CH Precision compared to Nagra

Woots

Feb 15, 2022
Curious to get feedback on a comparison between CH Precision and Nagra in general. More specifically looking at HD Nagra Amps and Pre versus Ch Precision M amp and their Pre. Would be replacing Audio Research Ref160S and Ref6SE amp and preamp. Main system consists of Nagra Tube Dac, Grimm MU1 and Wilson Audio Alexia V. Additionally, Transparent cabling and Audioquest Niagara 5000 conditioner. Use all high end cords, primarily Transparent.

Thank you for time and consideration.

Nathanu

VIP/Donor
Dec 14, 2020
Curious to get feedback on a comparison between CH Precision and Nagra in general. More specifically looking at HD Nagra Amps and Pre versus Ch Precision M amp and their Pre. Would be replacing Audio Research Ref160S and Ref6SE amp and preamp. Main system consists of Nagra Tube Dac, Grimm MU1 and Wilson Audio Alexia V. Additionally, Transparent cabling and Audioquest Niagara 5000 conditioner. Use all high end cords, primarily Transparent.

Thank you for time and consideration.
I used to own Audio Research Ref 160S Amp, Ref 6SE Preamp, and Ref 3SE Phono. I replaced these components with the CH Precision M1.1, L1, and P1. I now have the CH Precision M10, L10, and P10. I had a chance to listen to an all Nagra system at my local dealer with the same speakers that I owned at that time (Vivid Audio).

First, comparing CH Precision to Audio Research, I much prefer CH Precision, for the same reasons that others have reported with respect to CH Precision generally. The speed, dynamic range, power, and harmonics are far superior, in my opinion. With Audio Research (and with other systems that I have owned), I found that I was limiting my listening to a narrower type of music - mostly acoustic music, female vocals, small jazz ensembles, and chamber music. The electronics could not handle rock, orchestra, or other music with higher current demands. CH Precision gives me a far greater sense of natural, live realism for more types of music. There is nothing about the positives of Audio Research (and, as you know, there are many) that I miss.

Second, comparing CH Precision to Nagra, I found the Nagra to be a little lifeless when compared to CH Precision. Nagra did not give me the soundstage, inner detail, quickness , and realism of CH Precision.

Of course, all of this is system and room dependent. And, your tastes may be different than mine. If you get 10 opinions you may get 10 different answers.

Good luck. And, if you are looking for a referral to a quality dealer who has available factory recertified 1 Series CH Precision (from the many trade ins of the 1 series to the 10 series) or new 1 or 10 Series equipment, feel free to message me offline.

Nathan

Woots

Feb 15, 2022
I used to own Audio Research Ref 160S Amp, Ref 6SE Preamp, and Ref 3SE Phono. I replaced these components with the CH Precision M1.1, L1, and P1. I now have the CH Precision M10, L10, and P10. I had a chance to listen to an all Nagra system at my local dealer with the same speakers that I owned at that time (Vivid Audio).

First, comparing CH Precision to Audio Research, I much prefer CH Precision, for the same reasons that others have reported with respect to CH Precision generally. The speed, dynamic range, power, and harmonics are far superior, in my opinion. With Audio Research (and with other systems that I have owned), I found that I was limiting my listening to a narrower type of music - mostly acoustic music, female vocals, small jazz ensembles, and chamber music. The electronics could not handle rock, orchestra, or other music with higher current demands. CH Precision gives me a far greater sense of natural, live realism for more types of music. There is nothing about the positives of Audio Research (and, as you know, there are many) that I miss.

Second, comparing CH Precision to Nagra, I found the Nagra to be a little lifeless when compared to CH Precision. Nagra did not give me the soundstage, inner detail, quickness , and realism of CH Precision.

Of course, all of this is system and room dependent. And, your tastes may be different than mine. If you get 10 opinions you may get 10 different answers.

Good luck. And, if you are looking for a referral to a quality dealer who has available factory recertified 1 Series CH Precision (from the many trade ins of the 1 series to the 10 series) or new 1 or 10 Series equipment, feel free to message me offline.

Nathan
Nathan,

Really appreciate the time you took to write your reply! I may be in touch.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
You really need to compare both, preferably in your room, with your speakers.
From what I have read, Nagra sounds more like actual live music. CH is more analytical. This is not what Nathan experienced (although it would be good to know which Nagra components he auditioned specifically).

The Nagra HD Pre is widely regarded as one of the best preamps in the world. I haven’t heard much about the CH pre (which is not to say it’s not great).
CH is a young company, Nagra has been around for nearly 75 years. Nagra’s parent co is a huge business in the security space. This may make Nagra less likely to go under.

Since you already love the Tube DAC (as do I), there’s a strong argument to be made to use a Nagra pre and power amp. Nagra spends a huge amount of time voicing the components and designing them to work together.

This is a great review site: as unbiased as possible, with lots of detail: https://clubedoaudio.com.br/edicao-259/top-5-avmag-8/
He scored the Nagra HD preamp higher than the CH L1

Nagra Classic Pre and CH A1.5 reviewed here:

General conclusions are that CH is accurate and powerful but does not offer the last word in musicality “sonic signature”.

HD Amp scored higher than CH M1:

Last edited:
Reactions: MadFloyd

Woots

Feb 15, 2022
You really need to compare both, preferably in your room, with your speakers.
From what I have read, Nagra sounds more like actual live music. CH is more analytical. This is not what Nathan experienced (although it would be good to know which Nagra components he auditioned specifically).

The Nagra HD Pre is widely regarded as one of the best preamps in the world. I haven’t heard much about the CH pre (which is not to say it’s not great).
CH is a young company, Nagra has been around for nearly 75 years. Nagra’s parent co is a huge business in the security space. This may make Nagra less likely to go under.

Since you already love the Tube DAC (as do I), there’s a strong argument to be made to use a Nagra pre and power amp. Nagra spends a huge amount of time voicing the components and designing them to work together.

This is a great review site: as unbiased as possible, with lots of detail: https://clubedoaudio.com.br/edicao-259/top-5-avmag-8/
He scored the Nagra HD preamp higher than the CH L1

Nagra Classic Pre and CH A1.5 reviewed here:

General conclusions are that CH is accurate and powerful but does not offer the last word in musicality “sonic signature”.

HD Amp scored higher than CH M1:
Great feedback! I really appreciate what you shared!

JeromeFrancis

Dec 9, 2023
Zurich
I have not heard CH P myself but only read and hear great things about their electronics, also the features to adjust the feedback etc. seem to be a real game changer.
When it comes to Nagra, I agree with Zeotrop that If you already own the Tube Dac and you like the sound, in terms of synergy, Nagra would be the recommended path. Nagra is testing with Wilson and frequently presenting their electronics with Wilson Alexia speakers.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
You cannot go wrong with either CH or Nagra, that’s for sure. It’s just about fine tuning and synergy…
I think Nagra offers a bit more value for the money, especially if you don’t need all the tuning features of the CH Phono.

Woots

Feb 15, 2022
I have not heard CH P myself but only read and hear great things about their electronics, also the features to adjust the feedback etc. seem to be a real game changer.
When it comes to Nagra, I agree with Zeotrop that If you already own the Tube Dac and you like the sound, in terms of synergy, Nagra would be the recommended path. Nagra is testing with Wilson and frequently presenting their electronics with Wilson Alexia speakers.
Thank you for your opinion. Based on some feedback here and other sources I’m going to try and make it work with Nagra.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing