Alsyvox - Hi end Munich 2022 - your thoughts

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
By "front wall" do you mean the wall behind the speakers?

In general, they don't need to be but prefer it.

Mine are about 5.75' from the wall behind them.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
By "front wall" do you mean the wall behind the speakers?

In general, they don't need to be but prefer it.

Mine are about 5.75' from the wall behind them.
Yes, thank you. The Wilson XLFs are currently 2.5' - 3' from the wall behind the speaker. 5.75' is quite a lot, but I suspected (as with most panels) that they need a lot more space behind the speaker before it gets to the wall. The off-set is that the Wilsons are 2.25' deep, whereas the panels are are only a few inches (other than the base of the speaker)...so I wonder if they might in fact sit behind where the front of the XLFs are now.

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
When I had Apogees, I ran them just a bit over three feet from the wall, but in playing around with the Alsyvox panels they seemed to like a bit more space, and it was no problem to give them the extra amount.

Note this is not dissimilar to the amount of space I had to run my Vivid G1 Spirits from the rear wall, so it was no "loss" of space for me per se.

Given the depth of the XLFs, I suspect the same would likely be true for you.

Reactions: Bobvin

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you. Very helpful!

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
The official recommendation is 4ft but there are several successful implementations with 3ft, and one customer has only 2ft of clearance and is happy with the result.
Do you mean 4ft is the suggested minimum @Taiko Audio? I’ve recently moved mine about 10ft into the room from about 7ft and it really helped with depth and layering of soundstage…

Last edited:

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Do you mean 4ft is the suggested minimum @Taiko Audio? I’ve recently moved mine about 10ft into the room from about 7ft and it really helped with depth of soundstage…

Yes, it's the manufacturer suggested minimum. The optimum would depend on your room dimensions and seating position. I have my Raffaellos at 10ft aswell in a 26*46ft room with my seating position at about 27ft from the front wall.

Reactions: Levitator

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Fantastic commentary here...questions about placement:

- Understand from the reading here and elsewhere that the sides of the room are less relevant and in fact in slightly narrower rooms, the panel science might give panels an advantage
- As for front wall...do these need to be far away from the front wall? Room is 11' x 15' - 18' x 40' (across open plan/dual room space) but the speakers are expect to be at 26' with slight inward curve of a quasi corner before it opens into the adjacent room.
Hello, You have the room to bring the Alsvyox out into the room a bit. You get more "layering" on the soundstage the further out in the room the panels are placed. Although every listener is different and if someone prefers the speakers further back towards the wall behind the speakers 1M from the back wall works, BUT you don't get the layering on the soundstage at 1M vs 2M or even 3M from the rear wall.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hello, You have the room to bring the Alsvyox out into the room a bit. You get more "layering" on the soundstage the further out in the room the panels are placed. Although every listener is different and if someone prefers the speakers further back towards the wall behind the speakers 1M from the back wall works, BUT you don't get the layering on the soundstage at 1M vs 2M or even 3M from the rear wall.
Thank you all very much for your various answers. And Rhapsody, much appreciated. Will make sure to keep that in mind.

Reactions: Rhapsody

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes, those Alsyvox ribbons are quite amazing. It's one of those panels which require a fair amount of space, and when provided, the soundstage depth opens up beautifully! It's similar to a perfect camera lense, focus it just right with adequate dimensions and it delivers stunning results!
I'll get another chance coming this July to audition with two different kinds of amplifiers, one being the Dartzeel monoblocks and the other a full VAC Statement system. Although this is something to look forward to, I'm also very keen on hearing the new Genesis Tribute speakers that have been developed in honour of Arnie Nudell. I'm think and hoping now that would be a revelation! Anyway, that's another topic altogether.

The Alsyvox panels are designed in such a way, I guess at this level they demand true SOTA gear, no compromises. So I would think unless you're prepared to engage in this kind of spend, there's no point considering lower end gear to drive them. When these panels land down unda, they're well over the 6 figure price tags, and so are those Genesis Tributes. So overall, we're looking at half a million just for amps plus speakers, ha! I can clearly see the dog house from here.

Anyway, it's certainly nice to experience these systems just once in a while and fully engaged in their presentation. Something new I always learn whenever I get the chance. I must say, sometimes those pics of the Alsyvox don't do justice and can seem a but bizarre. However, only when you get up close to these, they're actually a true work of Art!

Cheers to Alsyvox!
Woof! RJ

Last edited:

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
The Alsyvox panels are designed in such a way, I guess at this level they demand true SOTA gear, no compromises. So I would think unless you're prepared to engage in this kind of spend, there's no point considering lower end gear to drive them. When these panels land down unda, they're well over the 6 figure price tags, and so are those Genesis Tributes. So overall, we're looking at half a million just for amps plus speakers, ha! I can clearly see the dog house from here.

You don't have to go anywhere near that over the top to hear what the Alsyvox bring to the table.

I drive mine with a pair of Ayre MX-R Twenties and they sound absolutely spectacular, and I suspect so would a Moon 860A v2 based upon how it did with my Vivid Giya G1 Spirits.

Certainly improvements in amplification would be heard, but any good amplification would work, from McIntosh to Mark Levinson to many others.

There's no need to spend six figures unless the difference you hear is worth it to you.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
You don't have to go anywhere near that over the top to hear what the Alsyvox bring to the table.

I drive mine with a pair of Ayre MX-R Twenties and they sound absolutely spectacular, and I suspect so would a Moon 860A v2 based upon how it did with my Vivid Giya G1 Spirits.

Certainly improvements in amplification would be heard, but any good amplification would work, from McIntosh to Mark Levinson to many others.

There's no need to spend six figures unless the difference you hear is worth it to you.
Yes agreed 110%, without a doubt!

The first time I heard these were at my trusted dealer mates place in Spore. He had the Botichelli at the time (not the X version). Auditioned with Aries Cerat integrated and then with CJ's ART300's, using his Momentum preamp (superb!) hence no tube preamp. That same amplification also drove the mighty Maggie's 30.7's and he also had Dan D's Relentless monoblocks at the time. Those really gripped the 30.7's to full potential, absolutely nothing lacking.

Now most of that gear has been passed on to other dealerships, I haven't heard his newest Alsyvox set-up as yet but I'm thinking it would be tops! He's now got the Botichelli-X version, driven with CJ's ART108A's (160w Class A tube monoblocks), partnered with CJ's ART88 top of the line preamp. He's moved off the Maggie's 30.7's, the ART300's and the Relentless amps, to make way for the VAC Statements and Dartzeel monoblocks. So these are his primary amplifiers now. I can only imagine what that must be like.

Then I heard the Alsyvox here after my Spore travels, which was their first in line up, the Tintorento. Driven by an amp (brand type withheld) that cost 60grand $AUD...it wasn't that great. It was more a hifi sound, with less defined bass and a concave sort of midrange. That setup alone was quite a pretty penny, so I couldn't justify the spend based on my own system (ML CLX's and exclusively CJ amplification), which is on a totally different dimension.

It was only when I auditioned the Alsyvox Botichelli system with higher performance amplifiers, such as Dartzeel and Aries Cerat that I realised exactly how awesome these full range ribbons really are. They're truly awe-inspiring and when you use Premier standard gear to drive them, they will deliver exactly that!

Quote similar to my CLX's, if driven with mediocre gear, you'll get mediocre sound, if driven with top-end gear, they just shift onto a whole new dimension, it's not even funny!

Not sure where exactly you're located... but for us humble folks down unda, anything that costs for ex 20grand in $USD will equate to nearly double that in $AUD. This is mainly due to import duties, customs tax and currency conversion. I've said this before many times. So when you're looking at Alsyvox's entry-level panel, which is the Tintorento, it actually costs around 125grand in Aus, that's an awful lot of spend. The Botichelli-X is around 250grand, perhaps with a nice dinner and a bottle of wine, you may get a discount of $100, nothing less!

So the prices you guys pay for in the US is just no comparison for us folks in Aus. Like I've said before, these are considered luxury items, and are mostly accessible by the big boys with big toys! The ML Neoliths are around 80grand in the US. In Aus, these are 160grand, and only ONE pair was ever sold and that was the demo pair!

Both the Aries Cerat Integrated and Dartzeel stereo amp, plus the Vitus Audio SS-103 (which I really really like) cost within the same price range, around 60 to 68grand. So if I would ever consider getting the Alsyvox, I would partner them with any of these, and nothing less. I still believe they deserve SOTA gear.

CJ's ART108A's and their top of the line preamp, the ART88, goes for exactly 110grand for both systems That's only just for a damn preamp and a pair of monoblocks! I nearly closed this deal with my bank manager until the good wife slapped some sense into me! She made me realise that I've already got a full CJ all tube design preamps and monoblocks driving the CLX's, which were my dream speakers. I've modded my monoblocks to 60w Class A and they grip and control the CLX's gloriously! So what more do I need...? Both my bank manager and the wifey asked... then I realised heck! They're absolutely right, and that's all she wrote!

The only newest panel type highend system that was just introduced and is slightly less (just slightly...) than Alsyvox but not yet introduced to Aus, are the Clarisys Audio panels. These have been priced in Euros, and their smallest system is the Minuet, goes for around 35grand Euros. That conveted to $AUD is about 60grand (without neodymium magnets) add the Neodymium's plus 25% and that base price goes upto 75grand... so yeah, like I said big toys for the big boys.

At this stage I have absolutely no intention of changing what I have built around the CLX based system, it took me 15yrs from scratch, since migrating to Aus in 2004. Every CJ tube amp has been specially modded to suit a certain purpose, so it's a very unique system that I can never recover the money spent on all those Class A bias operation mods.

If I were to engage in the Alsyvox or Clarisys line of ribbon panels then this would have to be a complete overhaul, based on an entirely different approach, from the ground up. Everything would change. So it's definitely something I need to consider in the long term with serious thought. Which reminds me, in the long term, I'm planning on downsizing, thinking of just settling in for one of Graz's Apogee refurbs with a nice Pass Labs amp, that's my retirement ticket!

Until then, enjoy those Alsyvox ribbons, they're superb panels. Truly remarkable and absolutely beautiful build quality.
Woof! RJ

Reactions: morricab

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
RJ, at those prices, you could pay for an elaborate smuggling operation, get a container off a big ship, to a smaller ship, who could unbox the container and lower your new Botticelli X (and amps) onto an even smaller boat who’d sneak in the harbor under the cover of darkness. Think of the fun and excitement! ;)

(My wife suggested I also post, for the benefit of RJ, the customs and border patrol, and all gov’t agencies on the lookout for suggestions of illegal behavior — the above is a JOKE, not meant to actually encourage said bad behaviors.)

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Are not the Alsyvox main panels planars? That is, attached on all sides. A (true) ribbon is allowed free movement on half the sides.
Yeah I know, when I say "Alsyvox ribbons " I actually mean Alsyvox panel speakers with full magnetic planar ribbon tech. I'm not sure why on earth I referred to them as Alsyvox ribbons... guess I just get too excited whenever I hear or see them!
Woofty woof'n!
RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
RJ, at those prices, you could pay for an elaborate smuggling operation, get a container off a big ship, to a smaller ship, who could unbox the container and lower your new Botticelli X (and amps) onto an even smaller boat who’d sneak in the harbor under the cover of darkness. Think of the fun and excitement! ;)

(My wife suggested I also post, for the benefit of RJ, the customs and border patrol, and all gov’t agencies on the lookout for suggestions of illegal behavior — the above is a JOKE, not meant to actually encourage said bad behaviors.)
Yes very true yaaar!
In fact, believe it or not, I've been offered some really nice trade-in deals with my CLX's for the Alsyvox panels. Then I was also offered an irresistible trade-in deal on my modded CJ amps to CJ's ART108A's!!! Obviously all this extra "special treatment" was coming in from Spore BUT!!! Here's the catch:

1. It's highly unethical to do parallel imports but some do this under "personal effects." I know two chaps down unda who do this, and they usually end up sideways. Go figure...and yet those silly buggers still do it!

2. It's more or less a suicide mission, such that if and when you get caught, there are huge customs fines, penalties and all sorts of nasties... might as well just listen to a boombox from inside the dog house.

3. I'll always support my local importer / dealer for the brands they carry and represent in Aus. After all, they need to run a business and survive. The way things are going in this economy, people can't even afford their mortgage repayments... let alone highend audio, I'm not sure if the true highend even exists in Aus. Things are getting really really expensive, and I'm not talking about hifi here, rather it's basics- milk, bread and butter (Lurpak) mighty fine but quite pricey now.

Heck, if the wifey knew the real dollar value I spent on all those Class A bias mods I've done on my tube gear, plus the spend on the CLX's, the Nordost cables plus the full wiring, I'll be enjoying those fine tunes from the dog house, thanks-woof!
That's why I always discuss in terms of USD and not AUD...USD is half the price! The only time she actually found out the cost of that CJ top of the line was when she arrived at the bank as a guaranter... uh oh! It hit the fan then! Gotta love the wifey, bless her soul!

Cheers to Alsyvox and our better halves!
RJ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing