A New Equalizer - sort of

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
UAT 002.jpg

Besides tape preamps and the like, I've been working on my own version of the Cello Palette Preamp (PP) and have "arrived" at the version shown in the attached pic. The Cello "trove" of parts a friend discovered yielded a complete two-board set for the PP and so I built it up. A problem I recognized right away was that to be really useful, the equalizer section should be "readily accessible" - like right at your normal listening position. It's no good (distracting) if you have to get up and go over to your equipment rack to make a minute adjustment. SO, I separated the equalizer from the preamp, using a multiconductor umbilical. Also got the neat plexiglass Cello "rollaround" base and mounted my first try on it (you can see it in the background of the pic).

Then the fun began - understanding how to use and get the best benefit from it. During the process I realized that for my tastes the original boost and cut amounts were too much - especially in the midrange; never needed more than a few dB, so I cut back on the total ranges. Also realized that an in/out switch was imperative so you could immediately compare your equalized "product" from the original - along with the ability to "tweak" the volume of each channel.

After modding the original unit I then began thinking about how to house the "new product" should I want to offer it "outside". Came to the conclusion that an equalizer/preamp combo is NOT needed - everyone has their own special preamp. SO why not just build the equalizer portion into as small a box as possible - and put another small box at the other end of the umbilical to house the power supply, bypass relay and in/out RCA jacks for connecting to your system wherever it is easiest (unit has unity gain)?

Result is what's shown in the picture. Works very nicely. I brought it down to Robin Wyatt for "audition" and he wouldn't let it out of his house. After a few hours of "play" he dubbed it the "UAT" - Ultimate Audio Toy - Now engraved on the power supply faceplate. Will bring the second (or third) one to Rocky Mountain.

Charles

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Cool Charles. Nice work. I'm running a parametric eq via the tape loop so I can engage and disengage to compare source vs. eq'd source. I have mine on a trolley so it can be by my side in the listening chair. Awesome flexibility to have eq when the source dictates. Thanks for the great idea. When I saw your Cello, my wheels started turning.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Charles.... sounds like a 19" rack mounted one would fit perfectly in a mastering desk!! ;)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Interesting, since I am currently running direct from my sources to the power amp (that sports input level knobs) and really enjoying the transparency and attack I got. I mention this because the "less-is-more" route is challenged here by both of you :)

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Thanks Guys,

Been away for a bit - at Walterfest (horn heaven)

Bruce - the "product" is already in the "pro domain" (Balanced I/0) - review here:http://www.charteroakacoustics.com/pressDocs/ResolutionMag_PEQ1_032012.pdf. This is (God forbid), the (unbalanced) audiophile version.

Flez - of course simplest is best - HOWEVER; this unit is designed to improve "flaws" in the program material. I think it's fair to say that when you get your system /room to that magic "degree of accuracy" so you can listen "through it" to the MUSIC and it's attendant emotion, you then realize the flaws that some (many?) transcriptions have.

Charles

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Cool Charles. Nice work. I'm running a parametric eq via the tape loop so I can engage and disengage to compare source vs. eq'd source. I have mine on a trolley so it can be by my side in the listening chair. Awesome flexibility to have eq when the source dictates. Thanks for the great idea. When I saw your Cello, my wheels started turning.
Christian, your system is starting to look truly insane. I love it.

Charles- thank you for chatting with me at the Waldorf show, i was mightily impressed by what you had going in the Robin room.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing