Advice for an unsatisfied Vitus RI-101 mk II new owner

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
I am not intending to be insulting in any way. I don't mean as such. But you really seem to be swirling. Amps, preamps, speakers, cables.

Maybe you want to take a step back from buying gear and fly around the country to some dealers and hear stuff. Or ask some members about a visit and listen to their systems. It feels like your not sure what suits your taste. You think you know, but you have not determined what equipment recreates that yet.
It looks you haven’t well understood then. Let me try to be clearer:
I have a sound I like and unfortunately I can’t afford it at least considering the gear I have heard and like. I listen to systems at stores and friends’ places.
moving from a basic McIntosh to Vitus something was wrong, very wrong in my chain.
Luckily - with days of careful listening, consulting with people who understand more than me and having a good session with a pro technician- I have found out the issue is not the in the Vitus but in speakers and cables matching.
I have found and tried fantastic cables matching the Vitus and it’s a start.
Now I have identified speakers that on paper match my taste, my finance and my WAF. Envious of who doesn’t need to deal with the latter.

Reactions: Audire

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
hearing only amps keeping the pre constant is only an academic exercise. Changing the pre to Soulution, if you redo the exercise you will reach a different conclusion on the power amps . And the overall sound could be better because it will give you the drive and separation and low noise floor and high dynamic range, with the emotion and decay from valves better than with a valve pre and SS amp. You could obviously check both approaches.

also check with Shakti who has a monster Avalon system where he has tried many electronics and ended up with auto Soulution pre
I’m intrigued by the Soulution. A bit too expensive for me even the 325.

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
I

I have marten Oscar duo ( as well as Coltrane momento 2) and would never suggest they don’t sound good at low volume. In fact I would say they are excellent at low volume. The older generations of marten speakers did sound leaner and did not sound as good at low volumes.
Glad to hear so! Which amplifiers you use with the Oscar? Would you mind describing the main characteristics of their sound? Many thanks

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
Joseph Audio speakers are very, very good and have always sounded musical. I have previously owned the Pulsars and the Perspective. Even at shows he manages to get great sound. I have not heard the Graphene models but I suspect that they are even better.

Then add a Pass integrated and be done :). Good luck.
JP
Thanks! Saturday I have an appointment to listen to the pulsar 2 graphene with Vitus RI101mkii and same cabling. Will then compare to Marten for which I have to go out of town but it will be the excuse to visit Bordeaux and taste some juicy grapes .

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I’m intrigued by the Soulution. A bit too expensive for me even the 325.

the 710 is very good and used price is 10ish k GBP

Reactions: Ricco275

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Thanks! Saturday I have an appointment to listen to the pulsar 2 graphene with Vitus RI101mkii and same cabling. Will then compare to Marten for which I have to go out of town but it will be the excuse to visit Bordeaux and taste some juicy grapes .

Let us know how you like the Martens with Vitus. I use Magico M3s at present (great match) but have been eying the Martens for some time.

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
Let us know how you like the Martens with Vitus. I use Magico M3s at present (great match) but have been eying the Martens for some time.
Hard for you to find better than the M3 perhaps . Marten will be auditioning with different amplifier unfortunately. On another forum I have found someone who owns marten/Vitus but living in a different country and tastes are so personal I can’t rely on one voice .

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
A new client of mine was searching for improved sound. The local dealer was happy to oblige. They quickly took back his well suited $60k speakers for pennies and gave him an oversized set of $100k speakers. The client much prefered the speakers he had traded in. His only option was to eat another $60k or so to get his old ones back. So now he has $100k speakers that don't fit his room as well.

I am only saying that a forum memebr saying they need help getting an amp right are a bleading fish in the ocean. The sharks will come fast. Be cautious and take your time. You can shoot right past a great place and find your wallet empty in no time.

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
I am only saying that a forum memebr saying they need help getting an amp right are a bleading fish in the ocean. The sharks will come fast. Be cautious and take your time. You can shoot right past a great place and find your wallet empty in no time.
Fortunaly, Ricco lives in Paris and they are almost no french dealers here. The only one is already in contact with Ricco before Ricco's demand

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
A new client of mine was searching for improved sound. The local dealer was happy to oblige. They quickly took back his well suited $60k speakers for pennies and gave him an oversized set of $100k speakers. The client much prefered the speakers he had traded in. His only option was to eat another $60k or so to get his old ones back. So now he has $100k speakers that don't fit his room as well.

Absolutely. Thanks for the heads up and I’m often considered difficult by dealers, I think mostly because I I don’t get hypnotised by them. I value my ears and my wallet and I like to hear unbiased opinions from actual users, that’s why I have actively joined this community. Not that difficult to spot the biased opinions on forums after years of reading, not just about audiophile.

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
It’s now a full day I have been listening to the Vitus with a power cable I have borrowed from my dealer. It’s called Hemingway Indigo. The improvement vs Nordost Heimdall2 is to my ears phenomenal. The bass is much tighter and the dynamic contrast is way better than Nordost which with my components gave less clarity to the overall presentation. It’s also cheaper than the nordost heimdall2. Hemingway Indigo PC is now on my list and I would recommend anyone to discover this brand unknown to me until now. In comparison I have much more appreciated my Tara Labs RCS Forté xlr vs the Hemingway Indigo 2. They are both excellent but the Forté helps to widen up the soundstage.

eskamobob1

Jan 7, 2022
Just a completely out of left field req, maybe try riviera levante. Their house sound seems to fit what you want sonicly and you should be in about that range after talking to a dealer iirc. It is an integrated and not sure what kind of power your speakers need though

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
In case you are considering other speakers, it may be worthwhile to listen to the new Stenheim Alumine 2.5 or used 3s and Anna Mighty Sound in Paris are their agents so hopefully can help. Best of luck with your search.

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
In case you are considering other speakers, it may be worthwhile to listen to the new Stenheim Alumine 2.5 or used 3s and Anna Mighty Sound in Paris are their agents so hopefully can help. Best of luck with your search.
Thanks I know François.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Since you are located in the EU, Gryphon has always had some muscle for driving difficult loads. Soulution is going to be a good bet as noted earlier. I would try to stay with EU manufacturers if possible.

Your dealer should be able to let you demo the higher end integrated. He should be vested in your satisfaction. Cables are the last place to invest but Nordost and the like are generally more tipped up and treble focused

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I missed it the first time. But you said “new owner.“ How long have you owned your 101s?

The reason I ask, is that they take a long time to break in … I disliked the 101s in my initial demo. They took a good while to sound good - longest break in of any amp I’ve tried. I left it on 24/7 …. When broken in the sound was amazing.

Our demo:

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
Since you are located in the EU, Gryphon has always had some muscle for driving difficult loads. Soulution is going to be a good bet as noted earlier. I would try to stay with EU manufacturers if possible.

Your dealer should be able to let you demo the higher end integrated. He should be vested in your satisfaction. Cables are the last place to invest but Nordost and the like are generally more tipped up and treble focused
Gryphons are beautiful beasts. I was looking at tube preamps to balance the kind of cool sound I personally perceive from the Vitus. The Zena - if matching my tastes - would be at my budget very limit if purchased Devon hand. The Soulution amps while great seem to be from what I heard too clean and pure for me. You recommend European brands for after sales service and maybe better prices?

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
I missed it the first time. But you said “new owner.“ How long have you owned your 101s?

The reason I ask, is that they take a long time to break in … I disliked the 101s in my initial demo. They took a good while to sound good - longest break in of any amp I’ve tried. I left it on 24/7 …. When broken in the sound was amazing.

Our demo:

I have bought it second hand. Now it is much better after changing cables and speakers position. I’m waiting for 2 platforms and rollerblock from Symposium to improve speakers performance. It’s possible that my previous little mcintosh integrated amp was less revealing and therefore I heard less what I don’t like now which shouldn’t come from the Vitus. In any case I’d like a tad warmer and more musical sound, possibly with a wider stage.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I have bought it second hand. Now it is much better after changing cables and speakers position. I’m waiting for 2 platforms and rollerblock from Symposium to improve speakers performance. It’s possible that my previous little mcintosh integrated amp was less revealing and therefore I heard less what I don’t like now which shouldn’t come from the Vitus. In any case I’d like a tad warmer and more musical sound, possibly with a wider stage.

If the speakers are a match you should be getting a wide soundstage. Ours is the best it has ever been. But cables did change the soundstage. We’re still deciding between Clarus Crimson and Shunyata Omega/Sigma.

Oz Turan mixed Vitus with a Thrax Libra when customers desired something warmer. That‘s a good combo. The 300B tubes do well with a Vitus. He travels internationally. You may desire to drop him an email.

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
If the speakers are a match you should be getting a wide soundstage. Ours is the best it has ever been. But cables did change the soundstage. We’re still deciding between Clarus Crimson and Shunyata Omega/Sigma.

Oz Turan mixed Vitus with a Thrax Libra when customers desired something warmer. That‘s a good combo. The 300B tubes do well with a Vitus. He travels internationally. You may desire to drop him an email.

Which cables in particular? Speakers?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing