Abbas dac 2.1 se

I posted this over on HIFI haven, but wanted to post it here too.

This is an Abbas 2.0 kit that I need to get in a box and add power and I will be up an running.

Pretty excited to hear the TDA1541.
Good work. How much did it cost?

Reactions: limberpine
@limberpine
Hi,
Are you going to try and use some of the same types of parts (Germanium transistors/diodes/Audio Note tantalum resistors/Siemens /Blackgate caps etc.) Abbas utilizes for SE versions ?
Charles

Last edited:
@limberpine
Hi,
Are you going to try and use some of the same types of parts (Germanium transistors/diodes/Audio Note tantalum resistors/Siemens /Blackgate caps etc.) Abbas utilizes for SE versions ?
Charles
If I knew where to start, I would certainly put some of those parts in. How would I tell if some of those parts aren't already in there?

Although there are already blackgate caps in there already.

Abbas did say that the additional tuning paired with better boards is what makes up the SE versions.

Reactions: charles1dad
@jespera
Hi,
What brand of 6080 came with your 3.2SE? Are you still using them or have you gone on to something else? Simple curiously. Abbas encourages trying different tubes and I just wondered if you had bothered. There's a side of me that wants to leave things alone. I have done my share of rolling tubes with other components.
Charles

It came with metal base general electric 6080. Still using those and the other tubes it came with.

@jespera
Thanks. I know that there are higher tiers of 6080 such as GEC/Benedix/Chatham/Tung Sol etc. It some special deal just falls into my lap, okay.

I am thinking of just staying with one of the basic varieties Abbas builds with. Raytheon for me he said. I suspect he uses what is ever handy/available at the time. My rationale, if they didn’t sound good he wouldn’t have used them.
Charles

If I knew where to start, I would certainly put some of those parts in. How would I tell if some of those parts aren't already in there?

Although there are already blackgate caps in there already.

Abbas did say that the additional tuning paired with better boards is what makes up the SE versions.
Good luck with building. Its quite difficult to get close to Abbas build quality ;-)

6080 such as GEC/Benedix/Chatham/Tung Sol etc. It some special deal just falls into my lap, okay.

Not falling in your lap as such (3.2 owner alert), but Langrex have some GEC 6080's at a better price than I have seen. I have a matched Quad on order.
But am going to run with the stock tubes first. Its tuning I think and how revieling a system you have or want, what sound you like.

@Artnet
Thanks. I’m not familiar with Langrex. I have decided that at least initially I’ll stick with the stock tubes. There’s always the opportunity to change tubes down the road if desired.
Charles

@Artnet
It’s a bit hard to keep up with who has what. Do you have your 3.2SE or is it under construction?
Charles

It’s a steal! Way too economic for this forum.

Solid state (germanium) output stage, it looks like..?

Looking forward to hear what you think about it.
Ha!
Have to agree with that observation regarding cost. I’m interested as well with how the Abbas transistor analog output stage compares/differs from the tube DACs. Fun stuff.
Charles

under construction?
YES
Please spare me the excitement I know, I have to vent it at great expense buying valves tubes and other things in anticipation. :)

initially I’ll stick with the stock tubes

Wise I think as cant be listened to yet. Only mentioned Langrex as they are good distributor (in the UK) worthwhile to know about incase you change your mind. Although there are several closer to home i am sure.

Merry Christmas everyone!
My Abbas 3.2SE is completed and will be shipped soon. Really looking forward to finally hearing it in my audio system. Here’s an internal view.
1671933949139.jpeg

Another view.
1671934366843.jpeg

Ahhh, I see what Abbas mentioned in some Email conversatios in regards of new cooling options.

Will replace it with some beQuiet fan...

Ahhh, I see what Abbas mentioned in some Email conversatios in regards of new cooling options.

Will replace it with some beQuiet fan...
Yes, Abbas loves what the big bottle 6080 does sonically. But he acknowledges that these tubes generate considerable heat.

I am more than willing to accept some heat in exchange for higher sound quality. He seems happy with this new cooling option. I may still have the top off just to view the tubes.
I’ll see how it goes.
Charles

Does anyone here stream with wireless Wi-Fi instead of wired Ethernet?
Charles

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing