added a 3rd Studer A-820 Mk2 with both 1/4" and 1/2" heads, guides and hubs

Was only 15-18 years ago studios were dumping ATR 102s as dead weight. Another gear I should have bought ;)

Hard to tell, check the Reverb.com for somewhat similar stuff, people are asking for an arm and a leg today for their beaters, so my "within reason" would probably be unrealistic, but I would gladly pay $6-7K for it.

I am ready to hear some laughs... :)
that or a super clean Nagra IV-S are worth it for the vibe for your room. owned one of those too. more a collector piece than anything you can do much with. you will bust some tapes learning how to use the transport. not forgiving. the preamps can be useful.

Nagras are cute, I have some, but I like the earlier III, to me that is THE real Nagra. I fell in love with its large round dials 50+ years ago, when I saw a news crew use it. I sometimes use it to play 7" tapes in my office.

The ATR-102 is very close to a dream machine, and as far as the recording quality, it is the best deck in my collection. You can still find them for close to $10K, which is, in my view, a super-value.

Reactions: srs148
FWIW, my combination of Technics RS-1500, Flux Magnetics head and Doshi EVO tape preamp sounds much better than either my Studer 810 or 812, both of which have been completely recapped and with heads in excellent condition. I realize the tape handling is better on the A80 and 820, but I don’t think either produce the same level of playback quality that the Doshi preamp plus FM head does.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill
FWIW, my combination of Technics RS-1500, Flux Magnetics head and Doshi EVO tape preamp sounds much better than either my Studer 810 or 812, both of which have been completely recapped and with heads in excellent condition. I realize the tape handling is better on the A80 and 820, but I don’t think either produce the same level of playback quality that the Doshi preamp plus FM head does.

That is a typical situation. The A8xx machines are easy to beat in sound quality... but they score big times in smoothness and elegance.

Imagine, if Porsche stopped making cars in 1980
Look i went for a change to a audioshow last month .
Only the boxes looked different and the cables got thicker but the sound was the same then 15 years ago or even worse.

Audio hasnt improved .
Same tech transistors tubes and voicecoils /magnets .

I ll go again in another 15 years .
Im sure even then nothing beats an old studer

Imagine, if Porsche stopped making cars in 1980...

disaster, a 959, a Carrera GT, 997 turbo, GT2rs or 918 never build. the best track cars are lost.

Did you try upgrading your 810/812 internal boards yet? I just did MTSL courtesy of support from Leif and was quite dramatic.

Yeah... but real cars have V8's in them. :)

I recently sold my E39 with V8 and 6sp. It still ran like a champ, though...
nice car, i had from 2012 to 2014 a M5 V10. every time i got into the car and turned the ignition key I got goosebumps. like F1 race car
Neighbourhood hate it:D at 8300rpm god

Sorry for offtopic

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiophile Bill
nice car, i had from 2012 to 2014 a M5 V10. every time i got into the car and turned the ignition key I got goosebumps. like F1 race car
Neighbourhood hate it:D

Sorry for offtopic
Very powerful and beautiful car, but also heavy as hell and very large.

But OK... I am going to change my statement to: "Real cars have AT LEAST V8's in them". :)

Reactions: DasguteOhr
Neighbourhood hate it:D at 8300rpm god

Sorry for offtopic
That was always the m5 version I wanted. V10 for the win imho.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing