added a 3rd Studer A-820 Mk2 with both 1/4" and 1/2" heads, guides and hubs

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
You yourself seem to be sure of something .
I would take a recognized brand like studer any time over master tape sound lab or ( modded Studer DIY )
There is progress everywhere, and 50 years is long time.

Also, don't forget: Studers were not designed for best sound. Their application called for different set of important parameters, including such things as quick calibration, and they sacrificed a lot for that goal.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I would love to do a piano recording my self , record and play with the microphone distance / placement.
Stockmachines at first that is :cool:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Last year i bought about 10 K worth of tapes .
Horch house vd hul Open reel records Hemiolia Mastertape soundlab Tape project and the list goes on and on .
Id say 20 % is really good , for the rest you might as well spin a CD
The whole flightcase you see is full of tapes

Open reel records and Hemiolia are also very good .
But dynamically Hugh masekela is top
Ps regarding the tape project, i only have a mono recording which sounded good too , id love to try more

1638468524797.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I have about 350 tapes and a lot are really good......I played digital a couple of times last year...not worth the effort....
my new Melco TT has closed in on the A80s but still no cigar
a crazy good one is Charles Mingus: Tijuana Moods

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I´ve been through all types of speakers through 50 years and found my peace with this DIY system that replaced Avantgarde Trio´s
Wilsons
Apogees
Acoustat
Quads
Soundlabs
Audiostatic
Altecs
JBL...

forgot Dahlquist and DCM time window from the years when I frequented Elektrocompaniet in Oslo
and Dayton Wright helium filled electrostatics

the only contender was Harold Beveridge 2SW

Last edited:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
a little question, why is nobody using an Ampex 351 or a Telefunken M5. this is how the best recordings of classical music have been made. excellent tube head amps are also on board
Ampex 351

Telefunken M 5c

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
I have the Ampex 350 that I love for its nostalgic value, and when connected to my head preamp it produces wonderful sound, but it is a playback deck only, and there are many attributes in it that make it fall short of modern standards. Its drive mechanism is primitive next to the more advanced machines. I added a simple electronic tape counter to mine - not having a counter is one of the first things you notice lacking. The second is manual tape lifters. it still does amazingly well for such an old machine (mine has the 1958 date written inside, whether true or not), and it is still running on its antique-looking original motor capacitors. The wire insulation crumbled in spots, but the darn beast keeps moving its tape! :)

Reactions: DasguteOhr

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
I´ve been through all types of speakers through 50 years and found my peace with this DIY system that replaced Avantgarde Trio´s
Wilsons
Apogees
Acoustat
Quads
Soundlabs
Audiostatic
Altecs
JBL...

forgot Dahlquist and DCM time window from the years when I frequented Elektrocompaniet in Oslo
and Dayton Wright helium filled electrostatics

the only contender was Harold Beveridge 2SW
I am yet to meet one DIYer, whose contraption did not slaughter (in his mind, of course...) all the giants. :)

There's something to be said for personal involvement. :)

I myself still carry that virus in my blood. :)

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I have the Ampex 350 that I love for its nostalgic value, and when connected to my head preamp it produces wonderful sound, but it is a playback deck only, and there are many attributes in it that make it fall short of modern standards. Its drive mechanism is primitive next to the more advanced machines. I added a simple electronic tape counter to mine - not having a counter is one of the first things you notice lacking. The second is manual tape lifters. it still does amazingly well for such an old machine (mine has the 1958 date written inside, whether true or not), and it is still running on its antique-looking original motor capacitors. The wire insulation crumbled in spots, but the darn beast keeps moving its tape! :)
A beast of machine like a old vw beetle runs forever.;)
Decca had made most of sxl series recordings in kingsway hall with ampex 351 and decca tree ul 50 mics neumann. On photo left down the portable version. AMPEX_351_Assortment.jpg

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing