CH Precision P10 phonostage

TLi

May 27, 2016
Series 10 of CH Precision was announced in Munich Show in 2019. First there were L10 preamp and M10 power amp. The original M10 was a huge box, later it was split into two boxes for easier handling. I listened to L10 and M10 on several occasions and was very impressed by their performance. There was a waiting list for them.

P10 was finally demonstrated in Munich Show in 2023, I was there to audition the difference between P1 and P10, also P10 and P10 mono was demonstrated. The difference between P1 and P10 was huge and there was incremental gain from P10 to P10 mono. I placed an order for P10 on the spot.

The first batch of P10 was delivered to Hong Kong at the end of September. My P10 was delivered yesterday and the local agent helped to setup the phono. P10 is a complicated device with multiple modes and different curves. It is much better for the agent to setup for you.

The first cartridge mounted was Lyra Altas Lambda SL and tonearm was Graham Elite 12in, The resolution was very high, the sound was smooth and dynamic. Bass was strong and layered. Although I listened to P10 before but was still very stocked by its performance. The cartridge was later changed to Koetsu Tigereye Diamond and Etsuro Gold, P10 clearly presented the sonic characters of these cartridges. There is no audible character with this phono, it just amplifies what is coming from cartridge.

P10 is clearly the best phonostage I have heard by some margin. I know a buyer in Hong Kong has ordered two P10 for mono run. They will be installed in these few days. It will be interesting to know how they sounds.

i am glad to be able to hear and see the breakthrough in vinyl playback. P10 really takes it to another level.

Attachments

• IMG_3423.jpeg
    IMG_3423.jpeg
    940.2 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_3427.jpeg
    IMG_3427.jpeg
    849.8 KB · Views: 177

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Series 10 of CH Precision was announced in Munich Show in 2019. First there were L10 preamp and M10 power amp. The original M10 was a huge box, later it was split into two boxes for easier handling. I listened to L10 and M10 on several occasions and was very impressed by their performance. There was a waiting list for them.

P10 was finally demonstrated in Munich Show in 2023, I was there to audition the difference between P1 and P10, also P10 and P10 mono was demonstrated. The difference between P1 and P10 was huge and there was incremental gain from P10 to P10 mono. I placed an order for P10 on the spot.

The first batch of P10 was delivered to Hong Kong at the end of September. My P10 was delivered yesterday and the local agent helped to setup the phono. P10 is a complicated device with multiple modes and different curves. It is much better for the agent to setup for you.

The first cartridge mounted was Lyra Altas Lambda SL and tonearm was Graham Elite 12in, The resolution was very high, the sound was smooth and dynamic. Bass was strong and layered. Although I listened to P10 before but was still very stocked by its performance. The cartridge was later changed to Koetsu Tigereye Diamond and Etsuro Gold, P10 clearly presented the sonic characters of these cartridges. There is no audible character with this phono, it just amplifies what is coming from cartridge.

P10 is clearly the best phonostage I have heard by some margin. I know a buyer in Hong Kong has ordered two P10 for mono run. They will be installed in these few days. It will be interesting to know how they sounds.

i am glad to be able to hear and see the breakthrough in vinyl playback. P10 really takes it to another level.
Hi TLi,

Congratulations to your new toy ;) !

Looks as you have a lot of fun with your fine turntable, and your new CH P10. What would you say differ the most between the Graham, and the SAT arm? Btw: is that the DS Audio Extreme cartridge on the SAT arm?

Kindest Regards

/ Johan

TLi

May 27, 2016
Hi TLi,

Congratulations to your new toy ;) !

Looks as you have a lot of fun with your fine turntable, and your new CH P10. What would you say differ the most between the Graham, and the SAT arm? Btw: is that the DS Audio Extreme cartridge on the SAT arm?

Kindest Regards

/ Johan
Good eyes. Yes, the other tonearm is SAT CF-1 9 inch and cartridge is DS Audio Grand Master with corresponding phono. Before P10, I thought DS Audio is the best that can be achieved with vinyl playback. I have Grand Master Extreme but unfortunately it was back to factory for retipping.

SAT CF-1 9inch is probably the best tonearm available, I have tried a lot. The resolution of SAT is certainly higher than Graham. It is stocking to say P10 with Graham Elite and MC cartridges sounds better than DS Audio and SAT combo.

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Good eyes. Yes, the other tonearm is SAT CF-1 9 inch and cartridge is DS Audio Grand Master with corresponding phono. Before P10, I thought DS Audio is the best that can be achieved with vinyl playback. I have Grand Master Extreme but unfortunately it was back to factory for retipping.

SAT CF-1 9inch is probably the best tonearm available, I have tried a lot. The resolution of SAT is certainly higher than Graham. It is stocking to say P10 with Graham Elite and MC cartridges sounds better than DS Audio and SAT combo.
Wow - that was kind of unexpecting, don’t you say?! What happen to the stylus on the GME? Did you broke it - an accident or what?

I was consider the SAT CF-1 for my Ascona Neo turntable, but decided to go with their own A-S TA-9000 12” arm, which has been most satisfying to me. Very interesting to hear how much the CH P10 does for your system. What do you think of moving the Atlas over to the SAT arm? Do you think you might get even better sound there, compared to the sound with the Graham arm?

I find your experiments and investigations very interesting, very cool indeed.

/ Jk

Reactions: ctydwn

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Wow - that was kind of unexpecting, don’t you say?! What happen to the stylus on the GME? Did you broke it - an accident or what?

I was consider the SAT CF-1 for my Ascona Neo turntable, but decided to go with their own A-S TA-9000 12” arm, which has been most satisfying to me. Very interesting to hear how much the CH P10 does for your system. What do you think of moving the Atlas over to the SAT arm? Do you think you might get even better sound there, compared to the sound with the Graham arm?

/ Jk

Hey Johan

I will take the Dag phono off your hands when you upgrade to the CH P10 :p I think we are both 230/240 vlts.

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K

TLi

May 27, 2016

/ Jk
I accidentally dropped my Grand Master Extreme onto the record surface. The cantilever broke in the middle.

SAT should be better. I have the Ti version, ie CF-1 Ti 9 inch. It is even better than the original non Ti version. I A/B tested the two.

P10 was just delivered yesterday and is probably not fully burn in. There are many configurations I shall try before a final setup, if any, is reached, early days only.

• Love
Reactions: Johan K

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Hey Johan

I will take the Dag phono off your hands when you upgrade to the CH P10 :p I think we are both 230/240 vlts.
Haha..!!! Shane - I run my Dag phono on 5000V which will not work in Australia, haha…
It is specially made to stay here in the Voltage shielded phono vault, haha… but you are most welcome to listen to it while I connect the CH P10… haha…

Okay then - maybe we can struck a deal, but don’t tell anyone… haha? :D !
IMG_8911.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: XV-1

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
I accidentally dropped my Grand Master Extreme onto the record surface. The cantilever broke in the middle.

SAT should be better. I have the Ti version, ie CF-1 Ti 9 inch. It is even better than the original non Ti version. I A/B tested the two.

P10 was just delivered yesterday and is probably not fully burn in. There are many configurations I shall try before a final setup, if any, is reached, early days only.
Ohhh my god :eek: !! Very sorry to hear man.. Say 10 ”Ave Maria” and I’m sure it feels a bit better, haha…Damn.. that is just HARD..!!

Great to hear you have the upgraded Ti version. Yea I think in three four month, you will be able to tell us all about your impressions on the CH P10 / SAT / Atlas combo. It will be very interesting to follow your progress.

Hope your DS GME return in good shape soon.

/ Jk

Last edited:
Reactions: TLi

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I was consider the SAT CF-1 for my Ascona Neo turntable, but decided to go with their own A-S TA-9000 12” arm, which has been most satisfying to me.
SAT CF1-09 is a great arm but AS axiom is much better IMHO. I’m very familiar with both of them. Another great option is Kuzma Safir. I heard it but I haven’t put my hands on it yet to tell if it’s better or not. Surely it’s a great contender. On the other hand Graham is pretty mediocre and I’m very familiar with that too.

Last edited:

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
SAT CF1-09 is a great arm but AS axiom is a much better IMHO. I’m very familiar with both of them. Another great option is Kuzma Safir. I heard it but I haven’t put my hands on it yet to tell if it’s better or not. Surely it’s a great contender. On the other hand Graham is pretty mediocre and I’m very familiar with that too.
Thank you - great info :).

Reactions: mtemur

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France

Nice report! Did you consider the Nagra HD pre phono before ordering the P 10?

TLi

May 27, 2016
Nice report! Did you consider the Nagra HD pre phono before ordering the P 10?
I don’t think Nagra HD phono is available yet, have heard Nagra HD pre and power amps many times and is not very impressed. They always sound sterile to me.

What makes CH Precision phono special is the current mode. It senses only the current generated by cartridge and amplifies the signal. Most phonostages use voltage mode of amplification. The difference is obvious.

Nathanu

VIP/Donor
Dec 14, 2020
Enjoy the P10. My CHP P10 was delivered and installed by my dealer on September 25, replacing the P1/X1. Since then, I have enjoyed many very happy hours of listening to vinyl, including the Supersense Mastercut Edition Getz/Gilberto; UK First Pressing of Joni Mitchell Court and Spark; Analogue Production Starker/Bach 45 RPM; Analogue Production Hugh Masekela/Hope 45 RPM; Acoustic Sounds Nina Simone Pastel Blues. And more. All sounded great.

Reactions: TLi

TLi

May 27, 2016
@TLi did you get the EQ card?
No, I was asked about adding extra curve cards. I don't have any old record using different curves, so I just get it without. They can be added in the future if needed.

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
Enjoy the P10. My CHP P10 was delivered and installed by my dealer on September 25, replacing the P1/X1. Since then, I have enjoyed many very happy hours of listening to vinyl, including the Supersense Mastercut Edition Getz/Gilberto; UK First Pressing of Joni Mitchell Court and Spark; Analogue Production Starker/Bach 45 RPM; Analogue Production Hugh Masekela/Hope 45 RPM; Acoustic Sounds Nina Simone Pastel Blues. And more. All sounded great.
How would you characterize the improvement when compared to the P1/X1 ?

Nathanu

VIP/Donor
Dec 14, 2020
Generally, to my ears, I am hearing or at least perceiving better instrument separation; a more pleasing or natural tone; less glare or sibilance; and a closer to “live” sound. I don’t mean to imply that the P1/X1 combination is lacking in any of these areas; rather, the P10 is just better in my opinion. However, I am self aware enough to realize that I will suffer from some level of confirmation bias. While I enjoyed the P1/X1, I am enjoying the P10 more.

Peterhongkong

Oct 14, 2023
Hong Kong
Hello everyone, I am Peter and just new to WBF and reading your thoughts about CH P10 and S.A.T./ Koetsu with great interest.
Yesterday my P10 was also delivered and installed by the CH HK Agent Ricky.
AI have to say that it blows me away - although both came just fresh our of the box the sound started to open up already after 3 hours of running - more micro details, instruments, more clear and 3 dimensional with deeper sound-stage especially with classic etc. I need to work on the settings a bit like gain and filters (on /off) etc. Despite the steep price (I did hesitate a bit to be honest) I believe now that this phono preamp is absolutely superb. A must for vinyl lovers and my former CH P1 Mono with X1 was "no slouch" : o)

Attachments

• IMG_8901.jpg
    IMG_8901.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 97

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Hello everyone, I am Peter and just new to WBF and reading your thoughts about CH P10 and S.A.T./ Koetsu with great interest.
Yesterday my P10 was also delivered and installed by the CH HK Agent Ricky.
AI have to say that it blows me away - although both came just fresh our of the box the sound started to open up already after 3 hours of running - more micro details, instruments, more clear and 3 dimensional with deeper sound-stage especially with classic etc. I need to work on the settings a bit like gain and filters (on /off) etc. Despite the steep price (I did hesitate a bit to be honest) I believe now that this phono preamp is absolutely superb. A must for vinyl lovers and my former CH P1 Mono with X1 was "no slouch" : o)
Fantastic looking Tech Das TT set-up and CH Precision digital source and front end electronics you have their Peter.
Can imagine it sounds amazing !
What Power Amps and Speakers are you using ?

Peterhongkong

Oct 14, 2023
Hong Kong
Fantastic looking Tech Das TT set-up and CH Precision digital source and front end electronics you have their Peter.
Can imagine it sounds amazing !
What Power Amps and Speakers are you using ?
Oh many thanks. Yes it sounds really great...
I am using CH M1.1 Mono power amps for my Wilson Audio AlexxV speakers.

Attachments

• IMG_8904.jpg
    IMG_8904.jpg
    746.5 KB · Views: 68

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing