Audio Note UK vs Audio Japan Sonic Differences

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Sorry for the late reply, but the room I saw was at the show in Los Angeles. IMO the room was too small for horn speakers, and just rotely putting silver cable in a system because you happen to make them does not guarantee good sound or synergy. I'm sure they have adjusted since then for shows, and each product they make may be excellent, but that particular performance along with 50 percent of the other showrooms, did not sound very good at all. Great sound is achieved by careful selection of components, not just throwing a bunch of products all made by one company. But that's what lots of exhibitors do.
In the last 10 years Kondo has NOT participated in any US show other than CES in Las Vegas and the Stereophile show in NYC about 10 year ago. Unfortunately it seems as though you must have mistaken some other room for the Kondo room at an LA show.

Reactions: mtemur

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
A good example of how bad reviewers are - he is writing a report on Kondo Gakuoh mk2. Mistakes?
1. using Harbeth as the speakers for evaluation
2. Comparing to Soulution power amp only, instead of using appropriate speakers and comparing to SETs too - ideally he would do multiple speakers and amps, to find where they work and where they are limited
3. Using Ayon preamp, instead of Kondo preamp.
4. Using CD source only

sjs

A good example of how bad reviewers are - he is writing a report on Kondo Gakuoh mk2. Mistakes?
2. Comparing to Soulution power amp only, instead of using appropriate speakers and comparing to SETs too - ideally he would do multiple speakers and amps, to find where they work and where they are limited
4. Using CD source only

And a 6CG7 is most certainly not an ECC81, it is more similar to 6SN7 in a B9a envelope

Reactions: mtemur and bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
And a 6CG7 is most certainly not an ECC81, it is more similar to 6SN7 in a B9a envelope

also his analogy of 300b to EL34 seemed a bit strange

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
4. Using CD source only

The methodology of inserting gear under review into a reference system is deeply flawed, yet it's a common practice.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The methodology of inserting gear under review into a reference system is deeply flawed, yet it's a common practice.

that isn’t the point here, he is inserting it into a system not suitable for the amp and not doing valid comparisons either

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
that isn’t the point here, he is inserting it into a system not suitable for the amp and not doing valid comparisons either
We are vigorously agreeing.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
We are vigorously agreeing.

you could enter something into an existing system and it could sound better than the existing components, where both components are suited for the system.

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
you could enter something into an existing system and it could sound better than the existing components, where both components are suited for the system.
Spin it to your heart's content.

Klonk

Mar 4, 2012
I'm a bit surprised that Kondo apparently uses big B&W speakers for testing. Normally I see B&W with solid state amplifiers.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I'm a bit surprised that Kondo apparently uses big B&W speakers for testing. Normally I see B&W with solid state amplifiers.
The B/W's are used as they are fairly hard to drive. They use them to test the driving capability of some of the Kondo amplifiers.

Richard Austen

Jun 2, 2020

I have found good SET amplifiers sound better with all speakers (with volume limitations being the drawback) but for actual sound quality the best I have ever heard from B&W was with Wyatech Labs 211 SET. The best I have heard with Magnepan was with Audio Note SORO, and the best I have heard with Quad 2905 was with an OTO. But you can't play them very loud.

Some Harbeths are harder to drive than others - but I don't see why a KONDO would struggle with Harbeth. The 40.1 is 85dB sensitive but doesn't dip below 5 ohms and stays above 6 ohms through most of the audio band. A quality SET (presumably Kondo uses quality transformers) will have no issue with that speaker. No, it's not a horn but then most horns sound shouty and generally bloody awful.

I can't speak for this reviewer but whenever I request an item for review I give them my system list to ask them if they feel their equipment will be well represented. I generally prefer a "system" and in most cases, we go through the local "dealer/importer." Assuming this reviewer requested a $110,000+ amplifier then you would think the manufacturer or distributor (or both) were fine with his preamp and speakers. So the dealer/importer/manufacturer are incompetent morons if they are sending out $110,000 amps to just "anybody" and don't "care" what the reviewer is using.

Lastly, not all reviewers are multi-millionaires who own ten $100,000 amplifiers to try and ten $100,000 speakers to try and ten $100,000 turntables and five $20,000 phono stages and five $20,000 carts to try. and ten $50,000 cables and ten $50,000 power cords.

If the company cares about system synergy - then send the reviewer the complete system. If you are just selling amplifiers then don't be a little bitch and whine that the reviewer didn't use the "perfect" speaker or source. Kondo should send the reviewer their matched preamp, DAC, Transport, Streamer, Turntable, and Speakers.

Regardless, Kondo is going to make most stuff sound better so perhaps that's why they want the review. You see - even an 85dB Harbeth can sound great with our amplifiers! I sure as shit would buy Kondo with Harbeth over bloody Soulution with Harbeth.

Lastly, the reviewer notes the issues.

"This is an amplifier that plays with a sound of powerful scale and wide range. Within the constraints of the Harbeth M40.1's low efficiency and current-hungry nature, the scale, dynamics, power - all were superb."

"Sitting quite close to the Harbeths, about 50 cm closer than usual, reading an average value of 79 dB on the SPL meter, with a maximum of 88 dB, I heard no overdrive, which means that the Japanese amplifier has considerable current efficiency. However, it's important to know that in a larger room and sitting farther away from the speakers than I did, you'll have to think about speakers with much higher efficiency."

I would say he is incorrect about the 40.1 being current-hungry as they are not.

I would also not blame the use of Russian tubes just because they're made in Russia.

Reactions: analogsa and Klonk

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have found good SET amplifiers sound better with all speakers (with volume limitations being the drawback)

If you cannot hear the bloated bass, sluggishness, or dynamic restraints when they underdrive speakers.
Regardless, Kondo is going to make most stuff sound better
Really! You haven't heard Kaguras drive Apogee Diva or Magico then (and those were the more powerful Kaguras). The Souga did not sound anywhere as good with Diesis as the Gakuoh 2 or Kagura. And there are reports of Ongaku not sounding good without the Kondo preamp _ personally heard it without the preamp and preferred the Absolare on the Diesis.
Lastly, not all reviewers are multi-millionaires who own ten $100,000 amplifiers to try and ten $100,000 speakers to try and ten $100,000 turntables and five $20,000 phono stages and five $20,000 carts to try. and ten $50,000 cables and ten $50,000 power cords.

Specious logic He doesn't have to be, he just needs to organize for some other SETS for compares, and roll tubes on a 300b amp. The SETs don't have to be 100k amps. But, there is no point in a review comparing the Gakuoh to Soulution on an Harbeth just to fill up space.
Lastly, the reviewer notes the issues.

"This is an amplifier that plays with a sound of powerful scale and wide range. Within the constraints of the Harbeth M40.1's low efficiency and current-hungry nature, the scale, dynamics, power - all were superb."

"Sitting quite close to the Harbeths, about 50 cm closer than usual, reading an average value of 79 dB on the SPL meter, with a maximum of 88 dB, I heard no overdrive, which means that the Japanese amplifier has considerable current efficiency. However, it's important to know that in a larger room and sitting farther away from the speakers than I did, you'll have to think about speakers with much higher efficiency."

I would say he is incorrect about the 40.1 being current-hungry as they are not.

Within those constraints, the other noted attributes become pointless.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
For example, an old B&W Matrix 800 was already a good-natured speaker with a high efficiency of 93dB only one dip under 6ohm.why not B&W. My cousin runs it with 10-12 watt RS 1003 tube amp. Not a party level but totally clean in the bass. 20230518_141212.jpg

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I read the review twice (and carefully). And although I own the Gakuoh mk I pp amps I recently had the pleasure to listen the Gakuoh mk ii version in combination with my (pretty) efficient Tidal La Assoluta loudspeakers (no impedance drops below 4 ohm) for about a week. The way the reviewer describes the sound of these mk ii amps implies (to me anyway) that they were not an ideal match with his loudspeakers (and possibly nor with his pre amp). In my audio set up (with the Kondo g-1000 linestage, top notch (Tripoint Audio) grounding and two platforms of pure, oxygen free copper (5cm thick and weighing each around 70 kg) the mk ii amps sounded inter alia ultra fast, agile and transparent. Although the reviewer does not use the word I believe we agree that these amps sound very pure.

Last edited:

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
The B/W's are used as they are fairly hard to drive. They use them to test the driving capability of some of the Kondo amplifiers.
That’s what Masaki San told me during my visit to Kondo factory. He also added that those B&W speakers’ relatively flat response help to reveal differences.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
That’s what Masaki San told me during my visit to Kondo factory. He also added that those B&W speakers’ relatively flat response help to reveal differences.
The new versions of the B&W 800 are all well below 4 ohms and have poorer efficiency. Good for test , listen at home no way for me with set amps.Without impedance correction it won't sound good.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I read the review twice (and carefully). And although I own the Gakuoh mk I pp amps I recently had the pleasure to listen the Gakuoh mk ii version in combination with my (pretty) efficient Tidal La Assoluta loudspeakers (no impedance drops below 4 ohm) for about a week. The way the reviewer describes the sound of these mk ii amps implies (to me anyway) that they were not an ideal match with his loudspeakers (and possibly nor with his pre amp). In my audio set up (with the Kondo g-1000 linestage, top notch (Tripoint Audio) grounding and two platforms of pure, oxygen free copper (5cm thick and weighing each around 70 kg) the mk ii amps sounded inter alia ultra fast, agile and transparent. Although the reviewer does not use the word I believe we agree that these amps sound very pure.
Could be that it is a different way to describe what's heard. English is not the native language of this reviewer (in the past his reviews were translated by someone...).

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Long story short; I heard Kondo Ongaku with various speakers and I also heard some of those speakers with AN UK Ongaku. For example when paired with Focal Stella AN UK Ongaku clearly struggles on control and liveliness where Kondo Ongaku easily handles. The same is also true with Kharma Exquisite Midi. Obviously both amps are not good matches for Stella but Kondo deals it elegantly without being embarrassed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing