SUT Shootout

Bling23

Aug 3, 2020
Ireland
Hi all,

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare some top end SUT's. I am switching from MM to MC and will use an SUT into MM phono. A few that I am looking at are below but would consider others also.

- Kondo SFZ MC
- Audio Note Japan
- Audio Note UK
- Consolodated Audio

Thanks
Sean

Unknown.jpeg

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Phasemation T-2000.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Really good sound

Reactions: sujay and Bling23

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Last edited:
Reactions: Bling23

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
There was a shoot out in the U.K. with AN S8 and Slagle silver. I wasn’t there but the guys found it close and one guy bought the Slagle silver. I heard his system with the AN IO gold and AN M7 Japan phono plus preamp, sounds incredibly good.

anyway if you get all these SUTs please let me know and I will fly over to help in the shootout.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtemur and Bling23

Bling23

Aug 3, 2020
Ireland
Phasemation T-2000.

I’ve heard good things about this

Reactions: Coimbra and XV-1

Bling23

Aug 3, 2020
Ireland
Both are the same product.

It's the replica of the above.

Very good sounding SUT from Germany.

You can't go wrong with any of them. All (Kondo, AN UK, Consolidated Audio) are very good sounding SUTs but I prefer Kondo SFz.
Not exactly true and as always the devil is in the detail.
ANJ and Kondo are same manufacturer yes but the SFz is not the same product as ANJ 8 for instance.
AN is not a replica of either rather a separate company with similar name etc , most know the Kondo/ANUK split.
The consolidated audio does look interesting.Have you had opportunity to directly compare any all of these by any chance. Maybe you could give some insight, thanks

Bling23

Aug 3, 2020
Ireland
There was a shoot out in the U.K. with AN S8 and Slagle silver. I wasn’t there but the guys found out close and one guy bought the Slagle silver. I heard his system with the AN IO gold sounds incredibly good.

anyway if you get all these SUTs please let me know and I will fly over to help in the shootout.
It would be nice to set up, unfortunately my pockets aren’t deep enough to purchase all I’m afraid.

Wutang-401`

Dec 6, 2023
Sydney, Australia
@Bling23 i used the Auditorium T2 with a Denon 103 cart and it was great and more budget.

I've used AN MC carts (iO1 and iOGold) with S3, S4 and S9. I think the AN SUTs are amazing but of course they cost alot and are only any good with AN carts (I couldn't find other brand carts that had similarly low output).

I found my S4 second hand for about $4k aud - i think they retail for close to $12k AUD.

the s4 compared to the s3 was 100% worth it. a sound that is natively pleasing. plus resolution and dynamics etc. magical. i've heard the s9 for limited periods and it is fantastic.

Reactions: Bling23

Bling23

Aug 3, 2020
Ireland
@Bling23 i used the Auditorium T2 with a Denon 103 cart and it was great and more budget.

I've used AN MC carts (iO1 and iOGold) with S3, S4 and S9. I think the AN SUTs are amazing but of course they cost alot and are only any good with AN carts (I couldn't find other brand carts that had similarly low output).

I found my S4 second hand for about $4k aud - i think they retail for close to $12k AUD.

the s4 compared to the s3 was 100% worth it. a sound that is natively pleasing. plus resolution and dynamics etc. magical. i've heard the s9 for limited periods and it is fantastic.
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Congrats on the S4 thats a nice price too. I think the S4 is the introduction to silver so brings you the honey. Thats good info i will keep a lookout for one. Sean

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I am using 1:10 Consolidated Audio for High Imp carts, like Soundsmith or vdh.
For low Imp carts, like MSL and derivatives I prefer Kondo SFZ.
For all others, like Koetsu, Etsuro and more I prefer T -2000.

your decision should be very much cartridge driven

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Hi Jürgen,
and how do you like the high impedance input of the Kondo SFz with higher impedance cartridges in comparison to the 1:10 Consolidated?

Bling23

Aug 3, 2020
Ireland
I am using 1:10 Consolidated Audio for High Imp carts, like Soundsmith or vdh.
For low Imp carts, like MSL and derivatives I prefer Kondo SFZ.
For all others, like Koetsu, Etsuro and more I prefer T -2000.

your decision should be very much cartridge driven
Thanks for that I was actually looking at all of those , the SFZ is meant to be really good on lvl like AN 8 or 9 and I’ve read the Consolidated audio is very good value. I know you run different carts with them but how would you describe their sound differences likes or dislikes I would be really interested to know your thoughts. Thanks

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Hi Jürgen,
and how do you like the high impedance input of the Kondo SFz with higher impedance cartridges in comparison to the 1:10 Consolidated?
The Kondo SFZ (I am using the first generation of SFZ) is better in all regards, but on the other hand a lot more expensive too

Reactions: Birdwatcher

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
Il Kondo SFZ (sto usando la prima generazione di SFZ) è migliore sotto tutti gli aspetti, ma d'altra parte è anche molto
Good morning shakti I'm bothering you again. for loading my msl Platinum Signature. I currently use a Ypisilon MC 10 L transformer with my allnic 7000v phono preamp with kR or gec u 52 rectifier valve. I did some tests with the internal step ups of the phono preamp or with the allnic aut 8000 step up. I'm tempted to buy the MSL 1030 which is different from the Ypsilon (10X I read a 470 ohms load) or the Allnic 8000 (13X 22db I read a 270 ohms load) it would give me a gain of 26 db with an impedance of 470 ohms. You who have tried everything, would you take this step? I currently prefer the ypsilon over the other options. Next week I will be in Paris and I would like to go and see François and I could probably find some other alternatives there. Apart from the kondo which costs a fortune and the EMI which to get it to Italy, the copper version with the customs involved would cost the same as the silver one, what would you recommend?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
The MSL 1030 is a 1:20 SUT. I assume a parallel resistor as MSL recommends the SUT for carts between 0,6 and 6ohm.

In Germany the Phasemation T-1000 has a similar price , the Consolidated Audio silver 1:20 as well.

I do like the little darker T-1000, some friends prefer the silver Consolidated Audio for the increased level
of details. The MSL is in regard of tonal balance between the 2 others.

All should be on offer at Ana Mighty

Reactions: Massimo66

JRW1971

Dec 21, 2021
Good morning shakti I'm bothering you again. for loading my msl Platinum Signature. I currently use a Ypisilon MC 10 L transformer with my allnic 7000v phono preamp with kR or gec u 52 rectifier valve. I did some tests with the internal step ups of the phono preamp or with the allnic aut 8000 step up. I'm tempted to buy the MSL 1030 which is different from the Ypsilon (10X I read a 470 ohms load) or the Allnic 8000 (13X 22db I read a 270 ohms load) it would give me a gain of 26 db with an impedance of 470 ohms. You who have tried everything, would you take this step? I currently prefer the ypsilon over the other options. Next week I will be in Paris and I would like to go and see François and I could probably find some other alternatives there. Apart from the kondo which costs a fortune and the EMI which to get it to Italy, the copper version with the customs involved would cost the same as the silver one, what would you recommend?
The MSL 1030 works very nicely with the Plat Sig. That’s what I strongly preferred over my Ypsilon SUT. Also, Sound Tradition MC 907 is a great match for that cart.

Reactions: Massimo66

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing