A legend is gone

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
Harry Pearson passed away last evening at his home in Sea Cliff. My condolences to his family and many friends.

Thank you Mr. Pearson for your many contributions to this hobby we love. May you slumber in peace.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I still have the post card Harry wrote to me inviting me to be a TAS reviewer (in the late 80s). It was as if god himself had reached out to me. Rest in peace, HP. Thank you for this wonderful industry.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Very sad...I really loved his magazine...especially when it was in the smaller format and Harry ran it his way...

Ozzy

Nov 4, 2014
R.I.P. Harry. A true icon for sure.

Oz

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Like many of you, I was introduced to the Hi End by Harry through TAS. Bought my first issue (Number 6, IIRC) back in the mid-late 70's and it started me with my first hi end purchase, a pair of Magnepan 2167-F speakers, the predecessors to the MG II's. It also started me on a quest to collect the TAS Super Discs, which took me almost 30 years to complete (all 600 discs!). Harry sent me a couple of notes over the years, and I even got mentioned in TAS. It was, like Peter said, being touched by God.

Thanks, Harry.

Larry

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
RIP and thank you for helping shape this industry in meaningful ways!

esldude

Yes, TAS was something different when Harry ran the whole thing in the small format. Sometimes you even got 4 issues a year. Whether you agreed or not it was his and his staff's ideas. Liked the personal touch of him including a photo he had taken on the back cover each issue.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Sad news.

I own the whole paper collection of TAS since issue 1 and his brilliant essays on high-end are still one of my preferred sources of audio knowledge.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Some people have such a profound influence on an aspect of life that it is hard to fully appreciate their impact because it is so fundamental that almost all related areas are affected. In the worlds of audio and music appreciation Harry Pearson was a true sea change that repeatedly reminded us that audio should be about music appreciation and not equipment, brands, watts or technology.

I had the privilege of visiting Sea Cliff on a number of occasions and listening to music with Harry for hours and talking even longer. These extended contacts helped me see a side of Harry that was only partially visible in his writings.

He was man who was devoted to his core beliefs, even at the expense of commercial success. As we talked about his ouster from the magazine he saw as a child and us audiophiles and music lovers loved so much, The Absolute Sound, the very soft and passionate side of Harry was undeniable. Most of us would have been angry, but Harry focused on trying to find a new vehicle to share his musical and audio passions.

Harry was driven by life and the emotions that it can provide to those of us who are receptive. Through his writings he tried to share his personal experiences, especially those driven by music.

The world of audio has truly lost one of its most important driving forces. We owe it to Harry to remember that it is about the music and not the equipment.

Moblusman, in the middle 1970s I was chairman at Stony Brook and was at a stereo shop in Stony Brook picking up my Audio Research SP-6, one of two they had received and the first production of that unit. I was about to leave when I heard one own saying that they had already sold one of the two and that they had to keep the other. That owner said that he would call Johnson to see whether they could get another unit. I was curious and stayed to hear this conversation. Johnson apparently ask why as two had just be received. When told that HP wanted to review one, Johnson apparently said absolutely not. What followed was a conference call between HP, Johnson, and the owner. Johnson was pissed about HP's correct review of the first ss ARC preamp, and HP had to say that the review of the SP-6 would be favorable. With that Johnson said that yes a third unit would be sent on Monday. HP said he needed it today and asked the owner whether the buyer of the SP-6 might drive it down to him and leave it for several weeks. I said absolutely not. When told this, HP raged that I must not know who he was. I thought that was outrageous and left.

I agree that he was important to early high end audio, but he was also imperious.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Moblusman, in the middle 1970s I was chairman at Stony Brook and was at a stereo shop in Stony Brook picking up my Audio Research SP-6, one of two they had received and the first production of that unit. I was about to leave when I heard one own saying that they had already sold one of the two and that they had to keep the other. That owner said that he would call Johnson to see whether they could get another unit. I was curious and stayed to hear this conversation. Johnson apparently ask why as two had just be received. When told that HP wanted to review one, Johnson apparently said absolutely not. What followed was a conference call between HP, Johnson, and the owner. Johnson was pissed about HP's correct review of the first ss ARC preamp, and HP had to say that the review of the SP-6 would be favorable. With that Johnson said that yes a third unit would be sent on Monday. HP said he needed it today and asked the owner whether the buyer of the SP-6 might drive it down to him and leave it for several weeks. I said absolutely not. When told this, HP raged that I must not know who he was. I thought that was outrageous and left.

I agree that he was important to early high end audio, but he was also imperious.

Hello Sir,
I was wondering what you name is since I owned that store back then. This sounds like a story that only my ex partner could have gotten involved in. I know that it wasn't me. I did arrange and personally bring Harry a preamp and he and I became friends from that first encounter.
Thanks,
Elliot Goldman

Elliot. I am Norm Luttbeg. I thought both you and Sandy were present, but maybe not. I also left after being asked to bring my new unit to him. I may have heard before I left that Johnson had agreed to send a third unit to you. All that I know is that this left a sour taste for me.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Elliot. I am Norm Luttbeg. I thought both you and Sandy were present, but maybe not. I also left after being asked to bring my new unit to him. I may have heard before I left that Johnson had agreed to send a third unit to you. All that I know is that this left a sour taste for me.
Hello Norm,
It was a really longtime ago but I cant possibly think I would ever ask a customer to take his unit to someone else.
I really dont remember this event , that is not to say it didn't happen since it was over 30 years ago. I do know I personally went to see Harry with the SP-6 along with Sandy and that was the first time I ever met him.
It was the start of a very long and winding road friendship that had its ups and downs.
I must say your name sounds familiar but I am an old man now and turn 65 tomorrow. I do hope that you are well and that you still enjoy music
Peace,
Elliot

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing