Any of you guys (girls) ever get fired from your job unjustly and ...

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Remember the only onethat really owes you free speech is the government.

Really? They are the first ones to take it away my friend. I live in a PC world, trust me.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I think we have swung the pendulum in the other direction too far. Everything is too "PC". We've gone overboard trying not to offend anyone.

Agreed. A few thoughts come to mind:

1. The right to offend is more important than the right to not be offended. That is, freedom to express oneself should not be limited on the grounds that "someone might be offended".

2. I actually find people being overly-PC mildly offensive, so their perpetrators are guilty of doing exactly that which they set out to avoid (i.e., offending people).

3. People need to understand that words are not offensive; it's their intended meaning that's important.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Free speech means I can say what I want about anything, anybody, anytime. It doesn't mean than anybody else can.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

1. The right to offend is more important than the right to not be offended. That is, freedom to express oneself should not be limited on the grounds that "someone might be offended".

2. I actually find people being overly-PC mildly offensive, so their perpetrators are guilty of doing exactly that which they set out to avoid (i.e., offending people).

3. People need to understand that words are not offensive; it's their intended meaning that's important.

More how they are interpreted by the ones who read them! :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Oh I forgot, I was banned on Audioholics! They also deleted all my 4,000 posts!
* This was the worst forum I've ever been on; for some really nasty people!

The deletion of my 4,000 posts is the worst crime ever commited towards me on the Internet!
The vast majority of those posts were informative, helpful and very positive. The others were humoristic and pleasant.
This was the place where I saw the most hatred from the Internet. And that's too bad because there are some very nice people there too. ...Like anywhere else.

Last edited:

mep

Apr 20, 2010

Rich-You are my kind of guy. I would drink a beer with you anytime.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Oh I forgot, I was banned on Audioholics! They also deleted all my 4,000 posts!
* This was the worst forum I've ever been; for some really nasty people!

The deletion of my 4,000 posts is the worst crime ever commited towards me on the Internet!
The vast majority of those posts were informative, helpful and very positive. The others were humoristic and pleasant.
This was the place where I saw the most hatred from the Internet. And that's too bad because there are some very nice people there too. ...Like anywhere else.

You're my kind of guy.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
I got banned from DSLReports.com because I was a sales rep in the Primerica MLM in 2006.

Banned from AVScience forum because someone had accused me of copyright violation because of a review I'd written on my own web site about a certain video camera, using some random screen grabs I found on the web to show various examples (the images were not marked copyrighted by the amateurs who posted them). The mods IMed me, gave me five minutes to respond (I wasn't even home) and then banned me permanently over that.

Pre-banned from DVinfo.net, because the fallout from AVS carried over to DVi by a member of both forums. When I asked the owner to remove the libelous thread about me, he refused. I threatened legal action, he eventually removed the thread. In the interim, when I tried to join, so that I could present my side of the story, I was pre-banned and they would not approve my application.

I self banned myself from Home Theater Shack when, after two years as a member, I was suddenly informed of an unknown 'rule' they had against having 'commercial' business links in one's signature line. My personal livelihood's site was disallowed, even though they had not told me about it when I'd signed up 2 years earlier. I cited that their ToS didn't mention a ban on personal self-owned businesses, even unrelated to HT. The mods didn't agree, so I deleted all my own posts from their entire board using Edit functions and stayed away. Later, they asked me to join a sister board of theirs, and I read the ToS, discovered a lot of religious BS in there (you can't say "hell" for instance) and wrote them a nice nastygram saying they should not waste my time if they can't even get a clear ToS (they never corrected theirs) that doesn't hang users out to dry later on.

I've been blocked from posting on ObjectivismOnline.net, because the site owner is an egotistical young fella who didn't like me from the start when I informed him that his forum was infected with a virus. He retorted that I didn't know how to run a PC. Months later, it came out that OOL DID have a virus connected with one of the skins used for the forums, and I never received apology. They later blocked me because they didn't like some of my increasingly negative posts about property taxes, but other members got away with far more militant postings without a ban. They just don't like me over there. Young brats.

As for jobs, I never got directly fired, but I was asked to resign a few times or be fired.. I wasn't very good at grunt work and taking orders, or working in sweatshops. I retired in 1984 and have been largely self (un)employed ever since.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I like what I read, and I like the people who wrote it!

Mark that is a great post man! :cool: Lol I luv people that are honest and not afraid! :)

It's people like you who invite communication, open discussions in a true and comfortable and constructive approach. Some' like that anyway.

Lol I got so many stories in this lifetime; they will pop up eventually one at a time...
It is very important for me to be well informed wherever I go in life, and I like my face-to-face exchanges with the people who are behind the lines and have something to hide or strange behaviors at times.

I am quite new to the Wide Web World as I only 'touched' a computer for the first time in my life only a few years back! Honest! I bought my very first computer ever about two years ago! Never had one before that! Within one month only I got the "Blue Screen of Death"! Caput! Lol!
Total cost, ZERO! It was free! ...Then I bought another one (for some $$$ this time), and everything I learned on my own!

I'm very glad that I started this thread, I feel better already. :cool:

* Stay tuned, much more to come... :)

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Maybe there should be a web site that only allows membership for people who have been banned at a website. Of course, that would mean that if you have never been banned, you would be banned, and then you could get in anyway.
Back to the drawing board.

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
The term "at will" comes to mind when I read this thread, and it's spreading like the plague. I was fired or forced into retirement 8 years ago, being banned from a audio forum is a walk in the park compared to that.

Carry on!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I know one thing, there are some sad stories in here. If you have been pre-banned from a forum, you might have some issues that need to be addressed.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Ahem, in the USA, no WE are not!

The government, once you leave small town alderperson/mayor government,

is actually two parties, and the people in those two parties choose what candidates will be put forward for you to vote on.

If no one in the USA voted, except the people in the two parties, nothing would change, the two parties would still be in power.

Picture this, you are pretty sure your kid does not want to do something....so you offer them two alternatives to choose, but each results in you getting what you want, and they think they have choice...

Tom
Tom, That is so true...LOL.:D:D:D
Shame that hardly anyone seems to realize that, except for us and George Orwell ....:D:D

Waboman

Sep 21, 2010
MN
I'm banned on Martin Logan Owners.

Really, Greg? I didn't think anyone has been banned from the Logan site. It must've been a doozy.:D

Well, I'm banned on the Shack! ...But I feel fine about it! ...And the reason was invalid!

I'm also banned on AVS, but that was a big mistake from the mod!

I'm also banned on Ultra-High End, and that one was totally uncalled for?

I'm also banned on Blu-ray, and hatred is at play here! No good reason whatsoever!
...Could also be total misunderstanding!?!

Hey Bob.

Lol. That's an impressive list. I thought your bluray forum was just a suspension and not a ban?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Maybe there should be a web site that only allows membership for people who have been banned at a website. Of course, that would mean that if you have never been banned, you would be banned, and then you could get in anyway.
Back to the drawing board.

:D:D ...Best laugh so far today!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing