Maximising phono gain without clipping inputs?

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
hey own a pair of ml 33.
I had to try a few preamps to make them sing
now they are huge to me.
Congratulations. They were reference components for some time. You need to match them with a livelier sounding pre. Try tube preamps from Nagra, Wavac etc to match 33’s high input impedance. Another option is Audio Consulting passive pre (transformer based) which is a great match IMHO.
Please keep in mind that their big capacitors fail. Regarding the age I bet they’re already changed. BTW 33H pair are better though.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Would be handy to have a list of some HOT albums which could be used to check and adjust gain, if necessary.
Some of the Detroit techno classics cut by NSC are transferred at a very high level. Not necessarily the most dynamic but average levels are very hot.

Reactions: rDin

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
BTW 33H pair are better though
I couldn't justify/afford the energy costs of mine any more. Each 33H idling at 250w, and then drawing near 2kW when playing. The Bel Canto draws around 40w and has higher output rating than ML.

• Haha
Reactions: mtemur

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I couldn't justify/afford the energy costs of mine any more. Each 33H idling at 250w, and then drawing near 2kW when playing. The Bel Canto draws around 40w and has higher output rating than ML.
My friend complained exactly the same reason while he had 33H.

Reactions: rDin

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
I'm still scratching my head how we went from abundant cheap energy "back in the day", and not concerned about running costs of things like Mark Levinson amps, or light bulbs(!), to being terrified of turning any appliances on these days... maybe I just wasn't paying attention back then *shrug*? And that's terrified AFTER converting the house to all low energy appliances. Something has gone very badly awry.

The other issue with the 33H was the H for HEAT. Also had to run aircon in the summer to combat the added heat from these units, adding to running expense. Nice in the colder months though!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing