Academy Awards Nominations 2016

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I am surprised that Love and Mercy didn't get more recognition. I thought it was superbly done and gave great insight into the life and mind of Brian Wilson

I agree. The acting by all of the characters was consistent across the board too.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Bridge of Spies - how many statuette(s) will it win...if any?
Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks are certainly alive and still doing great work.
...Not just George Miller & Tom Hardy (Max Rockatansky - Mad Max: Fury Road), and Alejandro G. Inarritu & Leonardo DiCaprio (Hugh Glass - The Revenant).

* What happened to In the Heart of the Sea ?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Bridge of Spies - how many statuette(s) will it win...if any?
Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks are certainly alive and still doing great work.
...Not just George Miller & Tom Hardy (Max Rockatansky - Mad Max: Fury Road), and Alejandro G. Inarritu & Leonardo DiCaprio (Hugh Glass - The Revenant).

* What happened to In the Heart of the Sea ?

Bridge of Spies was a very good movie and a well told story. Having said that I think it is coming up empty as far as gold statues are concerned

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I wish Straight Outta Compton would have received more Academy love.

Look forward to renting the Brian Wilson biopic...

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I had mixed feelings about Straight Outta Compton. My wife feels that Jason Mitchell was worthy of a Best Supporting Actor nomination for his portrayal of Eazy E.

Watched Mad Max Fury Road on Blu-Ray today. Not a Best Picture nominee in my opinion. Great if you like seeing stuff get blown up for two hours. It was worth the $2.17 I paid for the Red Box rental. Realize I am in the minority on the Mad Max franchise. First time I've seen one of the Mad Max movies.

Saw Hateful Eight over the weekend. Actually got the humor in the over the top blood and guts this time around. I was entertained for the nearly three hour running time. Not as good as Django Unchained in my opinion.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I saw this earlier today from somewhere on the cyber space:

"Rankings of the Categories (bold - what I expect to win)

Best Picture
The Revenant
The Big Short
Spotlight
Mad Max: Fury Road
Bridge of Spies
The Martian
Room
Brooklyn

Best Director
Alejandro G. Iñárritu – The Revenant
Adam McKay – The Big Short
George Miller – Mad Max: Fury Road
Tom McCarthy – Spotlight
Lenny Abrahamson – Room

Best Actor
Leonardo DiCaprio – The Revenant as Hugh Glass
Matt Damon – The Martian as Mark Watney
Bryan Cranston – Trumbo as Dalton Trumbo

Haven't Seen:
Michael Fassbender – Steve Jobs as Steve Jobs
Eddie Redmayne – The Danish Girl as Lili Elbe / Einar Wegener

Best Actress
Brie Larson – Room as Joy "Ma" Newsome
Cate Blanchett – Carol as Carol Aird
Jennifer Lawrence – Joy as Joy Mangano
Saoirse Ronan – Brooklyn as Eilis Lacey

Haven't Seen:
Charlotte Rampling – 45 Years as Kate Mercer

Best Supporting Actor (my favourite category)
Tom Hardy – The Revenant as John Fitzgerald
Christian Bale – The Big Short as Michael Burry
Mark Ruffalo – Spotlight as Michael Rezendes
Mark Rylance – Bridge of Spies as Rudolf Abel

Haven't Seen:
Sylvester Stallone – Creed as Rocky Balboa

Best Supporting Actress
Jennifer Jason Leigh – The Hateful Eight as Daisy Domergue
Rachel McAdams – Spotlight as Sacha Pfeiffer
Rooney Mara – Carol as Therese Belivet

Haven't Seen:
Alicia Vikander – The Danish Girl as Gerda Wegener
Kate Winslet – Steve Jobs as Joanna Hoffman

Best Original Screenplay
Straight Outta Compton
Spotlight
Bridge of Spies
Ex_ Machina

Haven't Seen:
Inside Out

Best Adapted Screenplay
The Big Short
The Martian
Carol
Room
Brooklyn

Best Foreign Language Film
Son of Saul

Haven't seen the others but I do expect this to win. Would like to see the others especially Embrace of the Serpent and A War (glad to see Denmark up there).

Best Original Score
The Hateful Eight
Sicario
Bridge of Spies
Carol
Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Best Original Song
"Writing's on the Wall" from Spectre
"Til It Happens to You" from The Hunting Ground
"Earned It" from Fifty Shades of Grey

Haven't Seen (Heard):
"Manta Ray" from Racing Extinction
"Simple Song #3" from Youth

Best Sound Editing (note: I don't really know what this entails)
The Revenant
The Martian
Sicario

Best Sound Mixing (note: I don't really know what this entails)
The Revenant
The Martian
Bridge of Spies

Best Production Design
The Revenant
The Martian
Bridge of Spies

Haven't Seen:
The Danish Girl

Best Cinematography
The Revenant
The Hateful Eight
Sicario
Carol

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
The Revenant

Haven't Seen:
The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared

Best Costume Design
The Revenant
Cinderella (Tied with Max)
Carol

Haven't Seen:
The Danish Girl

Best Film Editing
The Big Short
The Revenant
Spotlight

Best Visual Effects
The Revenant
Ex Machina
The Martian

Haven't seen any of the documentaries, short films, animated films, short documentaries or animated shorts. Expecting Amy and Inside Out to win their respective categories though. Highly interested in seeing Cartel Land.

~

So films up for major (big 8) awards I haven't seen:

45 Years
Creed
The Danish Girl
Inside Out (Animation)
Steve Jobs

45 Years looks interesting, must have missed it when it came out. I'll try and see it. Creed would be a good sit, but unfortunately it will be probably 6 months before I am able to watch it, but I am sure MBJ did great. Will never see The Danish Girl, Oscar noms or not. Might watch Inside Out because of the screenplay nom but I doubt it. No interest in Steve Jobs but might see it because of the major nominations. Then again I will probably hate it, and I don't want to hate a Fassbender film, and I already subjected myself to one horrible film for Oscar reasons this week."

_________

? Interestingly agreeable...in main part. ...Except for Matt.

* In red are my food for thought...no bias @ all...just what's onscreen.

Last edited:

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
OK...

Based on the fact that I have not seen many of the films and have been horribly and miserably wrong in previous years, I submit to you my semi-but-not-very-educated guesses for the main categories:

BEST PICTURE
The Big Short
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
The Martian
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
Matt Damon, The Martian
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Cate Blanchett, Carol
Brie Larson, Room
Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
Charlotte Rampling, 45 Years
Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Christian Bale, The Big Short
Tom Hardy, The Revenant
Mark Ruffalo, Spotlight
Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies
Sylvester Stallone, Creed

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
Rooney Mara, Carol
Rachel McAdams, Spotlight
Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl
Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
Anomalisa
Boy and the World
Inside Out
Shaun the Sheep Movie
When Marnie Was There

CINEMATOGRAPHY
Carol
The Hateful Eight
The Revenant, Emmanuel Lubezki
Sicario

DIRECTING
The Big Short
Mad Max: Fury Road, George Miller
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight

After all, this is who's doing the voting:

Screen Shot 2016-01-19 at 8.48.07 am.png

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I've seen the Spotlight yesterday night. What a great movie ! A strong contender as best picture IMO. So is Mark Ruffalo as Best Supporting Actor (a tie with Sly for me).

Still need to see The Big Short and Brooklyn.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I think Spotlight will end up winning the prize (and also picked up a nice SAG award as predicted).

all too early Oscar predictions:

Best Picture- Spotlight
Best Director- George Miller (Mad Max)
Best Actor- Leonardo Dicaprio (Revenant)
Best Actress- Brie Larson (Room)
Best Supporting Actor- Mark Rylance (Bridge of Spies)
Best Supporting Actress- Alicia Vikander (Danish Girl)

Steve Williams

You're close Keith. Wrong director however

Alejandro G. Iñárritu Is my choice. I've got mixed feelings about Best Picture. Torn between Spotlight and Revenant

Alicia Vikander is a stone fox and should win Best Supporting.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Best Picture is a race between Spotlight and the Big Short from what I'm hearing. Director is neck and neck, but all will be revealed at the DGAs this weekend...I think with Inarritu winning last year, plus the fondness for George Miller (and his first nomination), as well as an action film that didn't rely on CGI might sway some voters. But should be interesting!

Steve Williams

Well, Innaritu will likely win the Oscar after he picked up the DGA hardware. You were right, Doc.

I told you that you were close but no cigars Keith

That film IMO although difficult to watch was made under such adverse conditions for the same 90 minutes each day. The cinematography was mesmerizing and the feeling of being part of the action rather than looking at it from a distance is why I think he is a brilliant director and will win again this year

BTW, I don't agree with your pick for Best Supporting Actor as well

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I agree with you Steve...you are in best position to see clearly.

Everything I've read about 'The Revenant' points toward the real art of filmmaking. ...The director is brilliant, a true cinema artist.

'Mad Max: Fury Road' was also very entertaining in the artistic sense...different but fun @ the movies big time...so it'll take few statuettes I'm sure.

See you on the 28th...@ the Oscars night. :b

________

Oscar Sunday, February 28, 2016 88th Academy Awards begins 7 p.m. ET/ 4 p.m. PT

The 88th Academy Awards will be held at the Dolby Theatre® at Hollywood & Highland Center® in Hollywood, and will be televised live by the ABC Television Network. The Oscar presentation also will be televised live in more than 225 countries and territories worldwide.

Steve Williams

I agree with you Steve...you are in best position to see clearly.

Everything I've read about 'The Revenant' points toward the real art of filmmaking. ...The director is brilliant, a true cinema artist.

'Mad Max: Fury Road' was also very entertaining in the artistic sense...different but fun @ the movies big time...so it'll take few statuettes I'm sure.

See you on the 28th...@ the Oscars night. :b

________

Oscar Sunday, February 28, 2016 88th Academy Awards begins 7 p.m. ET/ 4 p.m. PT

The 88th Academy Awards will be held at the Dolby Theatre® at Hollywood & Highland Center® in Hollywood, and will be televised live by the ABC Television Network. The Oscar presentation also will be televised live in more than 225 countries and territories worldwide.

Bob

I wish I could cozy up with Mad Max but there seems to be a line where viewers either loved it or hated it. I really was in the latter I am sad to say

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I told you that you were close but no cigars Keith

That film IMO although difficult to watch was made under such adverse conditions for the same 90 minutes each day. The cinematography was mesmerizing and the feeling of being part of the action rather than looking at it from a distance is why I think he is a brilliant director and will win again this year

BTW, I don't agree with your pick for Best Supporting Actor as well

There is no doubt he did a terrific directing job. My thoughts on Miller were fairly unrelated, but I realize you didn't like that movie.

I think Supporting Actor is tough- can't help to think Stallone follows a trail of "popular" guys who win early, but lose late (like Rocky!). Reminds me of Mickey Rourke. I haven't seen Creed, so don't have a great opinion there. Of the rest, I thought Rylance was the best but it's clearly the most competitive category.

The Revenant probably pulled into the favorite spot as well for Best Picture after Saturday. We'll probably get a better idea after Bafta next weekend.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bob

I wish I could cozy up with Mad Max but there seems to be a line where viewers either loved it or hated it. I really was in the latter I am sad to say

I can understand Steve; it's like 'Birdman' (love/hate relationship), 'Under the Skin' (most hated it), 'The Hateful Eight' (most loved it), even 'ex_machina' (favorable on average, and then both extremes).
- Birdman - was fresh, new, fun, comical, ingenious, inventive, and yet some cannot stand it...absolutely not (me, I liked it...the drummer, and Keaton).
- Under the Skin - was hated by 99% of the people (me, I saw some redeeming values and artistic flair in it). ...Did you see it?
- The Hateful Eight - was loved by 90% of the people (me, I don't know yet...humorous violence disguised behind beautiful sceneries). ...You?
- ex_machina - has a very good average; new, fresh, ...(me, yeah, I liked it). ...I know you liked it too.

Films are moving art, so are paintings, sculptures...and the criteria we use are not the same as someone else.

I agree with you on 'The Revenant'. And if I mentioned Mad Max it's not for best film...but for great diversion (entertainment)...kids and old folks too...the vast majority loved it.
The stunts are funny, some lines, extreme exaggeration on chroma (colors), costumes, make-ups, lipstick of death, ...George Miller is pretty cool, and philosophical too, behind all that mayhem.
It's a totally different film with a totally different perspective...visuals and sound effects wise. ...And there are few messages too in it.

I'm afraid (way of speech) but you are in the minority as far as Mad Max is concerned. :b ...It's all good Steve; what I appreciate is your integrity, total honesty in your film critics. You're probably one of the most steady moviegoers here (cinema theaters); very experienced and it is illuminating the culture/evolution of films. You also live in the heart of the US movie industry.
Music and films are fun to listen, watch and even talk about. Without them there wouldn't be any gear to upgrade. Without LPs there wouldn't be turntables, and without hi-res music audio files we wouldn't get DACs specially made for them. ...No projectors to project films without filmmakers filming/directing them.

Look, I love 3D myself, and yet I'm the minority, and a very happy man deep deep down inside. So I know that you are too, without Mad Max.

The Revenant is bloody, so, many women will discard it...I know that for a fact. ...And same with The Hateful Eight, and Mad Max.
The voters @ the Academy they are numerous and from all movie background...men and women.

If we'll be voting only for intelligent films with a beneficial impact for all people; they'll be very little left. ...Spotlight, Brooklyn, Carol, ...maybe...what sez you?
Romances, are they still popular in the eyes of Academy voters? ...Is great cinematography with a full bloody screen of violence more impacting than a simple film like Spotlight but which talks to the core of the underground world we live in with a tremendous impact on our past, present and future generations? ...The holocaust. ...Stuff that changes the face of humanity with the most profound affectation.

The message, what is the cinema artistic impact with its message?

@ the end it's always good because we can discuss like adults about what we like more. ...And what we see as lesser in other films.
Yes, the respect of other's choices and their own set of criteria/evaluations. ...And it don't matter which film is the best because the best for one is the worst for somebody else.
The Academy voters have their own set of criteria when evaluating actor's performance, best picture film, best screenplay, best sound effects, best music score, best costumes, etc.

? My own personal prediction (no specific category), in overall number of statuettes going for a film and another:
'The Revenant' and 'Mad Max: Fury Road' will reap both the most.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing