A Visit to AudioArts - NYC to hear CH Precision - FM Acoustics - Zellaton

SterlingReznor, no problem ! The ASR integrated I heard at AudioArts back in March was very impressive. I said it was tubelike in its presentation and I was very impressed with the quality of bass that was reproduced out of the Zellaton Legacy speaker. I can also tell you that in the smaller room, the soundstage was wide and deep and imaging was good. Not as laser focused as CH Precision or FM Acoustics but very good. I've not heard the Emotion but based on the synergy I heard with the smaller Zellaton, I believe this might be an outstanding pairing.

Thank you very much! Much appreciated.

Hi everyone. I'm excited to report an addition to my system: I've decided to purchase a CH Precision P1/X1 and add analog to my system. In early October, Gideon Schwartz and AudioArts agreed to send the P1/X1 and an L1 to me and a good friend of mine so that we could evaluate them (see post #105 on this thread). I wrote then that the L1 had significantly added to the realism of the presentation by dramatically improving the soundstage depth, space for each instrument and had illuminated the presentation from behind when added to my system. I added the L1 to my D1/C1/A1/X1 system. But I kept remembering the experience of hearing the P1/X1 in my good friend's system and the way the images were even more real and organic than I had ever heard before. I've wanted to add a turntable to my system for a long time. The biggest issue for me and what has kept from doing so is the flexible floor of my second story music room. I've decided to solve that problem by building a wall shelf to hold the turntable that will be bolted to the studs. The P1/X1 combination was so good, so real, that I decided to purchase them too. I've heard several exceptional phono pre-amp turntable combinations through the years and the P1/X1 now sits at the top of my list. The MC inputs for low output cartridges that eliminate the need for RC loading are unique in my experience and sound great. So hear we go; analog added to the system. Not quite right? What about the turntable and cartridge? I've decided to try the Sperling L3/Fuuga combination that I've heard at AudioArts three times. It will take a few months to get this all in place and for things to come together. I will update as things progress.

Hi everyone. I'm excited to report an addition to my system: I've decided to purchase a CH Precision P1/X1 and add analog to my system. In early October, Gideon Schwartz and AudioArts agreed to send the P1/X1 and an L1 to me and a good friend of mine so that we could evaluate them (see post #105 on this thread). I wrote then that the L1 had significantly added to the realism of the presentation by dramatically improving the soundstage depth, space for each instrument and had illuminated the presentation from behind when added to my system. I added the L1 to my D1/C1/A1/X1 system. But I kept remembering the experience of hearing the P1/X1 in my good friend's system and the way the images were even more real and organic than I had ever heard before. I've wanted to add a turntable to my system for a long time. The biggest issue for me and what has kept from doing so is the flexible floor of my second story music room. I've decided to solve that problem by building a wall shelf to hold the turntable that will be bolted to the studs. The P1/X1 combination was so good, so real, that I decided to purchase them too. I've heard several exceptional phono pre-amp turntable combinations through the years and the P1/X1 now sits at the top of my list. The MC inputs for low output cartridges that eliminate the need for RC loading are unique in my experience and sound great. So hear we go; analog added to the system. Not quite right? What about the turntable and cartridge? I've decided to try the Sperling L3/Fuuga combination that I've heard at AudioArts three times. It will take a few months to get this all in place and for things to come together. I will update as things progress.

Congrats, great add to your system !!

Congrats on the wicked analog front end!
Heard the fuuga at axpona but in an unfamiliar setup. Curious on how you find it. As you've no doubt heard, analog is addictive and you'll love what your ears are hearing when the needle hits the LP.

Impressive additions! Eagerly awaiting feedback on the P1

Dear rsorren1,
i also have P1 with X1 and is an incredible match.
I have also a Kondo GE1,very very good,but P1 is better in every parameter.

I am sorry to push you to spend money,buy if you try 2 A1 in mono is better than A1 in stereo,you can try in future.

If i can sell my Kondo,i have idea to buy M1 and use M1 in mono for low and mid and A1 mono for tweeter.
Also i will check the difference between M1 and A1 in my system.
Regards
Gianluigi

Congrats Ralph! Welcome to the dark side of black spinning vinyl (again).
I'm sure you'll have many hours of great listening.

Congrats Ralph! Welcome to the dark side of black spinning vinyl (again).
I'm sure you'll have many hours of great listening.

+1 on Congrats to Rsorren1. GShelley, I must say, you have a great system. In fact, between Dallas and Austin...there are a lot of VERY nice systems! Yours, JFrech, RSorren1, Albert Porter?, and 'Babybear''s Rockport Arrakis with the 4 mono VTL system...some serious audio in TX!

Dear rsorren1,
i also have P1 with X1 and is an incredible match.
I have also a Kondo GE1,very very good,but P1 is better in every parameter.

I am sorry to push you to spend money,buy if you try 2 A1 in mono is better than A1 in stereo,you can try in future.

If i can sell my Kondo,i have idea to buy M1 and use M1 in mono for low and mid and A1 mono for tweeter.
Also i will check the difference between M1 and A1 in my system.
Regards
Gianluigi

Gianluigi, thanks for the note. Rather than buying another A1, I would purchase a stereo M1. I've heard it and the M1 is a fabulous amp. My speakers seem to match well with the A1 so I'm staying with it for now but agree with you that mono amps have advantages over a stereo amp. If you purchase the M1 be sure to let us know. All the best.

Ralph - Congratulations on the purchase. I'll let you know when I'm in Dallas. Would love to hear how the Alexias sound with the CH Precision.

Mike

Ralph,
I didn't order the optional board with my P1 but will be adding the option very soon. something you can always add at a later date if you're wanting to squeeze the very best from the non-riaa eq on early pressings.
Your sperling fuuga combo will be pretty amazing i would think. What tables and carts did you consider or qualities of the combo that led to your decision?
Hi Tunes and thanks for the note. I did not specify the individual eq curves with my P1. If you did please elaborate on the value of having them. Thanks again.

CH Precision C1 question......

are there imminent plans for native double dsd and native Quad dsd (dsd x2 + x4) capability for this unit? I have many terabytes of 2x and 4x files.

last summer (of 2015) when I purchased my Trinity dac and SE GG I was very close to buying a C1; then realized it re-sampled all dsd to PCM. now I see dsd can stay in dsd but is limited to regular dsd (at this point that I find in my research). I like that the C1 has the 50 ohm 'zeel' interface my dart pre uses (the Swiss family connection) so I continue to lurk watching (C1) things develop. I also appreciate the modular approach and that a transport is a (albeit very spendy) choice.

Last edited:
Not that I know of as yet Mike but I can ask Florian. It took my C1 a hideously long time to burn in because I listen mostly to analog in the big room but since I finally said, "to heck with the electricity bill!" and ran it non stop a a few days a few months ago, I can say I'm extremely happy with mine from lowly AAC of a MBP to Hi-Rez to standard DSD via D1 and Server. Next step is to get off the USB train and go Ethernet. I've been told the effort is well worth it.

Not that I know of as yet Mike but I can ask Florian. It took my C1 a hideously long time to burn in because I listen mostly to analog in the big room but since I finally said, "to heck with the electricity bill!" and ran it non stop a a few days a few months ago, I can say I'm extremely happy with mine from lowly AAC of a MBP to Hi-Rez to standard DSD via D1 and Server. Next step is to get off the USB train and go Ethernet. I've been told the effort is well worth it.

thanks Jack. when I was seriously on the C1 the Ethernet direction was where I was headed. all the feedback seemed to point that way as superior.

thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide. gotta love the Swiss stuff.

thanks Jack. when I was seriously on the C1 the Ethernet direction was where I was headed. all the feedback seemed to point that way as superior.

thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide. gotta love the Swiss stuff.

Mike, the C1 is a phenomenal DAC. I've compared the three different inputs extensively over the past 10 months that I've had mine. 1- playing through the D1 transport using CH-Link and clock sync cards in D1/C1. This is the most natural, open, detailed. 2- Ethernet. Very close to the D1 input and at times indistinguishable from the transport. Settings on the C1 allow you to specify "Clock Source" and to use the internal C1 clock for this input. 3- USB - best USB I've heard but still a bit "hard" sounding at times comparatively. Again Clock Source allows you to use the internal C1 clock instead of clock in the audio stream. Final note: I highly recommend using an X1 supply with the C1. I've found better noise floor, foundation to the music, and dynamics improve with the X1

I have been using the C1 for a few months now and it is outstanding. So far only with Coax and USB. This week I am waiting for the D1 and X1 to arrive and will then use the CH Link between the C1 and D1. IMO the USB option sounds great as well. The "CH-sound" is very natural and gives you a very deep connection to the music. I hear details I have never heard and I have had some good DAC`s before. I believe that this equipment is as good as such gear can get technically and with the upgrade options future proof as well.

I few months back I would never seriously have thought about buying a transport like the D1, but having used the C1 for a while and experienced its quality I expect that my several thousand CD/SACD will come into new life as well. Especially by using the CH-link Interface.
Great stuff indeed!

Hi Jep when yur D1 comes try out slaving the clock to the internal of the C1. It only takes a BNC and a few setting changes. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing