Abbas dac 2.1 se

Does anyone here stream with wireless Wi-Fi instead of wired Ethernet?
Charles
I do. I use a Raspberry Pi with Moode software on it to stream. I stream from my phone with another piece of software called BubbleUPnP.

Happy to dicuss if you want. Feel free to DM me.

Also here is a thread on HIFI Haven about it:

I have an excellent CD transport to pair with the 3.2SE. I’m also very interested to explore Qobuz,Tidal and internet radio. With proper implementation Wi-Fi should work seamlessly.

Reactions: limberpine
Solid and optimized streaming option will always be LAN-based (besides you really have good acces points, not talking about average consumer ones, go for Aruba or Ubiquity..not that expensive, but a differen story in regards of WiFi!).

Watch the channel from Hans he has good streaming reviews and he ONLY reviews stuff he is convinced about: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCR4tuhqPppVp-PD0q17sPEA

Reactions: Artnet
Solid and optimized streaming option will always be LAN-based (besides you really have good acces points, not talking about average consumer ones, go for Aruba or Ubiquity..not that expensive, but a differen story in regards of WiFi!).

Watch the channel from Hans he has good streaming reviews and he ONLY reviews stuff he is convinced about: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCR4tuhqPppVp-PD0q17sPEA
In a Wi-Fi set up do you mean direct LAN cable from streamer to router or mesh/extender?

I have heard from people telling me they have excellent sound quality results with a pure wireless system. I’ll view the video tonight.
Charles

In a Wi-Fi set up do you mean direct LAN cable from streamer to router or mesh/extender?

I have heard from people telling me they have excellent sound quality results with a pure wireless system. I’ll view the video tonight.
Charles
Regular Wifi setup I meant:
<router/modem> ?-?Wifi AP (like Aruba or Ubiquity)

Depends what "ecxellent" means for you, there is always a drawback with Wireless like Wifi or Bluetooth. So many devices in average household are on same frequency band (2.4/5GHz).

If you have a very reveiling speaker system and you like HiRes details, than Audio-optimized LAN will make a difference.

Reactions: charles1dad
After reading about the mods Lukasz did to the CEC TL1X I decided to pick up a TL1. In stock form it sounds way different than my current production TL5. I had to switch the rectifier in the Abbas to compensate for this. Will probably do the simple mod of wiring the spdif direct to the output.

Got my TL1X back with interesting comments from the Tech who worked on it.
Might be of interest?
Sounding really rather good with the DAC 4.1, on SPDIF. If you haven't seen the square wave on the AES/EBU output before, its worth a look and will be investigating how to out put from balanced to a DDC to hopefully a 3.2SE.
Wont be celebrating that just yet. If only Santa could grant my wish!!! Flag_of_Ukraine_sml.png

Last edited:
Hi Ron,
Perhaps a broad brush with regard to the entire forum. But, some will dismiss an otherwise excellent audio product if perceived as too affordable or accessible.

Sometimes lower cost can ironically work against a terrific component. There are those who unapologetically correlate cost and assumed quality.
Charles

Yes; this is a rookie mistake.
Ron,
Agree 100%!
This is what @jespera is alluding to.
If Abbas DACs were 10-15K they’d quite likely attract more attention given the psychology of perceived worth.
Charles

Ron,
Agree 100%!
This is what @jespera is alluding to.
If Abbas DACs were 10-15K they’d quite likely attract more attention given the psychology of perceived worth.
Charles
Yes, thats the sad thing the last 5y+ in HiFi - NO INNOVATION, just dramatic price increase with fancy look (design inside is many times just worth a smile..).

"Real" worthwhile AMP/DAC design going back to the roots of the 60/70/80s (Copland, Threshold, Quad, Goldmund..)...

WHY certain DIY builders get so much attention?
A: BECAUSE THEY BUILD IT FOR ONE PURPOSE: listening to music, NOT watching gear & blindly following mainstream consumers (owning 'a brand')!

Gerald

Regular Wifi setup I meant:
<router/modem> ?-?Wifi AP (like Aruba or Ubiquity)

Depends what "ecxellent" means for you, there is always a drawback with Wireless like Wifi or Bluetooth. So many devices in average household are on same frequency band (2.4/5GHz).

If you have a very reveiling speaker system and you like HiRes details, than Audio-optimized LAN will make a difference.

With my auralic g2 streamer i find that the difference being wired directly to my roon nucleus core and running it wireless through a google wifi is minimal. Small enough for me to stick with the wifi for the time being, at least. That said, the g2 streamer is supposedly optimised for wifi connection. I also think that results may depend on the wifi, router, switches, cables, software and what not. This stuff is a very dark rabbit hole. So fwiw ymmv etc.

A friend of mine supplies his streamer from the router through optical connection and two serial ether regen switches. Needles to say with multiple linear power supplies and one of the switches is also abbas valve clocked. The fun never ends. It does actually sound good.

But not as good as a good cd transport though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Artnet and gerihifi
Once I receive the 3.2SE and get familiar with it in my system I plan to get a streaming network player/server. Researching potential options right now.

I will continue CD transport usage (It’s so musically satisfying). I look forward to having both options available for listening, 3.2SE should exploit the virtues of both sources.
Charles

In the rest of the house i use lps’ed hifi berry rpi streamers through wifi. For the money they sound quite ok.

In the rest of the house i use lps’ed hifi berry rpi streamers through wifi. For the money they sound quite ok.
There is a Pi based network player streamer, Magna Mano Ultra MK III from the Netherlands. Are you by chance familiar with it? It received a very positive YouTube review from Hans Beekhuyzen.

There is a Pi based network player streamer, Magna Mano Ultra MK III from the Netherlands. Are you by chance familiar with it? It received a very positive YouTube review from Hans Beekhuyzen.

No sorry, i dont.

I havent encountered any streamer or server that really puts a smile on my face and makes me want to recommend it. Some of it is better than other but i feel no love for any of it.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. Great values are always welcome, and should be applauded!

I like bang for my bucks and thats partly why i stick to vintage and niche products. But the real reason is that i actually prefer the sound of these products over modern stuff.

Don't know by myself, but gets good feedback from German based Audio Forums.
For that price and how the build it, you will not get anything close from the usual suspects.

Like said before, if Hans gives thumbs up in his review, yor are good to go, he is Mister modern DAC ;-)

No sorry, i dont.

I havent encountered any streamer or server that really puts a smile on my face and makes me want to recommend it. Some of it is better than other but i feel no love for any of it.
For me I prefer only streaming and really dont like roon/Audirvana, because prefer CDs for records i like to own. Any music server like Taiko or Antipodes are in my it-nerd prospective a waste of time & money (seeing those specs ..my goodness, why the heck would I waste time with upsampling good source material? Sorry, its just mindblowing how people think about those music servers and this stupid battle about HiRes...sure Grimm Audio MU1, Antipodes, dCS LINA, MSB will sound amazing if you hunt for the most details in any song, but is this really what we are looking for to listen to various music??)

I will use my vintage Pioneer PD-93 CD going through Spdif to the Abbas DAC and will also test my (highly recommend) Lumin U2 Mini/Ferrum Hypsos combo streamer via Abbas DAC as well.

I assume my 3.2 will not be ready before end of Jan.

Reactions: jespera and Artnet
With my auralic g2 streamer i find that the difference being wired directly to my roon nucleus core and running it wireless through a google wifi is minimal. Small enough for me to stick with the wifi for the time being, at least. That said, the g2 streamer is supposedly optimised for wifi connection. I also think that results may depend on the wifi, router, switches, cables, software and what not. <snip>

This is definitely an everything affects everything product. I also have the Auralic Vega G2 and I had one heck of a time getting it up and running in my house, due to the distance and obstacles from the modem. When I upgraded the modem, went from a tri-band router to a mesh network, lost any repeaters and upgraded the Ethernet cables from the modem to the mother mesh unit and also from one of the satellites to the G2? It completely changed the sonic signature/performance of the Auralic Vega G2.

At this point, I can't see any reason to ever hard wire it. The signal is clean, the sonics have extremely low digital glare, congestion, grain or noise (even during the busiest of passages) and I haven't even gotten a LPS for any of these components yet. The LPS's should clear up the rest of what I hear (based upon my observations of what a buddy of mine did at his house) and I have further Ethernet cable upgrades, fuses, cables, PC's and other things coming to further reduce any unwanted artifact(s) that I barely hear as it is.

Their are a plethora of ways/configurations to hook these units up and I would be leery of hard wiring right now. in fear that I would actually ADD noise back into the G2.

My apologies to the OP for the off topic post. I just thought I'd chime in for a stint, but I do see the door over there. I'll show myself out now.

Tom

Reactions: jespera and Artnet

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing