$100k Speaker Cables

Its all about knobs from start to finish .

Ps I m sure the american reviewer industry will do the nescessary product hyping like:
" Cant live without these / technical break through / best ever/ patent pending/ first ever distortion free cables ......

Its more or less like Wall Street

View attachment 130000

View attachment 130001

View attachment 130002
Funny the European reviewers will not hype this??
I hardly find Jay to be a credible reviewer but that is my opinion, I also audition all components in my home in my system and find most reviewers to be irrelevant.

It is my personal opinion that someone who thinks that a rich audiophile buys components for status to impress non-audiophile friends has been living for too long below ground in his own hobby rabbit hole.

I have never encountered a non-audiophile man or a non-audiophile woman who was impressed on a status basis by audio equipment in the way that many non-audiophiles are impressed by big houses, sports cars, fancy boats, private jet planes or even gold watches. On the contrary I know non-audiophiles who thought their audiophile friend was an idiot or a fool or both for spending big money on audio components.
Ron, well put!

My $98K cables sound just fine;)

Hi Ron. I have no hard evidence to respond to your comments / questions directed at me other than my personal experiences. As you know, that type of info would be impossible to find on line. I did help with two hi end system installs in Jackson, WY that fit the "status" symbol category. I also had two friends who owned AV businesses who told me of similar clients. Between myself and my "dealer" friends, I had personal knowledge of around five such instances. I lived there for 37 years and moved seven years ago so it has been awhile. And this is in Teton County, aka Jackson Hole, with a total population of approximately 20,000. I trust that is a sufficient response to your somewhat accusatory querries. I don't make shit up. Anecdotally, I strongly suspect that the system installs descrbed above occur in other uber expensive second home resort towns.

Last edited:
Funny the European reviewers will not hype this??
I hardly find Jay to be a credible reviewer but that is my opinion, I also audition all components in my home in my system and find most reviewers to be irrelevant.
If you google this new MIT thing , first thing that came up was him hyping the product .
Probably his business model .
Problem with a lot of reviewers is that they hype more or less anything , you got to find the gems that suit you ( that includes second hand market) by yourself .
I took me about 6 -7 years of buying / swapping to figure it out

Last edited:
Reactions: Republicoftexas69
Hi Ron. I have no hard evidence to respond to your comments / questions directed at me other than my personal experiences. As you know, that type of info would be impossible to find on line. I did help with two hi end system installs in Jackson, WY that fit the "status" symbol category. I also had two friends who owned AV businesses who told me of similar clients. Between myself and my "dealer" friends, I had personal knowledge of around five such instances. I lived there for 37 years and moved seven years ago so it has been awhile. And this is in Teton County, aka Jackson Hole, with a total population of approximately 20,000. I trust that is a sufficient response to your somewhat accusatory querries. I don't make shit up. Anecdotally, I strongly suspect that the system installs descrbed above occur in other uber expensive second home resort towns.

So to sum up , in order to justify your sweeping generalisation of audiophiles who choose to spend more of their own personal funds building their own personal system than you would consider necessary and merely for the sake of the vanity of possession , possibly even morally decent ? given the veracity of your postings , you put forward a mere two examples from personal experience and five further examples which in reality are mere hearsay … That is some compelling evidence right there !

Reactions: thedudeabides
I tried these or similar MIT cables at Goodwin’s High End a few years ago on Magico speakers in their big room. They sounded best with all dials turned to the “OFF” position. This defeated much of the unnatural sounding effect. I don’t read much about MIT these days. It’s great that Jay enjoys them. He must have gotten a great deal and will likely sell them for a profit.

Reactions: Lagonda
If you google this new MIT thing , first thing that came up was him hyping the product .
Probably his business model .
Problem with a lot of reviewers is that they hype more or less anything , you got to find the gems that suit you ( that includes second hand market) by yourself .
I took me about 6 -7 years of buying / swapping to figure it out
I am of the camp that Jay is not a reviewer and Jay only cares about Jay.

you put forward a mere two examples from personal experience and five further examples which in reality are mere hearsay .
Thanks for the response. I really appreciate your feedback. Best.

Reactions: PeterA
So to sum up , in order to justify your sweeping generalization of audiophiles who choose to spend more of their own personal funds building their own personal system than you would consider necessary and merely for the sake of the vanity of possession , possibly even morally decent ? given the veracity of your postings , you put forward a mere two examples from personal experience and five further examples which in reality are mere hearsay … That is some compelling evidence right there !
For once I agree with your post and yes the world is coming to an end.... Yet Jay still is not a reviewer he is just a YouTube influencer (not many buy his schtick). Hey if you have $100K to blow on this kind of stuff then good for you, you would be truly blessed if you used that $100K to help someone other than MIT.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I apologize for a slightly snotty inquiry (which responded to what I perceived as your over-generalization).

But I think there's another explanation here other than purchasing for status to impress other people.

Maybe somebody likes good sound, but has no interest in being an "audiophile" or a hobbyist. He/she doesn't want to wade into thousands of posts on WBF or start subscribing to audio magazines, and spend a significant amount of time reading reviews and visiting multiple dealers and making a whole big, complicated project out of it.

So he/she finds the nearest high-end audio dealer that carries Wilson and D'Agostino and MSB and Transparent, etc. Without much prior audio equipment auditioning experience for comparison or triangulation, he says himself "This sounds pretty damn good. I've never heard anything like this before. I like it! I'll take it!"

So he buys the whole set up (about $450,000) and the dealer installs it in a large living room in the customer's vacation home. The customer listens after the installation, and he/she is happy with the system.

Again, he's not a hobbyist. He has no interest in being a hobbyist.

He dipped his toe in the water for a finite period of time and a finite amount of research and he bought something he believes he likes. He just likes the idea of knowing that whenever he visits this vacation home, if the spirit moves him, and he feels like it, he can listen to a good audio system. The customer likes the idea that it's sitting there waiting for him.

I don't think this purchase has anything to do with status. It is very far from how members on this forum go about selecting components, and why. But that doesn't make it all about status.

PS: Why do I relate to this so easily? Because this state of mind and approach and process is exactly how we purchased our home theater system. We wanted a nice, dedicated, front projection home theater system, but I had no interest in learning about video. I had no interest in going down video component rabbit holes. I had no interest in reading video component reviews.

We found one home theater dealer, he seemed good, and we let him do the whole thing. We rarely use the home theater, but we like knowing it's there -- ready and waiting -- should the spirit move us to watch something.

Last edited:
Ron,

Thanks for your thoughtful response and I totally understand your perspective. I also knew folks in Wyoming that purchased systems for the exact reasons you described. No issues with me on that. And I think it is great to have sufficient funds to buy good stuff to enjoy and appreciate even though a second home vacation residence owner only occupies it on an infrequent basis. Especially quality time enjoying a good audio system. I apologize to all if I upset anyone regarding my rant and will be more sensitive to making statements that some folks may (and sometimes do) interpret as generalizations and find offensive. My bad. Best.

Last edited:
It is difficult to imagine what MIT missed. I believe there is a Mk II @$120k.OUCH!

Last edited:
Reactions: SCAudiophile
It is difficult to Magine what MIT missed. I believe there is a Mk II @$120k.OUCH!

Imagine you re a reviewer using these MITs .
With each and every product you have to adjust the knobs all over gain .
Sounds like work to me.

" i just reviewed component such and such and the knobs were at position so and so "
And afterwards you get a whole audiophile internet discussion that he reviewed the components with the knobs at the wrong position " :) .

Oh audiophilia

Yes. Pretty silly in my view. Absent the price issue and with available adjustments, impossible to compare opinions apples to apples.

Question. With the four different knobs, how many potential combination options would there be? Mind boggling indeed not mention that this could be the ultimate product for the OCD audio personality types.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing