Is Your Loudspeaker Perfect For You?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Do you consider your loudspeaker perfect for your personal sonic preferences and perfect for your ears?

Do you believe that loudspeakers are the most difficult or "problematic" category of components?

Do you believe there is such a thing as the "perfect" loudspeaker for you personally? Or is some compromise, large or small, inevitably part of the equation of every loudspeaker. (A "compromise" could be in size of loudspeaker or drive requirements or frequency balance or dynamics or transparency or any of the sonic characteristics we ever talk about.)

How would you apply these questions to your current loudspeaker?

Reactions: paolo

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Do you consider your loudspeaker perfect for your personal sonic preferences and perfect for your ears?

Do you believe that loudspeakers are the most difficult or "problematic" category of components?

Do you believe there is such a thing as the "perfect" loudspeaker for you personally? Or is some compromise, large or small, inevitably part of the equation of every loudspeaker. (A "compromise" could be in size of loudspeaker or drive requirements or frequency balance or dynamics or transparency or any of the sonic characteristics we ever talk about.)

Agree on loudspeakers being the most difficult and problematic Part to solve in any Hifi system.

Regards

Reactions: paolo

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Funny I don't think they are the hardest part to solve. I think a lot of them can represent everything else very well. Not do I REALLY like some more than others? Yes. But even in categories of ones I wouldn't typically be thinking about, I've heard really good sound.

Perfect for someone, yes, perfect? No. For me? I would like to do better.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
As I wrote in a review: "Selecting and assessing speakers without careful amplifier consideration is a fool's errand."
I second that (tima: I liked your review piece!).
I like my current loudspeaker- amp combo, but I cannot say it's "perfect"; in fact I don;t know, because I still have some way to go dialling in the system to the room...
Difficult, yes
The system in and of itself is a compromise in my case: I listen to classical and I ceretainly cannot fit a Mahlerian orchestra in my music room, regardless fo the speaker. And yes, there is compromise to be made according to the size of the room (hence loudspeaker, etc)
Please see under 1st question above.

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
Really interesting question. The answer is, kind of. I've been on an upgrade journey over the past few years, and one of the first things that changed was the speakers - my older Martin Logans (SL3) developed issues, so I replaced them with a newer model (Montis). They sounded good. But over the subsequent years, more new gear arrived, and with each arrival, they sounded ever better. In other words, the speakers were allowing the new gear to up the ante on overall sound quality - the speakers weren't the limiting factor, at least not yet. Once things settled, and the typical itch of dissatisfaction once again appeared I identified bass an an issue and added a sub. This transformed the overall sound once again. So, back to the answer - "kind of" - my electrostatics absolutely speak to my personal preference in sound, and they are supremely transparent, allowing the sound of the gear behind them to shine through, but ultimately I needed to add a sub to really get the sound I want to hear, so my current speakers don't fully satisfy. Perhaps there is a higher model that does, or perhaps good subs are always necessary... Either way, I'm currently in a very happy place and of all the changes I may have in mind, the speakers aren't currently one of them.

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia

Their not perfect, but they are the best I have heard ( for my taste and requirements )

I actually believe that the room and setup are the hardest thing. Then it's the source and then the speakers

There has to be compromises, no speaker can do it all and it is what matters the least that you let go of.

My speaker are very musically communicative, dynamic, are sensitive and easy to drive. However, they are limited in their bandwidth from 30Hz to 16KHz.

The frequency extremes are not that important to me

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I would say my speakers are nearly perfect because of my overall very high satisfaction with the sound, the integration with my room, and the fit within my budget.

Based on my experience, high quality setup is nearly everything but the associated amp pairing is critical as well.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i think we evolve as listeners. i suppose it's possible that we can be born as serious audiophiles fully formed with clear views on what we like, and clear references; but really it works quite the opposite.

in my own journey, i did evolve to a point where i did not want my loudspeaker to limit me. yet when i purchased my current speakers, now 12 years ago, i was not yet at a place where i realized where that might take me. i was still evolving. fortunately my room, system and loudspeakers were able to accommodate what became my current expectations.

so right now the answer is yes, they are the right loudspeakers for me. they touch all the bases. could there be better loudspeaker choices for me? sure. being very satisfied, does not mean we don't continue to be curious.

i think we are all somewhere on that path, as far as degrees of knowing how we we feel about the expectations for loudspeakers around the next corner.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
No. I know of "more perfect" speakers I can't afford or do not fit my room and constraints.

Yes, in the sense that overall logistics associated to speakers is by far the more challenging and disturbing.

Any speaker has compromises in sound quality. it is part of the process of stereo sound reproduction. So perfect will mean that we are able to accept and ignore its compromises - we become the "perfect" listener. An example - point like, linear and planar full driven speakers. They have very different radiating patterns, with large basic intrinsic sound differences.

It is not my current speaker, but the XLF was an excellent mix of compromises for my taste - the coherency of an electrostatic, imaging and detail approaching the ESL63 (nothing can reach it) , a reasonable size sweat spot, large soundstage, focused realistic and powerful sound sources in the sound stage and I could walk in the room without abrupt discontinuities.

Reactions: AudioHR

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
i think we evolve as listeners. i suppose it's possible that we can be born as serious audiophiles fully formed with clear views on what we like, and clear references; but really it works quite the opposite.
(...)

Just to point that IMO it is not possible. We must "learn" to listen to stereo. Two hundreds of thousands of years taught humans to interpret a physical sound field, but not to create an illusionary sound field from reproduction of a manipulated two channel sampling of the reality.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
When in the mood, I wish my speakers were larger to give a sense of scale and immersion.

When in the mood, I wish my speakers were smaller to give a sense of intimacy and calm.

I wish my speakers were like art that worked perfect, just where I wanted to place them.

I wish my speakers would easily become part of an AV system.

• Love
Reactions: gleeds and bonzo75

audioresurgence

Jul 30, 2019
It only took about 40 years but I’ve come to realize that speaker choice comes down to finding an acceptable compromise between performance extremes.
I’m no longer willing to sacrifice a third of my music collection because it’s rendered borderline unlistenable by my speakers/system. I’d rather lose some of the peak performance in favor of enjoying pretty much everything I listen to (classic rock, big band, trad jazz, etc…)

Example - Playing Genesis’ "Seconds Out" on Klipschorns put the concert in my room, and was one of the best listening experiences I’ve had from any system. But the same system completely destroyed the sound of other stuff I like to listen to, to the point where it was unplayable. A similar experience was had with the Magnepan 3.6R, Quad 57, Spatial Audio X3, Logan 11a, Sonus Faber Cremona, Piega C40, etc, etc.

I find the speakers I have now provide a fair compromise when it comes to balancing the performance extremes (ProAc D40R). They’re far from perfect but everything I push through them is quite enjoyable.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
When in the mood, I wish my speakers were larger to give a sense of scale and immersion.

When in the mood, I wish my speakers were smaller to give a sense of intimacy and calm.

I wish my speakers were like art that worked perfect, just where I wanted to place them.

I wish my speakers would easily become part of an AV system.

Ooohh. Very demanding! :)

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX

That's a lot of questions Ron :)

IME there is no perfect speaker and no perfect system. However, after listening to many speakers, my Vivids have what I value most in a speaker - dynamics, cohesiveness, accurate tonality and overall extraordinary realism. This, of course, is also relative to price (I still believe for the most part get what you pay for, even at high(est) end) which as of the last ~10 years seems limitless.

WRT speakers being difficult / problematic category - yes and no. Yes in that the speaker is the device that takes electrical signals and converts it to physical energy that we ultimately hear, so in that sense, it has, one could argue the most importance and as such, could be the most problematic. However, speakers have come a long way, and I believe many get a bad wrap when it's often the room, lack of / ineffective room treatment and / or the components that are to blame.

In terms of the perfect loudspeaker, it would be able to play tonally accurately, effortlessly at concert levels and command the same presence as the recording dictates (scale, dimension, spacial cue accuracy, etc). The vast majority of systems can't accomplish this. How much is the source quality, the room, room treatment and components varies per system.

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
Are my speakers perfect for my ears? No ... however I am so satisfied with the sound of the speakers and the rest of the system for that matter that at current time I have zero desire to upgrade anything at all and this is the first time in my life that has ever happened to me so ... maybe they are close to perfect for me after all ... :)

George

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Are my speakers perfect for my ears? No ... however I am so satisfied with the sound of the speakers and the rest of the system for that matter that at current time I have zero desire to upgrade anything at all and this is the first time in my life that has ever happened to me so ... maybe they are close to perfect for me after all ... :)

George
I am not surprised. I am a big fan of Wilson and subs driven by high quality power. You have it all. Enjoy.

Reactions: gadawg58

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing