Are low-priced cables a scam?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I still scratch my head at people who review power cords as if they were reviewing a preamp or power amp. They talk about the bass, midrange, and highs the PC has. They talk about the how the PC soundstages. The PC is not a preamp or power amp. It has no gain. Here in the U.S., It’s simply transferring 120v/60 Hz from your wall to your electronics. That’s it. No magic here. Many PCs have oversized IEC connectors and they won’t plug in firmly into your preamp or power amp which leaves a path for RFI and EMI to enter in through the gap. If I have to prop up a PC to try and get it to hang straight into the gear so it doesn’t try and pull itself out of the IEC connector due to its own weight, you can have it.

Couldn't disagree with you more strongly Mark about Power Cords :) Now, most don't cut the mustard and the cure is often worse than the disease :( But when you find that cable that works with your gear, it can transform dynamics, low end, etc. You should hear the difference between Silver Circles Vesuvius Mk. 1 and Mk. 2 cables used with their own 5se PLC! It is not subtle at all.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Couldn't disagree with you more strongly Mark about Power Cords :) Now, most don't cut the mustard and the cure is often worse than the disease :( But when you find that cable that works with your gear, it can transform dynamics, low end, etc. You should hear the difference between Silver Circles Vesuvius Mk. 1 and Mk. 2 cables used with their own 5se PLC! It is not subtle at all.

Not surprising and of course such effects however physical in nature that they remain can't be measured :rolleyes:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If I am understanding this correctly, Shunyata is doing something very unusual. I've always admired their cables, especially their speaker cables. The Aurora model of 2 years ago was astronomically expensive due to complex helix braiding that had to be done by hand. To be honest I've never heard or known anyone that had a private pair but in some salons (i.e. Goodwins) they sounded spectacular. Now Shunyata has announced a "new, revolutionary design. Yeah, yeah, we've heard that before. But the catch is, they say its not only better than anything they've ever done but the prices are actually "reasonable", whatever that means. So what's the story? Are their new Powersnake interconnects and speaker cables even better than their excellent uber-pried cables of the recent past? And how much are they? Are they truly affordable?

If this is true, they should be warned- they may be thrown out of the high-end over-priced cable club. Seriously, this one intrigues me. What's the story?

I also admire Shunyata cables - all my power cords are of the old Shunyata Anaconda Helix type and still keep some Antares and Orion signal cables - I do not change cables too often.
Prior to Shunyata cables I never bought any power cable - I don't see any reason why a power cable should sound better than good electrical cables. I have tried several times reverting to normal powercords, but the difference was too obvious to go back.

I do not like the idea of changing cables, but I am really curious to try these new ones. It seems Shunyata is reverting to the old days, when their top cables, the Antares and Orion, were very decently priced. Will the new ones be a match to current state of the art cables?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Just picked up 2 pair of EMOTIVA X Series RCA cables as I needed them to connect my EQ. The build quality in terms of construction is very, very nice, and I am quite happy with the purchase.

They run $37.98 for a 1-metre pair. I bought mine used and paid $50CDN for 2 pairs shipping included. Nice!:)

I mention it as I think it's another quality alternative for inexpensive cabling.

Happy easter!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Are low priced cables a scam

NO , just get some good copperstrands with teflon coating ,and spend the money on a vacation :D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I do believe in good connectors though, i would suggest to get some good connectors and solder yourself , cardas sells a lot of good solid copper stuff
bindingposts /spades from billet copper although the rca are not solid copper but brass , like most of them out there i reckon( to thin )
I use copper speakerconnectors from mundorf ,also good
beautifull machined copper no brass(garbage) here

CCBPL by andromeda61, on Flickr

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?area=oem&content_id=11&pagestring=Binding+Posts

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I do believe in good connectors though, i would suggest to get some good connectors and solder yourself , cardas sells a lot of good solid copper stuff
bindingposts /spades from billet copper although the rca are not solid copper but brass , like most of them out there i reckon( to thin )
I use copper speakerconnectors from mundorf ,also good
beautifull machined copper no brass(garbage) here

CCBPL by andromeda61, on Flickr

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?area=oem&content_id=11&pagestring=Binding+Posts

I agree. WBT conectors are also an excellent upgrade.
They (copper binding posts) came with my Moscode 402au and I had them isntalled on my ML CLS1 I never A/B them but the sound is great. Moscode 300 and 600 had serious problems in that area. Most of it mechinical.

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
Cable discussions were endless, are endless and will be endless :D
I know Audiophiles who can live with cheap (but good Cables, me for example, I bought Signal Cable some time ago and they are good) and I also know Audiophiles who can't sleep well when they can't spend 6000$ for a meter.
Cables transfer information, we all know that, materials have different abilities to transfer Information (AES Standard) and this is also valid for the connectors (or the solder).
The manufacturers know that of course. Based on that, you will NEVER find one of their cheaper cables with their top connectors (best connector is silver btw., followed from highest purity copper).
It also does not make much sense when you buy real good cables, cheap or expensive, it doesn't matter, when your contact at the preamp or amp or speaker is cheap brass (very low from AES Standard).
When you are a wealthy Audiophile, buy one of those thick, expensive cables, cut it and look what branding is onto the leads ;)...Belden is not so uncommon...

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
It also does not make much sense when you buy real good cables, cheap or expensive, it doesn't matter, when your contact at the preamp or amp or speaker is cheap brass (very low from AES Standard).
That's the heart of "real" tweaking: truly understanding where the critical weakness are, and addressing them. Otherwise, yes, you've wasted your money ...

Frank

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
That's the heart of "real" tweaking: truly understanding where the critical weakness are, and addressing them. Otherwise, yes, you've wasted your money ...

Frank

Why is it that people won't trust their ears but their eyes are OK? Eyes can be fooled just as easily.

There is a clear difference in picture quality between the stock crap HDMI cable they [Time-Warner here] provide and even the lower priced Monster Cable video cables. But there can't be for audio?

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Why is it that people won't trust their ears but their eyes are OK?
Eyes can be fooled just as easily.

There is a clear difference in picture quality between the stock crap HDMI cable they provide and even the lower priced Monster Cable video cables. But there can't be for audio?

Yes that sir!
...I was thinking exactly that for the last several years and waiting for someone to mention it.

And it just happened that that someone is you, Myles. :b

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
There seems to be more logic behind this guy than a lot of high end cable guys , rca s made from silver /teflon surrounds .
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/aural-thrills-audio-silver-teflon-rca-s-compare-to-wbt--2

Andromedaaudio,

Believe me, there is no logic in cables :( . We do not know why they sound different.
IMHO, aspects such as purity of the metals and clean materials are important for manufacturers because they want repeatability - they must have cables that have some stable sound signature and avoid non controllable artifacts.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Well i ll just stay with optimal/good conductivity , and optimal isolation then(teflon), i m definetively not gonna spend $$$ on it .
1. there are so many superior cables and superior techniques , that logic is totally out of whack.
2. There is no real value as second hand prices drop like a stone .
3 . with that amount of money there are real improvements to be made elsewhere.

As soon as i have my new speakers ready the importer of lamm in holland is gonna come over for a listen , but he insisted he d install Jena labs as well as he imports them also:D, so we will see

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing