Audio Note UK vs Audio Japan Sonic Differences

Richard Austen

Jun 2, 2020
If you cannot hear the bloated bass, sluggishness, or dynamic restraints when they underdrive speakers.

Really! You haven't heard Kaguras drive Apogee Diva or Magico then (and those were the more powerful Kaguras). The Souga did not sound anywhere as good with Diesis as the Gakuoh 2 or Kagura. And there are reports of Ongaku not sounding good without the Kondo preamp _ personally heard it without the preamp and preferred the Absolare on the Diesis.

Specious logic He doesn't have to be, he just needs to organize for some other SETS for compares, and roll tubes on a 300b amp. The SETs don't have to be 100k amps. But, there is no point in a review comparing the Gakuoh to Soulution on an Harbeth just to fill up space.

Within those constraints, the other noted attributes become pointless.
What review magazine do you work for?

I ask because you seem to work for a magazine that can supply you with all these items at the same time. It's impressive.

Manufacturers and dealers do not give reviewers items for limitless periods (well except TAS maybe who tend to get long-term loans/free gear fo years replaced by the new model). WE tubes are something like $4,500US a pair and if he doesn't roll the WE 300B valve - someone like you will complain that he didn't use Western Electric tubes which then nullifies everything he has to say as it is the presumptive pick as the best 300B tube. Someone else will whine that he didn't roll Takatsuki valves - perhaps the pick as the other best 300B tube.

That's a difficult ask from someone who doesn't own a SET amplifier or indeed, an SET owner of 2a3 or 211.

I also think a reviewer should review the stock product - if it comes with PSVANE you review it with PSVANE. Every tube amp owner knows they will get a marked improvement/or at least a different sound with better/different valves.

Thinking it over I do mostly agree with your points. For example, I would not spend time on comparisons to SS amplifiers - I think the reviewer should try their best to pay attention to who the readership for the product will likely be. Thus, you're right in that anyone reading a review of $100K+ SET amplifiers from Kondo has already decided that SS is not for them. That is a huge chunk of money and you are very likely reviewing for an established SET audience who isn't using lower-efficiency speakers from Harbeth. The matching is certainly odd from both a sound perspective as Alan Shaw (Harbeth's owner/designer) believes all properly working amplifiers all sound the same and secondly that more power is always better! Thus using any SET at any price runs antithetical to Alan's beliefs about the best audio reproduction. In other words, Kondo would be like forcing a square peg down a round hole.

Correct me if I am wrong, but reading your views again what you are saying is that a reviewer choosing to cover these Kondo amps should already own SET amplifiers and have SET amplifiers (or at least top-quality PP Tube amplifiers) to make comparisons with more "ideally" matched speakers. If so then I agree.

I read the review sort of from a lower price tier perspective. The gear I typically review is far more modestly priced and my audience tends to be "new to SET" or "new to tubes" so the target audience wants to know how a SET will compare to a SS amplifier - the strengths/weaknesses the aesthetics and the ergonomics etc.

I remember an old review of my OTO Phono SE where the reviewer was running the amp on his big floorstanding Thiel speakers which I believe hit in the 2-3 ohm range. The OTO was measured in Hi-Fi Choice magazine as 10 watts per channel but 4.2 watts (undistorted). The El84 is hardly a powerhouse. The reviewer loved the amp and all but it certainly was a poor match. Neither manufacturer would recommend such a pairing. Hi-Fi Choice noted that the OTO won their blind level-matched auditions with a panel of reviewers all choosing it over all the other amps in their test. But at 4.2 watts per channel, they called it "idiosyncratic." At the OTO's price level, you have to bring up far more caveats because now you're selling to a far greater audience - many of whom are buying gear to listen to music and are not likely as well versed on tube technobabble.

Reactions: Klonk

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Manufacturers and dealers do not give reviewers items for limitless periods (well except TAS maybe who tend to get long-term loans/free gear fo years replaced by the new model). WE tubes are something like $4,500US a pair and if he doesn't roll the WE 300B valve - someone like you will complain that he didn't use Western Electric tubes which then nullifies everything he has to say as it is the presumptive pick as the best 300B tube. Someone else will whine that he didn't roll Takatsuki valves - perhaps the pick as the other best 300B tube.

That's a difficult ask from someone who doesn't own a SET amplifier or indeed, an SET owner of 2a3 or 211.

I also think a reviewer should review the stock product - if it comes with PSVANE you review it with PSVANE. Every tube amp owner knows they will get a marked improvement/or at least a different sound with better/different valves.
The fact that you do not have money to fix your lights and brakes, does not mean should be allowed to drive without lights and brakes.
If the reviewer does not have multiple gear, or appropriate gear, don't review. He could have done a review appropriate for the gear he has.

I remember Richard Mak had done some reviews, he drove the gear over to 3 to 4 other locations, set it up there, and added the notes to facilitate compares and listening in more than one set up.

Thinking it over I do mostly agree with your points. For example, I would not spend time on comparisons to SS amplifiers
Thanks - those points are easy to agree with as they are correct.
Correct me if I am wrong, but reading your views again what you are saying is that a reviewer choosing to cover these Kondo amps should already own SET amplifiers and have SET amplifiers (or at least top-quality PP Tube amplifiers) to make comparisons with more "ideally" matched speakers. If so then I agree.

6 moons does SET amp reviews all the time, and they do much better compares with more appropriate gear. You could find other issues with them, such as Srajaen's English, or disagree with some of their findings, but they do have comparables and suitable speakers, and occasionally transport gear to others to get in more equipment into the mix.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I read the review on highfidelity about Gakuoh II and my conclusion is the reviewer is a total stranger to tube gear. He mentions that output transformers have 3 taps; 2ohms, 4ohms and 8 ohms. Anybody familiar with tube gear knows that 2ohms output doesn’t exist but he goes on writing 2ohms. Actually he doesn’t really have to be into tube gear if he only had checked specs he shared at the end he would have noticed the mistake he did. Specs clearly list it 4, 8 and 16ohms.

I also highly doubt the distributor’s experience cause any AN UK or Kondo gear is sent for review includes full set of cables cause they’re designed to be used together.

Not a credible review in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I read the review on highfidelity about Gakuoh II and my conclusion is the reviewer is a total stranger to tube gear. He mentions that output transformers have 3 taps; 2ohms, 4ohms and 8 ohms. Anybody familiar with tube gear knows that 2ohms output doesn’t exist but he goes on writing 2ohms. Actually he doesn’t really have to be into tube gear if he only had checked specs he shared at the end he would have noticed the mistake he did. Specs clearly list it 4, 8 and 16ohms.
I also highly doubt the distributor’s experience cause any AN UK or Kondo gear is sent for review includes full set of cables cause they’re designed to be used together.

Not a credible review in my opinion
Actually, the guy has been reviewing tube gear regularly...would help if you looked at some of the past reviews. He also owns a very nice Ayon Spheris preamp. Not saying his review is particularly good or not but he is definitely not inexperienced.

Also, there are tube amps with 2 ohm taps (again not sure about the kondo)...a Music Reference RM100 even had a 1 ohm tap!

Reactions: mtemur

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Actually, the guy has been reviewing tube gear regularly...would help if you looked at some of the past reviews. He also owns a very nice Ayon Spheris preamp. Not saying his review is particularly good or not but he is definitely not inexperienced.
Thank you for the information. I read his many reviews over the years, IMHO owning tube gear doesn't always bring familiarity or experience to tube amplifiers.

Also, there are tube amps with 2 ohm taps (again not sure about the kondo)...a Music Reference RM100 even had a 1 ohm tap!
Of course there can be tube amps with 1ohm but it's surely not a common thing but rather a novelty. I'm guessing %99.9 of all tube amplifiers don't offer 1ohm or 2ohms. Kondo Gakuoh II doesn't. At least according to the specs reviewer shared.

Last edited:

Richard Austen

Jun 2, 2020
Technical errors in a review are tough for editors to pick up. It would probably be best to send the review to the manufacturer for them to check technical mistakes but then you run into the "bias" issue where you essentially have the review pre-screened by the manufacturer to say what they want you to say. I don't think that would happen as it is only a "fact check" but perception is often what counts. And in the case of Kondo - it may be difficult for them to have an English language review checked unless they have people who can understand English. Line Magnetic for example has no one. The owners, now both deceased, could not speak a word of English. They relied on Importer John Halpern in the USA (who also imports Shindo) and is the point person for English language customers) and King Ip here in Hong Kong was the language interpreter for Line Magnetic - and I like King but his English is stronger in listening and speaking than writing/reading.

I am generally less concerned with grammar/spelling in reviews as I adhere more to the values that Noam Chomsky writes about in his theories of linguistics. And teaching English in South Korea, Mainland China, and Hong Kong one learns the ability to "fill in the blanks" and listen and read for the "intent of meaning" than being a "grammar Nazi." For example, most people misuse the word jealous when they should use the word envious or they will write less than when they should write the word fewer. But if you have reasonable intelligence and are not autistic as frak - then you should understand their "intent of meaning."

For the most part, online reviewers do this as a hobby and are unpaid. Generally, the advantage of online reviews is that they are more willing to review smaller name brands. Stereophile, I believe, have a policy where they need a certain amount of dealers in the USA - maybe 6 or 10 or whatever. Thus, many good products will never see a review. OTOH, it's a good policy in the sense that the small outfits have no track record and could go out of business or have no history of customer support. Moreover, some Chinese tube audio companies feel that fuses interfere with the sound quality of their amplifiers so they design their amps with no fuse. The problem is that the customer (and the dealers) need to know this and react quickly to the signs that the amp is soon to have an issue. I reviewed a lovely and affordable (well affordable to this forum) $10,000 integrated amp from New Zealand called the PureAudio One - Not long after my review and a few others covered it the lead designer and co-owner passed away - the company had to close because there was no one else designing. The other partner was, I believe, in sales and marketing. Same for the previously mentioned King Ip - after repairing all tube brands for decades he made his own little tube headphone integrated power amp - for a really affordable price - but he was close to 60 and health issues came in so he sold his run of amplifiers and closed.

At the Kingko price - it's not a big deal but at $10k that IS a lot for most people and they're stuck with an amp that has no service or possibly parts available. So the Stereophile policy makes a lot of sense. Prove that you can actually sell and sustain sales for a period of time - then we'll review you.

Last edited:

MRubey

VIP/Donor
Mar 20, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Maybe fun, but too long with too little information. There are so many redundant self-presenting heroes on YouTube…
I am sorry….
The guy has no details.
He had no idea what he was looking at.
He didn’t know that ANUK wasnt Kondo.
But he was very forthcoming about all of that and I found that refreshing.

Stereophile has a nice rundown of the room.
Jinro, M6 phono, the new field coil speaker.

Richard Austen

Jun 2, 2020
The AN room with an easier-to-read price list.

Enjoy the music coverd it a bit too.

Jinro Shochu Power Amplifier $38,000
M6 Phono Pre Amplifier $25,000
TT-Three Turntable & PSU 3 $16,500
IO 1 Moving Coil Cartridge $5,028
AN-S8 Step Up Transformer & Pallas $16,000
CDT Four CD Transport $21,100
DAC 4.1x/II Balanced $20,740
AN E / SPx Ltd Field Coil Speakers $65,000
AN SPx Bi-wire Speaker Cable $11,826

Selling 30 pairs of those speakers already is not too bad give it is only one model of their LTD series.

Reactions: Panas and MRubey

DaveSo

Nov 24, 2020
The guy has no details.
He had no idea what he was looking at.
He didn’t know that ANUK wasnt Kondo.
But he was very forthcoming about all of that and I found that refreshing.

Stereophile has a nice rundown of the room.
Jinro, M6 phono, the new field coil speaker.
OCD Mikey the Hifi Guy lives in my area and came by my place to listen to my AN system (Tonmeister Silver Phono, SpeHEs, interconnects and SpX cables). Really nice guy and much more serious and focused than his youtube persona.

Richard Austen

Jun 2, 2020
OCD Mikey the Hifi Guy lives in my area and came by my place to listen to my AN system (Tonmeister Silver Phono, SpeHEs, interconnects and SpX cables). Really nice guy and much more serious and focused than his youtube persona.
Did he like your system - what did you play?

I enjoyed my time with the P3 Tonmeister. I am thinking of saving for the P3 Konzertmeister or Tomei.

But this is all a long ways off - unfortunately - when I move back to Canada in a few years I am probably going to have to sell all of my gear due to Canada's Import duties - even on used gear that I've owned for several years. Add in the shipping costs and the fact that insurance doesn't cover jack squat of what damage may be done are turning me off. It's irritating.

But hey - it will give me an excuse to buy new gear. :)

Last edited:

Richard Austen

Jun 2, 2020
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing