A Search for Truth and Tonality

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
Wow, very convincing! ...Even more than convincing; revealing, startling! :b

well yes, as far as it goes. I only referred to it as it backed on perfectly to franks example.

I mean no-one (cept frank) would argue that things will sound good in a bare room like that, so there was only one way and that was straight up!

The question is however, compare that sound with the room instead carpeted, furnished etc etc.

THAT is the real question.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sorry Frank, your fellow NSW'er has got you over a barrel.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Just a note to say that the Philips system has been retired for some time now, a chip amp in one channel died after giving some hints for a while that it wasn't happy - other experiments in even "lower" quality gear were then pursued ... but now, playin' with proper stuff again!! NAD CD source and amp, bookshelf speakers - part way through the exercise ...

I'm posting some videos of what it sounds like on the way, at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzkx85ez3DVxRAnpkbQEA2w. Also, posting details of my progress, and thinking - see below.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
How you doing, Frank? When did you get back?

Tim

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Not too bad, thanks, Tim. Due to a glitch in the space time continuum, ;), I wasn't able to talk here until recently so have been fiddling with other things audio. Shame things have got so hot on WBF, but this objectivist vs. subjectivist rift is pretty well all around us, in audio land ...

What I'm pretty happy about is that I now have a decent USB microphone, which should be good enough to make recordings of the type of things I'm interested in - allows me to make my points more "audible", :).

Cheers,

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Frank, nice to see you back mate. :cool:

Perfect thread too: A Search for Truth & Tonality

But can we hear that @ our age? ...From measurements we can sure still see, but from our own ears? ...Above 10Khz I'm totally shut down.
But it's ok because from 20Hz to 200Hz it's where it matters the most. Fix those frequencies acoustically and the rest of the audio range will be cleaner...200Hz to 2Khz and up to 10Khz.

That last video above was very interesting when I first watched it, almost four years ago.

? 12Khz tone, can you hear it? ...Me I can't.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Frank, nice to see you back mate. :cool:

Perfect thread too: A Search for Truth & Tonality

But can we hear that @ our age? ...From measurements we can sure still see, but from our own ears? ...Above 10Khz I'm totally shut down.
But it's ok because from 20Hz to 200Hz it's where it matters the most. Fix those frequencies acoustically and the rest of the audio range will be cleaner...200Hz to 2Khz and up to 10Khz.

That last video above was very interesting when I first watched it, almost four years ago.

? 12Khz tone, can you hear it? ...Me I can't.

it scared me for a moment. I had to turn the volume up, but I heard it. I could hear the 8kz tone at the low volume.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Yes, I heard it easily. I was degausing a cartridge/system with the Cardas frequency sweep LP a while back and as my friend and I were sitting there, he thought the sweep tone was finished and he got up to lift the arm. I asked him what he was doing because it was clear to me that the sweep was still going. It went for another ten seconds or so. I don't know at what frequency I no longer heard anything.

That would it an interesting test with a bunch of audio buddies. Simply play this sweep and have everyone raise his hand when he no longer hears anything. Could be very telling.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Didn't try it, but a couple of years ago when working on the Philips setup full bore I was using the classic Denon test CD to check such things. Left ear gave up the chase around 15kHz or so, but the right was able to pick up the energy up to 18k - at those frequencies it registers more as a sensation, not so much "hearing something"; I had a track with only the one frequency playing on repeat, and the change you felt in your head when the track muted on rewind, and then started again, made the perceiving quite straightforward.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi Frank ! Nice to see you back! :)

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
And thanks to all those who have responded here! I'm still just as fired up to make good sound happen - whenever I feel a bit stale about the audio game something always seems to turn up which inspires me again - the challenge to make every recording give of its best is a worthy one, and I'm constantly delighted by discovering "new" bits of music, or ways of expressing musical ideas. The world needs 'better sound', desperately - so, do whatever it takes is my motto ...

An interesting side note: every audio system will show weaknesses in some area, as part of its natural, intrinsic balance; the current, quite decent NAD combo has little problem dispatching modern, high energy pop recordings; but classic Jukebox hit numbers from the late 50's or so reveal that the system is on the knife edge of being of sufficient quality, at the moment. This is good, because they become excellent "measuring sticks" of progress made, they mark the way forward very clearly.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Hi Frank. I liked the music that was playing. Does anyone know what it is?
Yes, good stuff! Luckily, YouTube has software which identifies pieces, and usually adds those details automatically - if you look just below the video on the page; you have "Published on ...", and then Music - "Sweet and Slow" by Gerry Mulligan ... very helpful add on, by YouTube!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing