only older stuff from Shunyata, or the stillpoints but good luck with that. That other member's system is gotten to the insane category.
All the work and money has paid off in a big way

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I haven't used those cables, only older stuff from Shunyata, or the stillpoints but good luck with that. That other member's system is gotten to the insane category.

Stillpoint Ultras are the ONLY vibration control devices that have ever made an audible difference anywhere in my system (under speakers). Speakers are no preamps, and I may well be wasting my money with these.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Initial impression is that the 5SE is a nice upgrade over the 5. Transparency/immediacy have been improved.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I also have no experience with new Shunyata Ztrons cables - but the Antares ICs and Orion speaker cables were best buys and great value for money with the REF5 and REF40. I had to spend a lot more to better them and still keep them, just in case I want to become reasonable again in cable matters. :)

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
I have the Ref 40 and Ref 5SE, previously had a Ref2 mk2. The new preamps are a step function better than the Ref2 which is greatly enjoyed. I found the improvement to be primarily in the lack of sonic signature, more open soundstage and improved definition around individual performers. I did get a chance to listen to the Ref 10 and it is also a great preamp...I did not find it to sound better than the 40 although my 40 has more hours on it....I found them to be more similar than different with perhaps the 40 sounding just a little more open and relaxed than the 10. But again that may likely change as the 10 burned in

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Stillpoint Ultras are the ONLY vibration control devices that have ever made an audible difference anywhere in my system (under speakers). Speakers are no preamps, and I may well be wasting my money with these.

Hi Edorr...I am trying Stillpoints Ultra Vs under my X1/Grand Slamms tomorrow. What should i expect to hear in your experience? I have spoken with a number of Wilson owners who have trialed them under their speakers and kept them. Most have used the Ultra SS...but many have said the Ultra Vs are even better. Thanks for any guidance.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Hi Edorr...I am trying Stillpoints Ultra Vs under my X1/Grand Slamms tomorrow. What should i expect to hear in your experience? I have spoken with a number of Wilson owners who have trialed them under their speakers and kept them. Most have used the Ultra SS...but many have said the Ultra Vs are even better. Thanks for any guidance.

I used them under my Vertity Audio parsifals with great effect (just better sound dunno how to describe). I screwed them into the threaded insert. Then I just put them under my Avalon's (no thread) and heard no improvement and sold them.

Will you screw them on or just put them under the speaker? Either way, let me know what you hear. I may give them a whirl under the MM3 at some point myself.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I used them under my Vertity Audio parsifals with great effect (just better sound dunno how to describe). I screwed them into the threaded insert. Then I just put them under my Avalon's (no thread) and heard no improvement and sold them.

Will you screw them on or just put them under the speaker? Either way, let me know what you hear. I may give them a whirl under the MM3 at some point myself.

The distributor is coming himself to help install...he is bringing the Wilson adaptor threads to screw them directly into the speakers. I am most intrigued...as in my system (and in my place)...putting HRS isolation under: CJ GAT, all 4 Zanden boxes makes a huge improvement...plus the Velodyne DD18 with isolation was a huge night/day difference...i was forced to change all the settings on the DD18 afterwards...so i am most intrigued about tomorrow!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The distributor is coming himself to help install...he is bringing the Wilson adaptor threads to screw them directly into the speakers. I am most intrigued...as in my system (and in my place)...putting HRS isolation under: CJ GAT, all 4 Zanden boxes makes a huge improvement...plus the Velodyne DD18 with isolation was a huge night/day difference...i was forced to change all the settings on the DD18 afterwards...so i am most intrigued about tomorrow!

Let me know what you find out. I am using very expensive Combak Harmonix spike bases, so a switch to threads and ultra's should be self funded. I sort of dread the process of tilting the speakers (600lbs a piece), and putting the threads in and screwing on the ultra's though....

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I said what I do. I have used and sold many products and Steve W. and I have had many discussions about a lot of gear. It is easy to dismiss someone's expertise with a flippant disrespectful remark however I am quite sure that "taters" probably fits you to a tee.

taters

Jun 6, 2012
I said what I do. I have used and sold many products and Steve W. and I have had many discussions about a lot of gear. It is easy to dismiss someone's expertise with a flippant disrespectful remark however I am quite sure that "taters" probably fits you to a tee.

I actually own ARC gear so I'm not here to bash it. I will say they are great at marketing their product.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Let me know what you find out. I am using very expensive Combak Harmonix spike bases, so a switch to threads and ultra's should be self funded. I sort of dread the process of tilting the speakers (600lbs a piece), and putting the threads in and screwing on the ultra's though....

Thanks...i will definitely post tomorrow....they are bringing 2 people just to do this installation/audition. So no need to hoist 600lb speakers...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing