Advice for an unsatisfied Vitus RI-101 mk II new owner

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
If the speakers are a match you should be getting a wide soundstage. Ours is the best it has ever been. But cables did change the soundstage. We’re still deciding between Clarus Crimson and Shunyata Omega/Sigma.

Oz Turan mixed Vitus with a Thrax Libra when customers desired something warmer. That‘s a good combo. The 300B tubes do well with a Vitus. He travels internationally. You may desire to drop him an email.

Richard from Lotus HiFi has recommended me Tara Labs Forté speakers and IC and Shunyata Delta PC. Obviously higher levels should deliver more.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Which cables in particular? Speakers?
We are using Magicos. They are a great match. A set of A5s would sound amazing IMO. I’ve heard Stenheim, Marten, Raidho and even Sonus Fabre sound very good as well.

As far as cables the best I’ve heard so far are Clarus Crimson, Shunyata Sigma, and Albedo.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I have a vitus dealer in the UK - I live in France - who recommended me to get Shunyata PC - at least Delta - and Tara Labs - at least Forté - IC and SC. If not happy he suggested me to trade the Vitus in for an integrated Thrax, he thinks the SIA025 may suit my taste less. I have also read the Purist Audio Aqueous are a good match for Vitus, what do you think compared to Shunyata Delta? I am not comfortable yet spending $3500 for a PC.
Where in France?

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
@Audire I meant speakers cable sorry. Speakers i think I’ll stick to Avalon idea for now. I’m curious about the Marten Parker duo but no idea how they sound and especially with Vitus.

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
I

I have marten Oscar duo ( as well as Coltrane momento 2) and would never suggest they don’t sound good at low volume. In fact I would say they are excellent at low volume. The older generations of marten speakers did sound leaner and did not sound as good at low volumes.
Can I ask you with what are you driving the Oscar Duo?

Reactions: JGlacken

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
Just to update you that I have changed speakers from Avalon Idea to TAD ME1 and the pairing with the Vitus RI-101 mkII is simply magnificent. I may need to tame a bit the system. I think easily with the right cables. I am considering Tara Labs Forte SC ( I already have Forte IC), I will keep Shunyata Delta NR v2 as PC.

Reactions: Stef and dan31

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Just to update you that I have changed speakers from Avalon Idea to TAD ME1 and the pairing with the Vitus RI-101 mkII is simply magnificent. I may need to tame a bit the system. I think easily with the right cables. I am considering Tara Labs Forte SC ( I already have Forte IC), I will keep Shunyata Delta NR v2 as PC.
Tame in which sense?

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
Tame in which sense?
Sometimes depending on the tune the overall sound is quite aggressive. Not boomy, nor with treble too high peaks. I feel the need to smoothen up the overall sound presentation.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Sometimes depending on the tune the overall sound is quite aggressive. Not boomy, nor with treble too high peaks. I feel the need to smoothen up the overall sound presentation.
Shouldn't need cables to put a bandaid on this issue.

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
What is your suggestion then?
You need to try to determine what is the root cause of the issue, is it the speaker, the amp, the source, the cables, the room, the power?

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
The few times I heard the Vitus gear, I kept shaking my head with disappointment……
you can’t go wrong with any of the BAT preamps. Had the original Rex years ago, and still regretting selling it.

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
The few times I heard the Vitus gear, I kept shaking my head with disappointment……
you can’t go wrong with any of the BAT preamps. Had the original Rex years ago, and still regretting selling it.
I hear the BAT is excellent. And I often hear the Atma-Sphere best it even with its entry level MP3. Atma is not distributed here in Europe and wonder if that statement is actually true.

Stef

Jan 10, 2021
Paris / France

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing