Academy Awards Nominations 2016

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
nice to see some upsets this year :)

knew Mad Max would clean up in the technical awards.

Not only that but you were the only one to predict best supporting actor

We watched Mad Max again last night. I agree on all the technical awards but as a movie I just didn't get it

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Hey, Mad Max did not win for Best Picture, did not win for Best Cinematography, did not win for Best Director, did not win for Best Original Screenplay, did not win for Best Actor, did not win for Best Actress.

So Mad Max did not win @ all in the most important categories; it only won 6 Oscars in other secondary categories.

What are you guys complaining about?

Spotlight won the big one, and a 2nd big one. And The Revenant the next two big ones, and Leo finally got his. Everyone should be happy, I'm happy.
...Except for Brooklyn ?

Next...Oscars 2017 - Wish the Best...for cinema in 2016. :b

Last edited:

Andrew Stenhouse

Feb 14, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Mad Max has developed into an Australian icon for ? reason I have no idea. The original was dreadful and this latest effort no better. I wish George Millar would stick to his penguins.

If you want to watch a great piece of suspenseful Aussie drama watch "The Interview" with Hugo Weaving. It is compelling viewing - about a Police Interview that suddenly becomes something the Police didn't want or expect.

I was pleased Mark Rylance got best supporting actor. He is amazing. Catch him in Wolf Hall if you haven't seen it already. Oddly I liked the girl from the Danish Girl as well. Wasn't my cuppa but she gave a strong performance. Brooklyn was a sweet movie and probably should have picked up something. Glad Leo DiC finally got his gong. Brie Larson is usually very reliable so nice to see she got the nod - haven't seen "Room" yet. Any good?

Edit - I was sorry to see the Martian not getting something - good fun movie. I love Matt Damon in anything. Can't wait for him in the next Bourne. I liked Tom hanks in BoS but hey - he has a ton of oscars already.

Last edited:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If you saw 15 minutes, you saw the whole film. It was the same thing over and over and over again.

It's good I see this. I saw this before for about 15 minutes, and I didn't understand anything. With the film being nominated a lot, I wanted to watch it again but after reading your comments, I think I better now waste my time.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Leo finally gets his due. Much deserved for an amazing role in an amazing movie.

Am very happy to see him win too, Steve. Long overdue. Look at the standing ovation he got.

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
We will just have to agree to disagree! It is only a movie!:)

i agree with you joe, the only fury involved was mine, aimed at myself for sitting though it till the end..

i did like the female lead.. but the rest struck me as pointless, though that maybe the point:confused:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I must be in the minority but I really didn't like Mad Max at all.

It was horrible. Poor action scenes as well. I hardly liked any movie last year, anyway. Try watching A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, it was the best from last year. Iranian, directed in the US though.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
For those who may have missed Lady Gaga's emotional performance here is a clip.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Short Cinema essay ... very (short)

She reminded me of Annie Lennox...vocals...tones of emotion...

But it's the message...

_______

* As for Mad Mad: There is an apocalyptic philosophy behind the brain of George Miller, that you can see onscreen easily...when opening your eyes and ears.
But that's me...inside my own brain...entertainment with an edge. It's a sharp razor blade; some totally dig it, and "is it me who's crazy, or everyone else".

** For the heart, the romance: Brooklyn.

_______

Ennio Morricone was honored; very good.
Alejandro G. Inarritu was rewarded again this year...quite an accomplishment...and his speech about the color of the skin...stumbled a bit...with no direction home.
He's a very determined director, and pushed the envelope to the extreme with all his crew and actors, and main cinematographer. ...That, paid off...where it counts.
Leo had a speech well prepared, like he has been waiting for this moment all of his life.

We had a politician, a comedian, ...talking about rape, race, and others about greed, and more race, black, black, black, black, black...the tone was all black from the beginning to end inside a Hollywood B&W world. And the biggest winner was against the religion, and Mexico is on the map big big time, and walls are being erected above bridges. And the biggest loser was man himself against his own self. Make it looks appear that we care, because we do we do we do, and we love you all. We truly do, it's fantastic, it's beautiful, ...the natural beauty, the true human compassion, the no hiding behind our emotions, the gift of love...
The politics, the race card, the religion, the intolerance, the injustice, the greed, the wealth, the beautiful appearances, the cinema industry in Hollywood, the world cinema, the all ideas and ideologies and fun & humor about it all, and the seriousness too is a mix and shake inside a big bowl of entertainment for all.

Yes, films can be very powerful, very entertaining, very eye opening, very beautiful, and also very oppressing and demeaning and extremely violent in their content and messages.

The way we all perceive them (films, music, ...) is the way we see it. And the way we see it is not the way that all see it.
We make direct connections between films and reality and surrealism. It's just the way each of our brain function.
If I like blue, and he likes gold, ans she likes red, ...maybe the distance between black and white is not so large 'afterwise'.

It's life, it's cinema, it's our reality, it's the world we have chosen to live in with the planet that was offered to us way before man was put on it.
We're pro-creators of our own mirror images in a sea of deepness. We put our imagery onscreen for all to see, uncut, unedited, raw. ...Cinema verity.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing