Anyone Hear this? Living Stereo - The Full Collection Box

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I'm not sure this is the gospel on particular recordings, but it might serve as a good introduction to classical works and recordings generally. http://www.classicalnotes.net/

Interesting to read and compare [really briefly] my own notes...I have been fascinated by Furtwangler for a short while now...and have been searching for a mastering that wont make the audiophile in me cringe. Thanks...generally enjoy going thru the Penguin Guide my wife bought me a couple of years ago. 75% of my collection is from there.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Interesting to read and compare [really briefly] my own notes...I have been fascinated by Furtwangler for a short while now...and have been searching for a mastering that wont make the audiophile in me cringe. Thanks...generally enjoy going thru the Penguin Guide my wife bought me a couple of years ago. 75% of my collection is from there.
I forgot that the Germans invented the tape recorder and Furt took advantage of that. Are you familiar with this society?

http://www.furtwangler.net/bestchoice.html

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I forgot that the Germans invented the tape recorder and Furt took advantage of that. Are you familiar with this society?

Thanks, Whart! I've gone to the website and decided after listening to a few online versions to get CDs of 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 from Tahra as recommended by the Furtwangler society.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Tahra of france also just released a new Furtwangler 24/96 remaster of Beethoven 3rd Symphony...picked that one up as well...different year...given that the original remasters i picked up 2nd hand had good remasters on 6,7,8,9 with 3, 5 needing work, this makes a nice complement.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Thanks, Whart! I've gone to the website and decided after listening to a few online versions to get CDs of 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 from Tahra as recommended by the Furtwangler society.

I think you if you make a donation, you can get a wallet-sized card that identifies you as a member. It is honored in some restaurants and shops. :) Gotta love the intra-web.

On a more serious note, he apparently took serious issue with the Nazis although he remained in Germany, and helped artists and others who fell into their clutches. His biography would probably be a fascinating read and a worthwhile addition to listening to his music. I'm sure I have some old sets transcribed to 33, i will have to dig them out. Enjoy.
One other fascinating footnote, apparently the Russians grabbed a lot of the tapes, I think these were the BPO from 1942-44, and they only discovered better quality masters among them in the late 1980's, from what I read. There is a book by Ardoin on his recordings, but I'm not sure if it captures these lost recordings, which apparently were rereleased and among those listed in the Society's selections, e.g. Testament.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I think you if you make a donation, you can get a wallet-sized card that identifies you as a member. It is honored in some restaurants and shops. :) Gotta love the intra-web.

On a more serious note, he apparently took serious issue with the Nazis although he remained in Germany, and helped artists and others who fell into their clutches. His biography would probably be a fascinating read and a worthwhile addition to listening to his music. I'm sure I have some old sets transcribed to 33, i will have to dig them out. Enjoy.
One other fascinating footnote, apparently the Russians grabbed a lot of the tapes, I think these were the BPO from 1942-44, and they only discovered better quality masters among them in the late 1980's, from what I read. There is a book by Ardoin on his recordings, but I'm not sure if it captures these lost recordings, which apparently were rereleased and among those listed in the Society's selections, e.g. Testament.

Hi Whart,

Thanks again...i did some more reading on the Tahra website...i elected to cxl my Amazon order on 3, 5, 6, 7, 8 and instead just ordered 2 new CD/SACD remasters of [supposedly] a definitive Furtwangler 3 and also a 9...and the rest are also being remastered now, and so i decided to wait until they come out. I have heard the 8 which already sounds great...but thought why buy 4 other symphonies now when they are hopefully going to be remastered in a number of [months?].

I will say this...having grown accustomed to van Karajan '63 Remastered...i found it exceedingly easy to prefer the Furtwangler 3, 5, 7 and 9 i managed to hear...by quite some margin. i was surprised. and look forward to the remasters of the rest of the Berlin recordings (4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing