Ron's Speaker, Turntable, Power and Room Treatment Upgrades

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It's Ron's thread. But since his room is not even close to complete, I just gonna brag him with pics of my room :p.

Tang :)

Great pictures, thanks for sharing! Can I ask you if the EMT shock absorber frame is an original or the modern custom made german version?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
as far as resolution getting in the way of the musical flow and connection, the amount of granular information should be recording dependent. ideally the room and system should not get in the way of the fundamental balance of the recording by over cooking any part, or undercooking any part. it should not add the same spice to every dish, add sugar to every dish, or apply a film of softness either. let it all through. of course; the 'all' has to be natural and tonally complete. the notes need to fully decay and have organic life and weight. the system has to be capable of portraying the most delicate and tiny detail to fully express all the different recordings correctly.

in photography there are portrait lenses which, while plenty detailed, have a softness and glow to the rendering which compliments and adds emotion and humanity.....they do some magic tricks with the light. I think there are methods with tube rolling or cartridge choices (or tt, or dac, or phono stage choices) which can bring that aspect of the music out more prominently when desired. but I would not choose that for my main lens. although some only use that. but I see it as a tool for a job. life is not soft and glowing all the time, and neither is the music. and for me, unless my system is first a truth machine, it can't really do the whole soft and glowing thing fully right either.

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Having read through all of the various posts, especially the recent ones from Folsom, I better understand the distinction people are making between resolution, detail, and how volume effects them. I also appreciate the emphasis on the Fundamental’s role in the importance of conveying the music’s emotional message and how false or enhanced details may distract one from that message.

Where this breaks down for me, and why I think that perhaps the opposing views may be sliding past each other, is in my recollection of how I hear small scale live music performances from a close up perspective and then how that is similar or not with what I have experienced in superior halls with large scale performances.

A year or so ago I attended a live chamber performance with some WBF members in Boston. We heard a violinist and a cellist perform in a large formal living room setting. A year prior to this, I heard the same cellist accompanied by a pianist. More than anything else, what strikes me about these two performances is the sheer energy that filled the room when the instruments were played. We sat roughly 15’ away. There were about twenty five people in the room. The volume and sound resonating into the room when the keys were struck or the strings were bowed was overwhelming. The amount of detail in that sound, the texture of the bow against the strings and the cello body and soundboard vibrating is something I will never forget.

A few years prior to this I spent five days sitting at the edge of the orchestra pit listening to rehearsals at the Vienna State Opera. A huge space, silent with only the singers, musicians and conductor, I could hear a pin drop on the stage floor. I heard people shuffling back stage, the pages being flipped at the podium. I heard that same energy from a solo cello during a passage. Then later during the evenings, I sat in the Director’s box seat in the second balcony way in the back of that great hall listening to different final performances. Again, I was struck by the details I heard on the stage. Though now, it was not a page being turned, or the concert master breathing, but a single triangle strike ringing and decaying in space, the low rumble of timpani, the individual voices as they sang in unison. Quiet sounds, projected beautifully long distances in that great hall.

The listening perspective had changed, the audible details changed, but the clarity and amount of sheer information remained extremely high from both seating positions. This change is possible because I moved. What is captured by the microphone and embedded in the grooves is fixed. That information is there for us to hear in as natural, undistorted and honest way as possible.

I don’t know if the energy released by the bow agitating the strings of a cello is the essence of the sound or a detail, but that friction, that texture followed by the resonating wood creating a rich tapestry of harmonics, color, tone, expression whatever you want to call it. That is detail. Can the music’s emotional message be conveyed without it? Perhaps, but if that sound can not be fully captured in a recording and then fully reproduced by an audio system, the experience of listening to it will not be as fulfilling, at least to me. And it will not be a convincing recreation of the way that instrument sounds live.

I can be emotionally move by listening to an old favorite Deep Purple song on my truck radio or CD player. It congers up memories and I can be lost in the moment and music. But that is not about resolution, let alone detail. It is not about believability. It is pure memory and emotion. I want something different, more immersive, more rich, and more lifelike when listening to my stereo, Deep Purple, Shirley Horn or Beethoven’s Violin Concerto.

Once heard and experienced, I want to recreate that energy of a live cello heard up close from my system in my living room. If it is close mic’d with breathing, I want to hear as much of that as possible. If it is from a further back perspective, I want to hear that. We can debate what are details, what is the fundamental, and what is the musical message. I want the full experience of what I hear in an intimate setting or one of the worlds great concert halls recreated in my room. I am surely not going to get it though my audio system in all of its glory, but that is the goal, for me. Compromises certainly exist, but to purposefully avoid gear which is “even more resolving at the frequency extremes” does not really make sense to me. I agree that gear that emphasizes certain frequencies to enhance false details should be avoided. That is not true to the recording or to the live experience.

Sure, I did not hear the conductor breathing or the pages being turned from way up back in the director’s seat, but I surely heard it from the edge of the orchestra pit. And if the mics pick it up and it remains on the recording, I want to hear it in as natural and convincing a way as I hear it live. When I hear Starker breathing during the Bach Cello Suites or Buddy Guy’s fingers plucking those strings on Folk Singer, those are the details that bring them to life in my living room. I heard the breathing and finger playing at the chamber performance in Boston, and I want to hear it in my home if it is on the recording and adds to the experience. Now, if only I could hear the instruments’ incredible energy too, in all of its colorful, nuanced, expressive richness, and sheer unadulterated volume and clarity from my system. Then, I would be making some real progress.

As this is Ron’s thread about his new system, it sure seems that the Gryphon Pendragon and American Sound AS2000 will be steps in that high resolution direction. They must certainly be components capable of reproducing any detail captured on a recording, even those at “frequency extremes”. Otherwise, why go to the effort and spend that kind of money? I suspect Ron wants high resolution portrayed in a natural and convincing way. The discussion seems to be about how much detail is needed for the sound to seem natural and convincing. Or maybe, this is really about our understanding of how the quality of sound effects our appreciation of the music.

Great post, Peter, I agree with your perspective and how we experienced those live sounds in Boston.

Indeed, if you are not interested in ultimate resolution of all the detail -- in a natural way, congruent with live experiences -- why even spend all that money? If detail is presented the right way, it will not detract from but enhance the listening experience and pleasure.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think/hope we all aim for Leica glass :D uncoloured /unobstructed
Whether one has succeeded is hard to judge or can be given a classificationnumber , listening pleasure is by far the most important thing imo , all else comes second , call it the car radio / deep purple thing or what ever .
A good system can portray it in a large scale and more tonally accurate

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Peter I like your post. I think maybe even Ron could agree with that.

We might designate for the recording process, one experience would be usually chamber music mic distance, and the other orchestral. I'm sure you noticed that you didn't hear pages turning if certain instruments were blasting loud, but during quiet passages you could.

I don't think that what you like is heightened detail, because character of instrument is integral to the sound fundamental. Resolution helps here. But if detail is heightened, say with violin, you can get an obscure over-definition of shape that is unnatural, compressed dynamics of volume, and a little too much detail into the string movement. That isn't necessarily easy to describe, because in person the strings have a lot of character playing their notes, but not as obvious at the start and end.

Sadly from a recording perspective it's not easy to get that kind of experience into a medium. Live events of orchestras is just hard as hell to replicate. So you need to go see live music too!

Ron is very close. I mean, wait... maybe if he had amplifiers :p It only takes a week or so to do drywall and painting.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think the more detail the better , just more resolution why would that be obstructive to the performance .
With the piano master tape recordings done with the b 62 , I can literally hear chairs moving , people coughing and what not , probably so because of mike placement , does it ruin the performance I don't think so .
Large scale orchestra can be done why not , just not with small speakers which have limited bandwith and membrane surface

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Maybe it would be better to say the character of the detail can be distracting. There is a difference between hearing, especially if you're trying to, and the sensation similar to a 3D movie where it just reaches out and is all in your face. Granted that analogy isn't accurate to the feeling, since it is usually somewhat soft in nature, but the sense of something being too much is the point.

You know that engineers throughout the production team don't sit around discuss how much detail they can pull out, unless it's Mobile Fidelity... But if the musician or producer feels like part of the experience is hearing chairs and shuffling, they'll make sure it's there and whatever artistic level they feel is important.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Then the glass ( the speaker) isn't neutral , it then adds what mike pointed out the same sauce to every recording.

Ps the B62 belonged to an amateur recording engineer , so where he had or was allowed to have his mikes I don't know , maybe he just sat somewhere in the audience with his recorder .;)

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
PS I forgot to mention room interference which adds its own sauce , which mike did include .
My room interferes , but since I'm primarily interested in speakerdesign its not my first priority , I'm anxious to see what kind of room ron (co)designs

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Great post, Peter, I agree with your perspective and how we experienced those live sounds in Boston.

Indeed, if you are not interested in ultimate resolution of all the detail -- in a natural way, congruent with live experiences -- why even spend all that money? If detail is presented the right way, it will not detract from but enhance the listening experience and pleasure.

+1

Two great posts.

As I said before, if your system cannot delineate the little details that make the sound of a real 'live' instrument, then you are leaving something behind, at least IMHO. That something is paramount to being part of the illusion of creating sound in the home environment. Resolution, at least to me- means exactly that...the ability to resolve detail. It does NOT mean the ability to bring artificial detail, distortion or any other artifact that interferes with the illusion of the 'real' being reproduced. OTOH, if a highly resolving piece of gear brings to the fore a problem upstream, or for that matter downstream, is this a piece of gear to be avoided??? I don't think so. It simply means that another link in the chain needs to be replaced.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Me too, though I won't give up the mooks

Me either for the moment:)--I saving up to try Steves Footers in comparison.Only one item I won't sell--with no TT's for the moment it's serving as a Talisman on my Player:cool:

BruceD

Mook1.jpg

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
As I said before, if your system cannot delineate the little details that make the sound of a real 'live' instrument, then you are leaving something behind, at least IMHO. That something is paramount to being part of the illusion of creating sound in the home environment. Resolution, at least to me- means exactly that...the ability to resolve detail. It does NOT mean the ability to bring artificial detail, distortion or any other artifact that interferes with the illusion of the 'real' being reproduced. OTOH, if a highly resolving piece of gear brings to the fore a problem upstream, or for that matter downstream, is this a piece of gear to be avoided??? I don't think so. It simply means that another link in the chain needs to be replaced.

Well said, agree on all counts.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Folsom, I am not close at all. The whole house looks like the listening room.

It will be at least six more months before I can even begin to think about planning to install equipment.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
:eek:.Yeeez Ron, I know in my line of work if we have a house under construction as long as yours, we usually have a very unhappy customer...
When we have done spec (speculation) homes in the past, if we had a project draw out as long as yours, we would have gone broke!
Just saying.....:cool:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
:eek:.Yeeez Ron, I know in my line of work if we have a house under construction as long as yours, we usually have a very unhappy customer...
When we have done spec (speculation) homes in the past, if we had a project draw out as long as yours, we would have gone broke!

Well with hourly change orders....:p

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

I wish it were construction. This is obviously not my field but I understand that new construction often is easier and faster than repair/replace/rebuild.

The project is mostly destruction and then repair/replace/rebuild. The below grade excavation and re-waterproofing of the retaining wall (23' below street level, 120' long) commenced four years ago.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Well with hourly change orders....:p

From my own project management work I knew very well that the worst thing we could do is to make material changes or add sub-projects after we signed the original construction contract and agreed on a project and parts list.

So halfway through we decided to re-do completely the entire kitchen (whereas originally we decided we would not touch the kitchen).

Then I realized that extending slightly the length of a toilet area in the master bathroom could facilitate a wholesale renovation of the master bathroom and closet into separate, his and hers, bathrooms and closets.

Then we decided to add a 7' X 7' skylight to the master bedroom ceiling (necessitating, of course, a re-work and reframing of the roof and a re-routing of all electrical and HVAC ducts).

Then we decided to hire a water feature designer to custom design a unique water feature for a platform area outside the entryway.

Then we decided to renovate the entire rear deck with a fire pit area.

Then we decided to graft in a video intercom system and remote control of everything with an Elan system.

Then we decided to divide the equipment room for the stereo into a home theater area.

Then we decided to re-do the entire fireplace wall in the living room with the same stone veneer we are employing on parts of the exterior.

Then we decided to replace the fireplace with the largest gas fireplace available from Flare Fireplace (the "Ferrari" of fireplaces), an Israeli company: 102" long and 30" tall. Of course this occasioned replacement of the fireplace venting system.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Great pictures, thanks for sharing! Can I ask you if the EMT shock absorber frame is an original or the modern custom made german version?

Not an original. It is a modern German version. I am not using it for vibration mgt purpose. I use it so that I have a structure to attach a second armbase in the rear and also to cover up the ugly bare steel frame of the 927 itself.

Tang

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes, Mike, it does explain a lot! :D

But the first three years of below grade work was not my fault.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing