Academy Awards Nominations 2016

andrew_stenhouse

Oct 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I lied Brooklyn - a very sweet movie. But agree perhaps filling out the nominations.

I also liked Trumbo, but wouldn't put it in the top tier - I felt Sicario was a better directed and acted movie. Benico Del Toro was outstanding in it. Have yet to see LDC's Reverent. Looking forward to it, although perhaps not the violence, which I abhor in movies.

I really enjoyed The Martian, although of course thought it got really silly toward the end. No wonder Matt Damon works with Ridley Scott. Great combination.

Carol? oh, yeah. Cate Blanket being Cate Blanket. Didn't grab me. Ok but not great. Charlotte Rampling was great, as always in 45. Eddie R. was superb in Danish Girl.

Overall this year we are sploit for choice.

And on a slightly sadder note - vale Alan Rickman, taken from us far too young at 69, died from cancer. A wonderful screen and stage actor and by account, a very decent human being to boot. I miss Severus. One of my all time great screen characters.
SnapeSeverus.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Two sad days in a row ...David and Alan...both 69. R.I.P.

Appropriate thread to mention...world entertainment...on-screen...on-speaker's corner.

* Cate Blanchett...she's a natural actress...by the way.

** Alan...Robin Hood...as the sheriff...best role ever...funny moments. ...Die Hard as 2nd best...serious...Bruce was the funny one in that one.

Man, do we live movies and music or what! ...And guys like Alan and David perfectly emblem that.

Last edited:

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I agree about Concussion but so also nothing for Woman in Gold and/or Hellen Mirren

Brooklyn IMO is definitely worthy of the nomination

For me The Martian was not worthy of a nomination.

Mad Max it seems one either loved it or hated it. Seems there are no shades of grey with it

I forgot about Woman in Gold. That was a good movie. Helen Mirren was excellent. She was also outstanding in Trumbo and played the villain role quite well.

Last edited:

andrew_stenhouse

Oct 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I forgot about Woman in Gold. That was a good movie. Helen Mirren was excellent. She was also outstanding in Trumbo and played the villain role quite well.

Did you ever see the interview Helen Mirrin gave to Michael Parkinson back in the 70's? She was quite the feisty one...mind you - the questions were so 1970's. You couldn't interview like that now.

In general, I find British actors/actresses represent the classic delivery when it comes to speech.

I'm not sure what you mean Bob - do you mean they use less vernacular? or that the roles tend to be more errr... 'of a time" ?

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Did you ever see the interview Helen Mirrin gave to Michael Parkinson back in the 70's? She was quite the feisty one...mind you - the questions were so 1970's.

? She was good also when younger, pretty...open and "feisty" indeed.

I'm not sure what you mean Bob - ?

? More sophisticated, generally, in their parle. The English writers and poets, I find, are classier.
...Like French people from France compared to French Canadians. ...The vocabulary, the words delivery, the rhythm. ...Again, generally/classical speaking.

Le langage, le vocabulaire, les compositions...et le choix des mots.

Europe is the continent of the artists/writers/music composers...

America is the continent of the filming industry/body language.

...In that perspective...kind of way.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Did you ever see the interview Helen Mirrin gave to Michael Parkinson back in the 70's? She was quite the feisty one...mind you - the questions were so 1970's. You couldn't interview like that now.

I'm not sure what you mean Bob - do you mean they use less vernacular? or that the roles tend to be more errr... 'of a time" ?

She was more than feisty in her early films where she had a few full frontal nudity scenes and is a true "stone fox"

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I disagree with you as it seems the Academy has an penchant for violent films. You don't have to go too far back when violent movies such as "Inglorious Bastards", "No Country For Old Men", "Eastern Promises", "There Will Be Blood", "A History of Violence", and "Django Unchained". They may not all win but they get nominated.

Sorry- to clarify I meant win, not nomination. Emotional hooks seem to win more often than not.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Steve Williams

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I saw the show last night and what fascinated me was Best Picture going to Spotlight which was my favorite number one before I saw The Revenant so if Spotlight wins the Oscar for Best Picture I could live with that choice as well as I loved the film

And Spotlight is the more important film of the two; socially/conscience speaking.

Leo (The Revenant) surely rose to the occasion by winning best actor Critic's Choice Award, and it coincides well so far with your prior prediction Steve.

* Mad Max: Fury Road should also do very well @ the Academy.

** Sylvester Stallone (Rocky Balboa) won his too (Creed), and looked real happy...good one Rocky!

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I saw the show last night and what fascinated me was Best Picture going to Spotlight which was my favorite number one before I saw The Revenant so if Spotlight wins the Oscar for Best Picture I could live with that choice as well as I loved the film

Out of the ~33 films I saw last year Spotlight was the only one I saw twice. First I went alone then again when my wife decided she did want to see it after all. If I was to use what I assume is the Academy's criteria for a Best Picture then I would choose Spotlight as the Best Picture. When I look back and choose my Favorite Movie for a year there is the added criteria "it must be enjoyable to watch". With that requirement my favorite movie was "Brooklyn" followed by "Sicario".

I tried watching Mad Max the other night and couldn't stand the first ten minutes.

Steve Williams

Jim

you and I have virtually identical tastes in movies. I think when I reviewed Sicario here there were many naysayers but I found the film gripping and the ending somewhat difficult to watch but it was excellent. Spotlight was also very difficult for many people to watch because of the subject matter

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Good post Jim.

* "Enjoyable" ... Mad Max was for me. :b ...That's an ACTION movie.

- Brooklyn I did not see, friends did and they enjoyed it.

- Sicario was good, it was satisfactorily 'impregnating/grabbing/impacting/hitting' on my right spots (tensed chords). ...Elastically speaking, and I would give its director a well deserved 'mention award'. ...Tougher to judge by sensitively inclined movie critics. ...But yes from me, Denis Villeneuve would get a golden statuette to put above his living room's glassed bookcase.

Last edited:

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Jim

you and I have virtually identical tastes in movies. I think when I reviewed Sicario here there were many naysayers but I found the film gripping and the ending somewhat difficult to watch but it was excellent. Spotlight was also very difficult for many people to watch because of the subject matter

Steve, I agree. We often enjoy the same movies.

I am not a movie snob. Although I lean towards the "artsy" and "foreign film" genre it doesn't mean I don't enjoy other offerings. I am not a big fan of "check your brain at the door" movies but when they are done like "Spy" or "Trainwreck" they are fun. There is the blockbuster genre where I enjoyed the new "Star Wars" and "Spectre" but neither was anything special. Then there are movies I would compare to white rice like the last "Jurassic Park" offering. After seeing it I felt I wasted a couple of hours. The action/suspense genre which would include "Sicario", "Bridge of Spies" and "The 33" . It is hard to categorize films such as "Trumbo", Big Short", "Steve Jobs", "Concussion", "Love and Mercy" but they were all well worth seeing.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing