added a 3rd Studer A-820 Mk2 with both 1/4" and 1/2" heads, guides and hubs

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
a little question, why is nobody using an Ampex 351 or a Telefunken M5. this is how the best recordings of classical music have been made. excellent tube head amps are also on board
Ampex 351

Telefunken M 5c
Telefunken sounds much better imo .
That would be a candidate for me , portable machine / Old school
Same goes for the portable ampex in Das gute ohrs post

Reactions: DasguteOhr

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Tape from 1975 Claude helffer stock B62 piano recording The hague / diligentia played back on the same recorder 46 years later ;)
Best part starts from 3:00 min into the vid.
A bit of added noise unfortunately ,but the dynamics shine through certainly in real life

Last edited:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Ampex in beautiful condition?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Tape from 1976 Claude helffer stock B62 piano recording Amsterdam concertgebouw played back on the same recorder 45 years later ;)
Best part starts from 3:00 min into the vid.
A bit of added noise unfortunately ,but the dynamics shine through certainly in real life

I don’t know if it is the YouTube capture but something is well off in the tonal rendition of that piano. There is a metallic ring in its upper register almost tinny. Not enough weight in the lower register and it seems to lack the harmonic content of a concert grand. Assume is was a Steinway or Bechstein in the Concertgebouw when it was recorded?

Reactions: Argonaut

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Ampex in beautiful condition?

If I came across such a machine for... ahem... a reasonable price, I would not hesitate one moment.

Chances of that are below slim, however.

I have five different Ampex machines in my stable: 350, AG-445, two AX-300's, and one ATR-102. Love them all.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I don’t know if it is the YouTube capture but something is well off in the tonal rendition of that piano. There is a metallic ring in its upper register almost tinny. Not enough weight in the lower register and it seems to lack the harmonic content of a concert grand. Assume is was a Steinway or Bechstein in the Concertgebouw when it was recorded?
I have no idea what the piano was , its surely possible that the phone mic got overloaded.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
This is the original flyer of the concert , may be you can see from the pic what piano was used , it doesnt mention it.
Actually it was in the hague , not in the concertgebouw all the other old ones i have were from amsterdam

1638480263263.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
If I came across such a machine for... ahem... a reasonable price, I would not hesitate one moment.

Chances of that are below slim, however.

I have five different Ampex machines in my stable: 350, AG-445, two AX-300's, and one ATR-102. Love them all.
That's the problem the cheapest thing I've seen, in good original condition, was for 7000 €. I would buy right away if I had the money.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I am yet to meet one DIYer, whose contraption did not slaughter (in his mind, of course...) all the giants. :)

There's something to be said for personal involvement. :)

I myself still carry that virus in my blood. :)
you´re welcome to Norway to judge for yourself my DIY contraption anytime...

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I have no idea what the piano was , its surely possible that the phone mic got overloaded.
I think it must have clipped the phone mic at a guess.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Here is my analogy:

Studer A80/A820 - Diana Krall
Ampex ATR-102 - Ella Fitzgerald

Larry
which one is Nina Simone? I am getting that one :)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Reactions: Solypsa

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
But still to me it sounds very good dynamically over my computer speakers .
At least far better then a CD( digital) piano recording with the stock studer cards
With the eternal arts tube tape stage added it sounds a bit smoother .
May be you just dont like the sound of my system /speakers
My speakers measure flat , if the weight of the piano is there they will reproduce it
if not its not on the recording then not off course
Are you re horns flat in Fr?
Iow do you know what your horns reproduce for reference ?
I ll make a different recording with the tube stage added , see if i can hear a difference via computer speakers ( and with my new CAT pre :cool: )

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
But still to me it sounds very good dynamically over my computer speakers .
At least far better then a CD( digital) piano recording with the stock studer cards
With the eternal arts tube tape stage added it sounds a bit smoother .
May be you just dont like the sound of my system /speakers
My speakers measure flat , if the weight of the piano is there they will reproduce it
if not its not on the recording then not off course
Are you re horns flat in Fr?
Iow do you know what your horns reproduce for reference ?
I ll make a different recording with the tube stage added , see if i can hear a difference via computer speakers ( and with my new CAT pre :cool: )
Morning,
Please don’t take as any criticism - I am sure it is merely the iPhone.
In terms of FR. No I am not a fan a flat FR at all. I prefer by far a slightly more extreme B&K curve. I get to 24hz in my system / room without loss. My room has a bit of gain at 30hz.
My “reference” is my dad’s Mason&Hamlin live. Was there a couple of weeks ago.

Best.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing