Progression from the Ortofon Jubilee MC

Urbinator

Apr 9, 2024
Hatfield
Hi, I have been living with the Ortofon Jubilee for fifteen years, and it has been rebuilt three times. It’s a lovely-sounding cartridge and has always served me well, but I’d like a change.
The current setup involves the Bergman Galder Turntable with a Thor linear tracking arm. This is connected to my Mola Mola Makua preamp (Lupe phono board) using a balanced phono cable from Atlas.
I currently have the Hana Umami Blue on loan as an entry point for Excel Sounds phono cartridges. The sound is good, but it does not have the speed depth I have with the Jubilee.
Mik Bhavnani from Unique Audio suggested the Etsuro Urushi Cobalt Blue, which seems promising as a more forward-sounding cartridge with more presence. Still, at 0.25mv, I will hit near max on the prep amps gain.

I started this query on the Bergman “Galder” thread, but I felt it best to bring it to the open. I need a cartridge with a 0.3mv output, good forward presence, and speed, budgeting £3k to £5k. Appreciate this is personal taste, and it's not exactly easy to audition these, but I would like to expand and get a better match for the Bergmann turntable.

The picture is for reference. This is when I trialled the Modi, and it matched it quite nicely with the Denon DL103, which I'd had re-tipped with an Expert Stylus Paratrace stylus and Saphire cantilever.

Attachments

• _DSF9133.JPG
    _DSF9133.JPG
    372.2 KB · Views: 8

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
High River, Alberta Canada
Hi, I have been living with the Ortofon Jubilee for fifteen years, and it has been rebuilt three times. It’s a lovely-sounding cartridge and has always served me well, but I’d like a change.
The current setup involves the Bergman Galder Turntable with a Thor linear tracking arm. This is connected to my Mola Mola Makua preamp (Lupe phono board) using a balanced phono cable from Atlas.
I currently have the Hana Umami Blue on loan as an entry point for Excel Sounds phono cartridges. The sound is good, but it does not have the speed depth I have with the Jubilee.
Mik Bhavnani from Unique Audio suggested the Etsuro Urushi Cobalt Blue, which seems promising as a more forward-sounding cartridge with more presence. Still, at 0.25mv, I will hit near max on the prep amps gain.

I started this query on the Bergman “Galder” thread, but I felt it best to bring it to the open. I need a cartridge with a 0.3mv output, good forward presence, and speed, budgeting £3k to £5k. Appreciate this is personal taste, and it's not exactly easy to audition these, but I would like to expand and get a better match for the Bergmann turntable.

The picture is for reference. This is when I trialled the Modi, and it matched it quite nicely with the Denon DL103, which I'd had re-tipped with an Expert Stylus Paratrace stylus and Saphire cantilever.
Obviously you have tailored your system to your personal tastes. I think most of us do even if we are not aware of it.

So just wondering if you had considered a SUT? I appreciate that the Mola Mola phono is likely next level but if you are hitting a max? I would go there first but of course I am not familiar with your system.

I have a Hana Red and have heard the Cobalt Blue at a friend's place many times. These are very good cartridges but may not offer the forward sounding with presence that you seek.

Urbinator

Apr 9, 2024
Hatfield
Obviously you have tailored your system to your personal tastes. I think most of us do even if we are not aware of it.

So just wondering if you had considered a SUT? I appreciate that the Mola Mola phono is likely next level but if you are hitting a max? I would go there first but of course I am not familiar with your system.

I have a Hana Red and have heard the Cobalt Blue at a friend's place many times. These are very good cartridges but may not offer the forward sounding with presence that you seek.
The system has evolved over the years, and my taste is fast and detailed, which does not suit everyone. A good friend, when comparing mine and his, said that he did not like mine because there was too much there.
Thanks for the feedback. AudioHR, SUT is another option I have been considering, but as with cartridges, it isn't easy to audition these. They need to be matched with the cartridge, ideally balanced input and output, and, of course, the additional expense of yet another XLR cable to match the system. It will give me more options further down the line, but I need to find out what SUT will bring to the table. I think I can get on loan an ST-70 but this will mean switching back to RCA to trial.
It is good to hear some feedback on the Red/Blue, and that seems to reflect what I am hearing from the Hanna; it is a lovely-sounding cartridge but does not have the speed or detail I get from the Jubilee.

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
High River, Alberta Canada
The system has evolved over the years, and my taste is fast and detailed, which does not suit everyone. A good friend, when comparing mine and his, said that he did not like mine because there was too much there.
Thanks for the feedback. AudioHR, SUT is another option I have been considering, but as with cartridges, it isn't easy to audition these. They need to be matched with the cartridge, ideally balanced input and output, and, of course, the additional expense of yet another XLR cable to match the system. It will give me more options further down the line, but I need to find out what SUT will bring to the table. I think I can get on loan an ST-70 but this will mean switching back to RCA to trial.
It is good to hear some feedback on the Red/Blue, and that seems to reflect what I am hearing from the Hanna; it is a lovely-sounding cartridge but does not have the speed or detail I get from the Jubilee.
Switching from balanced to RCA does complicate things but I would encourage you to check out suitable SUTs.

Reactions: Urbinator

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

The official successor is Cadenza Black, same cantilever and stylus. Unfortunately the price has gone up so much. At first it cost 2.1k€ and now it costs 3.4k€. You should check to see if there is something nicer in that price range.

P.S cadenza bronce ist more musical in my ears.

Reactions: Urbinator

AudioAbe

Jun 10, 2021
UK
If your taste is fast and detailed, have you tried the Lyra Etna Lambda? The output for the standard (rather than SL) is 0.56. May be a good option for you.

AudioAbe

Jun 10, 2021
UK
If your taste is fast and detailed, have you tried the Lyra Etna Lambda? The output for the standard (rather than SL) is 0.56. May be a good option for you.
Sorry, I’ve just seen the price range. In the Lyra range, the Kleos would be the one to hear in that price bracket.

Urbinator

Apr 9, 2024
Hatfield
Lyra is one brand I considered a while back. I have not yet been able to listen to these cartridges, but they do seem to be able to tick some boxes.

I will also try to get ahold of the Ortofon ST70 to understand what an SUT can bring to the system.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing