The Gospel according to Andrew Lloyd Webber

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
This is the time of year that I play my original early British pressing of Jesus Christ Superstar. Ian Gillan singing "Gethsemane" and Yvonne Eliman singing "I Don't Know How to Love Him" make me completely forget the system and the audio hobby and allow me to just bask in the glories of great music.

photo 3.jpg

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I never saw that version before. Is it the same as the American release just made in Britain?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I never saw that version before. Is it the same as the American release just made in Britain?

I'm not sure. I have two British pressings. One opens as a gatefold and the other has four flaps on the back with reflective silver on the insides. I think the latter is the original. I don't know if the US version is remixed or remastered or just reissued later. I think the sonics are best on the earlier British pressings.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I'm not sure. I have two British pressings. One opens as a gatefold and the other has four flaps on the back with reflective silver on the insides. I think the latter is the original. I don't know if the US version is remixed or remastered or just reissued later. I think the sonics are best on the earlier British pressings.

If I remember correctly, this LP was first released in the very early 1970s and the American version had a brown cover. I'm sure this LP was released simultaneously in both the US and UK so I don't know why the American version would have been remixed/remastered.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Happy Easter Mark and Peter, my saint named friends :)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I adore this music. I have the brown cover and didn't know there was a cover like the one Peter is showing.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Happy Easter Mark and Peter, my saint named friends :)

Thanks Jack! Sorry I didn't see this until today. I hope you had a great Easter.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I adore this music. I have the brown cover and didn't know there was a cover like the one Peter is showing.

This music would have to land in my top ten list of best rock/pop albums of all time. And Ian Gillian's vocal performance is just stunning throughout. Not good mastering on the CD I have, unfortunately. Perhaps there's a better one out there.

Happy Easter everyone!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Wow, that music is insanely good, even better than I had thought. I just listened to some of it again, and some of the sounds are sophisticated, and chilling too (like the first guitar entrance or the quiet entrance of choir in the Overture). The recording is also more easy to listen to sonically than last time a few years ago when my system was not yet as good. The voices are often quite 'essy', but this is not always the case, and there is no general treble tilt. This points to problems on the mastertape itself, not problems with CD remastering -- except that they didn't try to improve things. On the LP the voices probably are less 'essy', but that would be for the mundane technical reason that voices must be de-essed for LP, not because voices would sound inherently better on the LP medium.

There are audiophile CDs of the album, where they may have taken more care trying to actually improve things; I might want to try one of those since the music is so good. As for the lyrics, it is, among others, interesting to hear the story of Jesus through Judas's perception.

The album cover that Peter shows is the one that I remember from my childhood in Germany.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I listened to my LP too. Many thanks to my audio forum friend who, from abroad, gave it to me many years ago. You know who you are buddy!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Two highlights for me: Ian Gillan, before he was known for Deep Purple, singing "Gethsemane" and Yvonne Elliman singing "I Don't Know how to Love Him". One of my copies (MCA (UK) MKPS 2011/2) includes a large format insert with all of the lyrics and photos of the actors.

The sonics on my British pressing are incredible. I will have to compare it to the US release with the brown cover, which I also have. Al M., I'll have you over to listen so that you can judge the quality compared to your digital version.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I was wondering if the '73 movie's soundtrack was ever released. According to Wiki, it was indeed released on vinyl. Has anybody ever seen a copy? I grew up watching the movie so that has always been my reference (Ted Neely) albeit I do love the original cast recording. Mine is a US brown jacket.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I have a copy but it's in a box in the basement. I think it had a blue'ish cover but am not sure; been a long, long time. Amazon had a special recently so I bought the bluray of the movie (have not played it yet). IIRC for me the recording (vinyl; I have a CD, somewhere, but haven't played it either) was much higher quality, both the singers/musicians and the recording itself, than I anticipated.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
The sonics on my British pressing are incredible. I will have to compare it to the US release with the brown cover, which I also have. Al M., I'll have you over to listen so that you can judge the quality compared to your digital version.

I look forward to that, Peter. I guess I'll soon order one of those audiophile CDs of the music, which hopefully is much better than what I currently have.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I look forward to that, Peter. I guess I'll soon order one of those audiophile CDs of the music, which hopefully is much better than what I currently have.

A couple years ago I did some research on finding a good CD mastering of this and bought a remaster that had good reviews. I find it pretty good. I can dig it up and bring it by if you like...

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
A couple years ago I did some research on finding a good CD mastering of this and bought a remaster that had good reviews. I find it pretty good. I can dig it up and bring it by if you like...

Yes, please!

Thanks
Al

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I've got two British pressings, MCA and MCA-UK, both MKPS 2011/2 (MAPS 2075/6). The former is a gatefold with booklet and blue record label and the latter is the wild star flaps on the back with silver foil lining and a yellow record label. They have identical front cover art. I think the sonics are slightly better on the gatefold version. The strange thing is that the two pressings have different optimal VTA settings, even though the LPs appear to be the same thickness. This leads me to think that they are perhaps made from different lacquers.

The sonics are excellent. For instance, on side 3, first cut, "The Last Supper", near the end, the twelve disciples leave the table and exit to the right singing in unison. Then they turn, moving further back on stage and loop around to the far left, still singing. It is an incredible spacial effect which is slightly more pronounced and clear in the gatefold and I don't even remember ever hearing it on the US Brown cover version, but I would have to check to make sure as my system has improved since I listened to that version.

Al, do you hear this on your CD? I also thought about your earlier comment about some of the chorus being difficult to understand. It is all pretty clear on the British LPs and some of the solo vocals are startlingly present.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
The Lloyd Webber and Time Rice compositions and shows are great.
I never saw Jesus Christ Superstar but saw the Lonson West End productions of Hair, Starlight Express and Phamtom of the Opera which were a real treat in their different ways. Hair of course was quite a sensation with its public nudity!
I don't have any vinyl of their but have had for some years and play quite regularly a CD The Premier Collection of 14 tracks including Julie Covington's original version of Don't Cry for Me Argentina and others including Michael Crawford. Elaine Paige and Sara Brightman.
I have not heard much about Andrew LW lately but Tim Rice is still very much keeping busy. He did a fascinating series about a couple of years ago for BBC Radio comprising an hour to each of the inidividual states of the USA with a fascinating mixture of music and information about each state including the official state song which was interesting to say the least. He was on the radio the other day and he is writing the lyrics for a new Disney film.
A clear example of the durability and continuing appeal of good music.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing