A tale of Gain.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Analyzing and optimizing the signal gain chain of an RF system can be complicated and I have no reason to believe it is different in audio. Choosing the optimum gain to maximize dynamic range and minimize distortion can be tricky. However, audio components seem to have relatively standard gains and very wide dynamic range so we get away with a lot...

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
This may not be applicable to the systems of many of the members here, but you'll almost always want to have the preamp operating at -40dB or more of its maximum gain due to the volume potentiometer. The exception are those preamps with discrete volume pots. This is because most volume pots don't track well at below -40dB.

So, dropping the gain on the power amp, and operating the preamp at it's "sweet spot" may be very beneficial for the majority of preamps available.

The other consideration is how the power amp gain is switched. A couple of the power amps I've seen with this gain switch achieves this by negative feedback in the input buffer stage to drop the open loop gain. A lower gain implies higher negative feedback (note I'm not one of the "all feedback is bad" brigade), and this can change the characteristics of the sound.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Gary, that's very interesting about the change in negative feedback. I'm not one who generally likes negative feedback designs. Do you know which amps utilize this feature in this manner?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Gary, that's very interesting about the change in negative feedback. I'm not one who generally likes negative feedback designs. Do you know which amps utilize this feature in this manner?

My amp does. I've never used it

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

Davey, you might mean "global negative feedback". There are exceedingly few amplifiers that have no feedback at all. I won't name names, but there's usually always some local feedback.

Steve Williams

A description of my amp.......

The ML3 has no overall feedback loop, however the amplifier features an option that allows the user to introduce a small amount of local feedback in the output stage. Furthermore, there is a choice of two amounts of such feedback: NFB1 and NFB2, which differ in their levels. Therefore, there are three options regarding feedback use in the amplifier: no feedback, NFB1 or NFB2.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Often times I would wonder why I read so many posts about impedance matching but hardly ever any posts about gain matching aside from in carts-phonostages. Not just gain but voltage drive as well especially for many of us who bi-amp (including those using subs fed from the pre's secondary outputs). We also tend to use long runs of interconnects.

I use one preamp that deals with this is a bit different way. The Valvet Soulshine has two knobs in the middle. What they do is control the input sensitivity for the sources. When you play with them the first thought is that the can be used as balanced controls. The more you listen though it becomes obvious that they shouldn't. Every mismatch between L and R show different distortion spectra which are clearly audible as notes sound...... wait for it :).....a tad hirsute.

I suppose this also cuts the usage of the available peak gain thereby indirectly rendering it adjustable. I have found that there is indeed a sweetspot and these vary according to the amps they are used to drive. Same goes albeit more directly for the input stage.

@Steve

I don't see at all why there would be an adjustable gain option for the LL1 when it was designed specifically for the ML3. Specs show it would also do well with the greater majority of amps out there. Still, personally, I can't even think of the LL1 without thinking of the ML3. I suspect that an overwhelming majority of LL1 buyers are buying them to complete the Signature set.

Steve Williams

Often times I would wonder why I read so many posts about impedance matching but hardly ever any posts about gain matching aside from in carts-phonostages. Not just gain but voltage drive as well especially for many of us who bi-amp (including those using subs fed from the pre's secondary outputs). We also tend to use long runs of interconnects.

I use one preamp that deals with this is a bit different way. The Valvet Soulshine has two knobs in the middle. What they do is control the input sensitivity for the sources. When you play with them the first thought is that the can be used as balanced controls. The more you listen though it becomes obvious that they shouldn't. Every mismatch between L and R show different distortion spectra which are clearly audible as notes sound...... wait for it :).....a tad hirsute.

I suppose this also cuts the usage of the available peak gain thereby indirectly rendering it adjustable. I have found that there is indeed a sweetspot and these vary according to the amps they are used to drive. Same goes albeit more directly for the input stage.

@Steve

I don't see at all why there would be an adjustable gain option for the LL1 when it was designed specifically for the ML3. Specs show it would also do well with the greater majority of amps out there. Still, personally, I can't even think of the LL1 without thinking of the ML3. I suspect that an overwhelming majority of LL1 buyers are buying them to complete the Signature set.

Best amp/preamp combo I've ever owned and now comes Vlad's Signature Phonostage to complete his Signature line

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

The ML3 has no overall feedback loop, however the amplifier features an option that allows the user to introduce a small amount of local feedback in the output stage. Furthermore, there is a choice of two amounts of such feedback: NFB1 and NFB2, which differ in their levels. Therefore, there are three options regarding feedback use in the amplifier: no feedback, NFB1 or NFB2.

Steve, have you ever experimented with the feedback adjustment? I had left my gain setting alone assuming that was the right one based on my dealer's suggestion. However, as I posted, that turned out not to be the case with my particular preamp/amp combo. If the ML3 has an ability to easily change the feedback, may be worth an experiment? BTW, if I'm not mistaken, HD of Dartzeel dislikes global feedback so much that he has made it a point of removing it from his designs. I presume that you have your amps set up with no feedback, vs. NFB1 or NFB2. Is that how Vladimir delivers them?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Would be interesting to know why people would want that option. It's not something that I would think would be an asset either. The ability to change gain settings is another matter though.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Several other tube designs have this feature. It will change gain, but the main measured effect will come from changing the damping factor of the amplifier, as feedback will reduce the output amplifier impedance. A small reduction in distortion is also expected. However most users will prefer the non-feedback position. :confused:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing