Audio Magic Nano-Liquid Fuses---mikey likey :)

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
The danger is that if the audiophile fuses are not properly certified or have any ratings, they will be over-rated so that they don't blow. Imagine how many disgruntled customers there would be if you bought a $100 fuse, put it in and it blows the first time you turn it on. Then, if the fuse if over-rated for your application and it doesn't blow when it needs to protect your gear........

One of the reasons that I asked for basic measurements to assure that they meet spec....

Lee

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Cooper Bussmann make some of the best fuses. Schurter is another brand that I trust for fuses. Even within their fuse families, you can find fuses ranging from $1 to $20 each, and it isn't the most expensive that is the best fuse to apply.

What is interesting is that Schurter offer an audio fuse (gold plated and described as audio purpose), also Schurter provide all the ratings-spec you ever want to see.
Downside though is that more information is needed to know if any of the other audio fuse companies are contracting Schurter for an OEM product.
But if specs worry then someone can try to buy the Schurter audio fuse, problem is I can only see a minimum of 100 fuses order, but this is balanced against a price of around 7 to 10 euros.
Although a pain when requiring multiple rated fuses.
Gary, any idea who the audio fuse companies OEM their product from? I have doubts they build them from scratch but I guess possible (maybe same way some audio cable companies can OEM spec-contract with original cable manufacturers - must emphasise quite a few do also manufacturer their own cable from scratch).
Cheers
Orb

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Thanks Gary post for #168!

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
This is a great thread. Thanks Gary for that very informative post. WBF remains the forum against which all others are judged :)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Gary, any idea who the audio fuse companies OEM their product from? I have doubts they build them from scratch but I guess possible (maybe same way some audio cable companies can OEM spec-contract with original cable manufacturers - must emphasise quite a few do also manufacturer their own cable from scratch).
Cheers
Orb

Sorry, I have no idea. I was just picking fuses to include in my product - not thinking of selling them for a profit.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
I just saw an old thread about "Improvements To The VPI HW-16.5 Record Cleaning Machine" and using a HiFi Tuning fuse and how to orient it!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I just saw an old thread about "Improvements To The VPI HW-16.5 Record Cleaning Machine" and using a HiFi Tuning fuse and how to orient it!

:)

Speedskater,

The fuse orientation tweak is only relevant in the VPI HW-16.5, as it does not have a rotation direction switch - you can use the fuse orientation to control the platter rotation direction. In the VPI 17 you should use the switch to perform this function much easier. Only the fuses manufactured in full moon nights have this interesting property.
VPI do not list this feature in the 16.5 manual to oblige us to buy the 17 to have bidirectional cleaning. We should keep this secret only for the two of us - otherwise we will be asked to prove it.

:) Just in case someone is taking this seriously - END OF JOKE :)

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
:)

Speedskater,

The fuse orientation tweak is only relevant in the VPI HW-16.5, as it does not have a rotation direction switch - you can use the fuse orientation to control the platter rotation direction. In the VPI 17 you should use the switch to perform this function much easier. Only the fuses manufactured in full moon nights have this interesting property.
VPI do not list this feature in the 16.5 manual to oblige us to buy the 17 to have bidirectional cleaning. We should keep this secret only for the two of us - otherwise we will be asked to prove it.

:) Just in case someone is taking this seriously - END OF JOKE :)

Seriously, just kidding, we need more jokes to lighten up the seriousness of our joking.;)

Orb

Sep 8, 2010

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
You should be able to get them in single pieces from Digikey:
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dkse...oducts=0&ptm=0&fid=0&quantity=0&PV7=3&stock=1

However, please heed my warnings in post #161.

Thanks Gary.
Although these and AMR should be fine because they provide the information you need to carefully match to manufacturer product requirement, and are certified-approved to a certain point.
The issue I see are nearly all the others that do not seem to have their spec and class easily shown, and also their approval.
And one oops from me, one point to mention as well is size as I highlighted only the 5x20mm Schurter - me bad.

Cheers
Orb

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I should also note that according to Schurter, the only reason these are gold plated as opposed to their normal fuses is that they are designed to be flow-surface mounted, as well as used as a normal cartridge type.

As with all things audio, your ears will tell you if they sound better to you. I would also try other fuses. Depending on the care to which the original manufacturer chose the "correct" fuse, in your application they might not sound any better.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Gary, thank-you for your knowledge. Much appreciated.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
i got the fuses from Darin (club president) at Jaguar Audio Design, same place Andrew got his.

here is the actual site to order.

http://store.jaguaraudiodesign.com/audio-magic-liquid-fuses/

you choose the 'super' ($100) fuse with the drop down menu, not premium ($59). then enter the spec of your fuse....order, and pay with paypal thru the site. these are custom built to order, takes a few days and they get shipped back to Darin. i got mine in about 10 days.

if you are not local like Bruce, Darin would ship them to you directly.

Thanks Mike. My Preamp Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme blew today during a brief power outage. I just bought two of these Audio magic nano Super fuses for both the Preamp and Phonostage.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Thanks Mike. My Preamp Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme blew today during a brief power outage. I just bought two of these Audio magic nano Super fuses for both the Preamp and Phonostage.

I blew two Hi-Fi 's on my preamp in a week and gave up on them. They have been doing fine in my poweramp and conditioners for well over a year though.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I know some of you feel these fuses *sound* great, but when I see the words 'magic' 'nano' and 'super' all in the name of a fuse, it kind of makes your BS detector peg the needle since fuses aren't nano, super, or magic in their operation. Somehow I doubt any EE would buy a fuse that used any of those descriptors in its title even if the magic nano super fuse was the same price as a non-magic nano super fuse.

It's also interesting that both Christian and Edorr blew Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses in their respective preamps with Edorr blowing two in one week. Blowing one $100 fuse is a bitch. Blowing two of them in one week is a real super nano bitch.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I know some of you feel these fuses *sound* great, but when I see the words 'magic' 'nano' and 'super' all in the name of a fuse, it kind of makes your BS detector peg the needle since fuses aren't nano, super, or magic in their operation. Somehow I doubt any EE would buy a fuse that used any of those descriptors in its title even if the magic nano super fuse was the same price as a non-magic nano super fuse.

It's also interesting that both Christian and Edorr blew Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme fuses in their respective preamps with Edorr blowing two in one week. Blowing one $100 fuse is a bitch. Blowing two of them in one week is a real super nano bitch.

My fuse was a bit over a year old that blew. Thought I would try the magic nano for kicks.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Christian-Let us know what you think once you have the fuse installed and have listened to it for awhile.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing