New Reel to Reel Software Sources from UHA

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
I would like to say some specialities of our recording, first we use high out put tape in recording by modified hybrid tube recorder, in the age of tube recorder there only got tapes for 250nwb/m recording were the highest ,till 1990 high out put tape came out but at that time all recorder were with transistor amp already, today we use tube amp for 396nwb/m master recording also same in copies, 2) mic-preamp we use direct heating triode (WE300B) for out put, because of noise problem none of this kind of tube in use of mic-preamp before , 3) 50' long 4N silver mic cable home made because there are no such product in market , 4) Studer A80RC is one of the best recorder in the world but they designed for editing of convenience , then too much contacts and too long of signal path,so it was modified to most direct and shorter even the fast and slow speed selector transistors had been bypassed for fix to 15ips only, 5) Roger the former Studer serviceman take care our heads and transports before every recordings, 6) for hall effect we luckily found a 6000 sq feet indoor swimming pool with celing of two storge high, pool has to be filled with water then sound good, 7) Ed Pong the producer also diy of strings instrument so he know instrument's sound well and he has good connection to those young preformers who had won some international competitions, with good skill and good sound instruments plus special recording system then a good master tape can be done
tony ma

Nice write up on how the recordings are made, Tony.

I'd like to see the schematics of all of your mod work (if you can share it with the world!)

I know you and Ed's been building the excitements by telling me how scarily good the original master tapes sound played through the very same A80RC in your place... I think I am getting pretty close sound playing them through my A820 with lowly solid-state electronics... ;-)

I plan to take the tapes to Mike Lavigne when I visit him one day next week and also invite local tapeheads for the taste of real music at my house soon.

Kudos to you and Ed one more time for giving us another analog tape music source with highest quality sonic.

Thanks,

Ki

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Ki,

Can I come?

Bruce in PA

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi Ki
There are no secret of my tube amp design ( I show my A810 with tube before but that was not good enough because that was first try), my concept of good tube circuit is as simple as posible, the basic common cathode with a transformer is the best only depend how the quality of the parts, I can share my design no problem but the tube and transformer which I used is very high price today, like the mic preamp, pair WE437A and WE300B pluse 6 pcs silver wound transformer and other parts togetter cost over more than 20K parts only, and the pair of WE300B were picked from more than 15 pcs, because of noise, in record amp's mod pair of 6900 ($250 each) and 6 silver transformers and repro pair WE437A ( $750 each)two silver transformers (2.5K each) too. power supply is in different story, more is better, I try to let each tube has its own supply will be the best, of cause also with tube rectifiers and chokes, the way of mod in A80RC's rec and repro is to keep the EQ and alignment in original ( I believe they are best for it's machine and also it is not linear amp) and I change the in put or out put linear amp into tube circuit only. actually everyone can design for their own mods depend what kind of tube and transformer which they can get only need to work out the in-out put impedance match to the stock. budget has to be match to the their transport and heads, maybe add extra preamp outside from head is more simple
last week a A810 (with fully serviced by Roger new heads and bearings)on sell with stock amp, Ed asked group of friends come to listen for they will be interested showed by our master tape, but he thought to let they know still can be improved by modification , so he put A80 with tube in after, result no one will go for A810, I can't telling the different in English or even in my own mother language, you have to feel it by youself the transparency the dynamic reange etc. that makes not to go back to A810 again
tony ma

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Hi Tony:

You are generous to share your ideas on how you have improved the electronics in the A80RC Mk II. I realize it would not be practical to mimic what you have done with special silver transformers and things but as a student of tape related electronics, I would like to know if you can send me the schematics via email.

If possible, my email address is on the forum profile.

Thanks,
Ki

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi Ki
Yes I can but I think I have to send by mail because I don't know how to send drawing by email, ( my computer knowledge is very poor ) and what would you like to have ? addition tube amps for both rec and repro only or plus what had been changed of those original remain stage, and plus power supply for tube circuit too ? I have to print out the original schematices first to show how and where to cut and link so will take a while, can you send me your home address by my email or PM in here
tony

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Again Tony, the most significant sonic difference I hear playing your tape was sheer transparency. Since I don't have your full 20hz - 20Khz sweep of the A80 and its tube electronics, I don't know how flat its responses are in the 8K - to 12K region (that make a big difference in my opinion). But even without the data, the UA tapes sound like "looking" through a window for music without the glass... to my ears.

I may sound like the late Ray Charles promoting the Pioneer Laser Disc system and commenting how its colors are so brilliant in the old TV ads (one of my all time favorite commercials)... but it is truly refreshing to hear the original analog tape recordings done correctly on properly working Studer A80 with custom tube electronics than other tape sources we are used to hearing.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Ki
More old A80's problem fix tips for you, we found one channel only started to drop 3 db from 10K, but not the other channel in recording, switched broad still the same channel, head aligment doesn't fix it, finally was the cable to head, after replaced with a silver wire (awg30 thin 4N silver for both rec and repro, because not too long will not cost too much ) fixed and got sound improved too, but lot of works in replacing, old caps in monitor amp create some noise too even the volume off after to remove the amp broad can have a more quite background in copies, locked to 15 ips only and by passed those switching transister can fix those abnormal noise, We used tube to record master tape long time before we have tube repro amp ready, reason for not to make copy at that time because the repro stock sound's transparency was not good enough so the copy from their will getting worst and worst than master ( maybe the same level of most other tape copies out there I guess), but after the tube repro was done then the lost of transparency can be down to minium, even copy from the first copy still super ( we did compare to the master too it is not down too much ) is the tape you are listening now, if you can mod your A80 repro to tube as the way of mine, you will be surprised again in transparency
tony ma

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Ki
if you can mod your A80 repro to tube as the way of mine, you will be surprised again in transparency
tony ma

Well, that's the goal for me to convert one of the A80RCs into a tube repro unit that matches (or get as close as possible) to your A80's repro section. ;-)

Thanks,
Ki

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
More Master Tapes / More Exposure for R2R

On the original topic...
New Reel to Reel Software Sources from UHA

EVENT NOTICE: United Home Audio will host a new R2R Recording Release Open House May 5 and May 12 from Noon till 5pm.

This Open House will feature the new Opus 3 sampler tape that Jan-Eric has now listed on his web site for sale (track listing below), you will want to hear this tape.
Also you may want to have a look at the Opus 3 web site Jan-Eric has started listing some of his R2R tapes on the site for sale.

http://www.opus3records.com/am_list.html

”One” Open Reel Selection of Opus 3 Analogue Recordings

1. Here´s That Rainy Day (Jimmy van Heusen) 4´14

2. Teach Me Tonight (M. Gene de Paul) 3´53

3. Black Beauty (D. Ellington) 4´38
From ”A Selection from Tomas Örnberg´s BLUE FIVE & The Swedish Jazz Kings”, SACD 22101 / CD 8003*

4. Where The Green Grass Grows (Excerpt) (Eric Bibb) 3´54

5. Vaquero (Excerpt) (G. Wennerbrandt – O. Eriksson) 3´53

6. La Maja de Goya (E. Granados)
Stockholm Guitar Quartet, ”A Selection from...., SACD 22062 / CD 7810* 3´20

7. Nun komm der Heiden Heiland... (Excerpt) (J.S. Bach)
The Erik Westberg Vocal Ensemble & Mattias Wager: Organ, SACD19516 3´02

8. Scherzo from Symphony No.2 in D Major (L. van Beethoven) 3´36

9. Overture to Carmen (G. Bizet) 2´16

Total playing time: 33´20
1 st 10,5” metal reel
Play back EQ: IEC/CCIR (35uS)
2-track, 38 cm/s
* Catalogue number of the original album.

I may also have "one" tape selection of those albums listed on the web site by show time in May. That is if i can figure out which one tape to order (they all look good), if anyone has suggestions for my one tape please post your idea.

International Phonographic Inc.
http://internationalphonographinc.com/
I am also working with Jonathan Horowich to get his library of Jazz Master Tapes ready and released. I am hopeful that all this will be accomplished before May 5 and that Jonathan will be at the show on that date in person with final tapes in hand for demo.
I will keep you posted on that progress.

I am currently working with another group that has a fairly large Master Tape library. As I look through their library most of it is country, however there is Jazz and rock in there so I continue to muddle through it all. If anyone is interested in this kind of info I'll keep you posted.

MORE EXPOSURE:
For R2R to have any interest to the average high end audio guys that are into vinyl, or even high resolution digital, will require more Master Tape music available, but you all know that. The other thing that has to happen is people need to hear it! After all that's what grabbed your attention, right? With the new regional high end audio shows I, (and all the other R2R exhibitors) are attempting to get more people to hear R2R, I am doing 4 shows this year, shows are expensive but are the best way to get more exposure.
1.) CES at THE Show: This was a great show!
2.) THE Show Newport: A great show last year!
3.) The Capital Audiofest: Rockville Maryland, this is the 3rd year for the show if you live in the Baltimore Washington DC area don't miss it!
4.) Rocky Mountain Audiofest

Look for me at these shows and please stop by to say hi, getting more exposure for R2R is a process, any help that you guys can offer is important.
I have some reviews that will be coming out this year in The Absolute Sound and on some High End Audio web sites, so look for that exposure.
So far I have been fortunate to receive an 'Audio Oasis Award' from Positive Feedback Online for RMAF 2011, also a 'Golden Ear Award 2010' as well as a 'Editors Choice Award 2012' from The Absolute Sound.
Exposure and more press in the main stream media is what will drive this R2R tape movement to more buyers, no matter what tape deck you own you still want more music on tape and at a lower price, am I right?
Things seem to be moving in a more positive way, I am selling tape decks and you can see that more companies are getting into releasing Master Tape copies. I can also tell you that when I talk to a recording company about selling Master Tape copies, THEY HAVE STOPPED HANGING UP ON ME, THEY ARE AT LEAST LISTENING!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Same here, but mine is still not 100%...I am a man of faith! :)

Wow! I spent $600 to buy an unused $8500 tape deck that works perfect. IEC and NAB at the flip of a switch. It packs tape so perfect it looks like a sheet of glass when you scan across the reel with your eyeballs. I consider myself very lucky on that deal.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
...Exposure and more press in the main stream media is what will drive this R2R tape movement to more buyers, no matter what tape deck you own you still want more music on tape and at a lower price, am I right?
Things seem to be moving in a more positive way, I am selling tape decks and you can see that more companies are getting into releasing Master Tape copies. I can also tell you that when I talk to a recording company about selling Master Tape copies, THEY HAVE STOPPED HANGING UP ON ME, THEY ARE AT LEAST LISTENING!

Hi Greg and welcome to the site. I've followed your efforts over the last few months after talking with Mike Allen on the phone one afternoon about a problem I was having with a Jolida amp. The conversation sort of meandered to tape and UHA came up. Your descriptions had a big effect on my own thinking and it's in large part the reason that I bought a BR-20 (totally stock of course) for my own home use. The idea had occured to me that one day I might reach out to you about wringing a bit more performance out of this deck. Really rather fortuitous that you found your way here to talk tape.

I'm looking forward to the coming Absolute Sound review of your Phase 9.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Greg and welcome to the site. I've followed your efforts over the last few months after talking with Mike Allen on the phone one afternoon about a problem I was having with a Jolida amp. The conversation sort of meandered to tape and UHA came up. Your descriptions had a big effect on my own thinking and it's in large part the reason that I bought a BR-20 (totally stock of course) for my own home use. The idea had occured to me that one day I might reach out to you about wringing a bit more performance out of this deck. Really rather fortuitous that you found your way here to talk tape.

I'm looking forward to the coming Absolute Sound review of your Phase 9.

David Robinson at PFO also has Greg's deck in house. Be on the lookout for Dave's review too!

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
David Robinson at PFO also has Greg's deck in house. Be on the lookout for Dave's review too!

Thanks for the heads-up Myles. I look forward to it also! Can you advise of an expected publication date?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks for the heads-up Myles. I look forward to it also! Can you advise of an expected publication date?

Not at the moment. David also has the Sonorus ATR-10 and a ATR-102 in too for review. I'll let you know if hear anything Fred.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing