Analog vs. digital music: What's better, and who cares?

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Big fan of Ralph's work and his style on the forums.

But I don't agree at all with some of his observations here.

This thread is too argumentative for me, so this is all I have to say. :b

Hello Jim, I am happy to discuss what you don't agree with and without rancor. I am concerned with getting things right as much as I can; in that regard I can also be the first to say that I have made plenty of mistakes. So I am curious- are you the same Jim Smith of the article linked earlier?

prerich

May 21, 2012
I love music......any kind of music! I love music.....just as long as its groovin'! Makes me laugh, makes me cry........and so on!!! ;)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
You and I are opposites. When it comes to music, I love to listen to it. Not frack with it. :)

We're not so different really...we just enjoy the experience in a different way. I'll admit that the quality of the sound is less important to me than the satisfaction I get from the music itself.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
We're not so different really...we just enjoy the experience in a different way. I'll admit that the quality of the sound is less important to me than the satisfaction I get from the music itself.
And since more than half of the music I listen to is only available in digital form it usually makes my decision easy!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Actually true analog methods are alive and well. In the US nearly every mastering house has a 6 month backlog. Some projects are on digital files and some are analog tape. We have been seeing about 50/50 at our mastering operation.

Well Atmasphere you are correct atleast this email I pulled off the Ampex list supports your observation. I made my conclusion from talking to RE's that I know. I hope I am wrong and do greet this email with much excitement.

Following up on my June 16th post, I discussed this with Mike Guerra,
Technical Operations Manager at Ocean Way Recording in Hollywood. Here is
what he had to share:

"I’ve been talking to Dan LaBrie over at ATR Services the past few weeks
who has unearthed microfilm even he didn’t know still existed of the
regulator card schematics and board layouts for the ATR-124 and is having
prints made for me. Incredibly, the schematics were never published in the
service manuals or released to the public, only the silkscreen layout and a
list of materials. During those inquiries, the conversation invariably
drifted towards what remained of support stock for the ATR-124’s and, at
one point, Dan made the striking revelation that we were the sole
commercial entity on the planet still operating the transports (of which we
have four) and that virtually no ATR-124 parts or assemblies were retained
as a result. (Dan couldn’t say when this happened, but I’m guessing back in
the late ‘90’s, long after its commercial utilization faded from view.)

This year in particular, our machines have seen a remarkable spike in use:
we just finished a session that burned through in excess of 50 reels of 2”
tape in two weeks flat. (They would have used more but we depleted the
available stock on the west coast, for the *third* time this year, so they
wound up rolling over outtakes as a workaround.) We’ve easily hosted over a
dozen extended sessions on the 2” machines over the past year, one of which
required me to fire up one of the old Dolby SR racks for the first time in
over ten years! Go figure…

The ATR-102 2 tracks have witnessed a marked resurgence in use as well but
coming up with tape has proven to be a very tricky, recurring problem.
(Seems that both ATR and RMG are unable to keep up with the renewed and
unexpected demand for tape, in any format. Who knew such a thing?) For
instance, we just completed our second “live to 2 track” session this year.
A progressive jazz sextet cut an entire album direct to 2 track (two of
them simultaneously, in fact) burning through two cases of ¼” tape over two
days. No overdubs, no mixing, bang, there’s your record… I would
conservatively estimate that over 25% of our mixing sessions now wind up on
½” tape either as the sole format or in conjunction with a print back to
the digital domain.

In recent conversations with Bruce Marien, the former chief tech here at
Ocean Way, (he was a master at servicing the ATR-124’s) he confirmed that 7
ATR-124’s were in the old Western Studios building at 6000 W Sunset Blvd
when Allen Sides sold that portion of Ocean Way in 1999. All 7 machines
eventually fell into disrepair, were decommissioned, stripped down to the
frames and disposed of. Bruce says he knows of at least one other machine
operating in Southern California at a private studio. (Down in Orange
County, I believe.)"

Regards,

Steve Jackson

Pulse Techniques, LLC

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Strike 2 guys

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I just copied Ralph's great post in case this thread gets deleted. I know that in the future i'll want to find it at some point (or at multiple points) and it would be a shame to lose it.

thanks Ralph.

Good idea Mike. I just did the same. Wish I had done in with some other threads that disappeared in the vapor.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Good idea Mike. I just did the same. Wish I had done in with some other threads that disappeared in the vapor.

Chances are good they are still available with some work. Threads are unlikely to get deleted and instead get dumped into a holding area. Ask a Mod and try to provide as much detail as possible and you may find that post you really wanted to hold on to.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
If you posted in the thread you can look back through your posting history to find a link.

Let me go back to the OP and the article posted.

I think this whole issue of one format being better than the other is rather silly and serves no real purpose other than to divide audiophiles into opposing sides. I prefer to think of it more as a preference and it's not just about the quality of sound either. Music listening for me is an experience that should satisfy at every level. I made my choice (vinyl) and I'm very happy about it. Selecting an LP, placing it on the platter, lowering the arm and then sitting down with the album jacket to look at and read whatever is there is something that brings me pleasure. Once finished, lovingly placing the LP in its anti-static sleeve and sliding it between the jacket and outer sleeve is equally satisfying. Yes, it feels good knowing one is taking care of their media.

Regarding digital media, I do not get that same level of total satisfaction and I can agree with Steve that my mind often wonders as I truly don't feel as involved. That's me and not a knock on digital media. I have some wonderful CD/SACDs I play fairly often, but I never go so far as having a digital playback listening session. I must admit here and now that digital is primarily reserved for casual playback.

+1, for me LP gives me enjoyment as you noted. I enjoy setting down after lowering the arm onto the platter and reading the information on the jacket, maybe its my age (60) but I feel more relaxed. And regarding LP taking more maintenance I haven't had to re-adjust my MicroSeiki and it's SME arm this year, and I'm not out there changing USB cables with the next best USB cable that comes out. Digital which I also enjoy, seems rather rushed at times, but I still enjoy the music.

I might not own $50k - $100k worth of audio equipment but it's not the equipment to me rather than the enjoyment and the experience of relaxing with good recorded music. With this hobby LP vs Digital vs tape vs CD I really don't care, it's all about the music experience I get regardless of the format.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
+1, for me LP gives me enjoyment as you noted. I enjoy setting down after lowering the arm onto the platter and reading the information on the jacket, maybe its my age (60) but I feel more relaxed. And regarding LP taking more maintenance I haven't had to re-adjust my MicroSeiki and it's SME arm this year, and I'm not out there changing USB cables with the next best USB cable that comes out. Digital which I also enjoy, seems rather rushed at times, but I still enjoy the music.

I might not own $50k - $100k worth of audio equipment but it's not the equipment to me rather than the enjoyment and the experience of relaxing with good recorded music. With this hobby LP vs Digital vs tape vs CD I really don't care, it's all about the music experience I get regardless of the format.

My entire system cost me less than $10,000. It's all used gear, but I think I made good choices. To me it sounds wonderful and I derive great pleasure from it. And yes, it's all about the music first. Always has been, always will be.

tailspn

Jun 28, 2011
What about Yarlung Records Kal? If you haven't, you should check out their recordings. Available on CD, LP, high Rez download and tape. I was listening to one of their tapes this PM (Dialoghi) featuring works by Lutoslawski, Bach, Stucky, and deFalla and it was so good that I fell out of my chair. And great, non-warhorse pieces. FYI they record in parallel, eg. High Rez and tape. I've never heard a better recording of a cello in my life and the piano ain't too shabby either.

Yarlung Records has recently transferred twenty of their original tapes to 256fs DSD. Nativedsd.com is previewing two tracks from the two albums Smoke & Mirrors: Vision, and Suryodaya. These tracks are offered free as Tracks 09 and 10 on the Just Listen label of demonstration tracks, in both the original 256fs dff DSD, and metadata tagged 128fs and 64fs .dsf DSD formats.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing