Zero Distortion: Altec Assault and the Magic of Misho (Audio Antiquary)

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
Call Devon, he may be your professional for hire :) . It's worth noting that the Public Records pic you show is completely different in total concept than the second pic of what you are after. Is it this exact aesthetic or simply vent to the floor? All those classic 'scoop' back loaded bass bins could work if so...

Any comments on performance goals?

Also might help to mention where you are located in case members have ideas for local resources.
Devon who?

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
Do you think it could be re-designed by professionals to meet design requirements, but not to loose sound quality? I attach how I would like it to be :)

For example I attach one more photo of redesigned 817 with only one vent. It's from Instagram. Done by @devonojas at place called @publicrecordsnyc

I understand that these are silly questions.. and I appreciate a lot that you waste your time to answer them for me.. Big thanks!
anything is possible...as long as the person involved knows what he´s doing, but it´ll be a totally different horn/design and got nothing to do with 817

Reactions: bonzo75

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Devon who?
OP showed a pic he likes, of a system done in Brooklyn NYC, by Devon Turnbull @ OJAS. He is focused on 'Altec era' vintage influenced builds ( imho ) although his work in LA recently had some NNNN Devor 30 subs playing support duty. He and Rune met at etf... In fact that 'Public Records' install has some Comium 30 too...

Reactions: bonzo75
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
OP showed a pic he likes, of a system done in Brooklyn NYC, by Devon Turnbull @ OJAS. He is focused on 'Altec era' vintage influenced builds ( imho ) although his work in LA recently had some NNNN Devor 30 subs playing support duty. He and Rune met at etf... In fact that 'Public Records' install has some Comium 30 too...
:D I met Devon at ETF and he told me about his business and said he lacked a good hornsub....I then told him to have a chat with my friend Rune, and pointed him out ...they immedeately connected, so actually I was the one who introduced them and it has turned out to be a very fruitful relation for both
we also did the main system together at ETF 2022 with Tim Gurney, JC Morrison and Dave Slagle. I brought Studer A80 Nextgen and my friend Vegard brought his GM70 SEmonos and pre

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
:D I met Devon at ETF and he told me about his business and said he lacked a good hornsub....I then told him to have a chat with my friend Rune, and pointed him out ...they immedeately connected, so actually I was the one who introduced them and it has turned out to be a very fruitful relation for both
we also did the main system together at ETF 2022 with Tim Gurney, JC Morrison and Dave Slagle. I brought Studer A80 Nextgen and my friend Vegard brought his GM70 SEmonos and pre

What does Vegard have for speakers and analog?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
:D
Rune, Tim, JC, Dave et al .... Man that's half a dozen of the brighter lights in audio at the moment :) wish I could have been there !

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
Devon did the multicell Altec Tweeters, Rune did the 8x10inch rearchambers for the subhorns,,,,,,we brought them in Vegards BMW X-5....couldn´t even fit a box with 4 redwines...had to put them in the door pockets, cause the car was so full with A80RC, amps tapes, LPs a MicroSeiki DDX1500 and more
Tim built the actual subhorns and the tops designed together with JC
Pete Millet always attends and I met John Chapman from BentAudio first time in 20 years...great event.......Menno van der Veen is always there as well...Jeffrey Jackson from NY had to pass
first time I met Bjørn Kolbræk too...ha ha

• Haha
Reactions: crosswind
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
btw my codesigner of my system, filter designer and CD horn designer, designs passive crossovers for NNNN too.....a real resource

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Rune, Tim, JC, Dave et al .... Man that's half a dozen of the brighter lights in audio at the moment :) wish I could have been there !

Looks like all that was missing was a guy who can take videos on his mobile phone

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I was so into the main system and all the other stuff happening, that the thought never came to me
Despite my wishing to witness the results, if even from a video, I think your description is the ideal response to great audio / music :)

tadas

Mar 13, 2023
How about a JBL Everest dd67000 look? Or the Kinoshita Warp?
Yes, I know both models, thank you. When I will get final NO for 817 redesign, I will go for a deeper look on alternatives.

Thanks again everybody for you answers, appreciate a lot.

tadas

Mar 13, 2023
There are people who have change the main 817 design, including putting the drivers at 45 degree angle and using 4 drivers instead of two. And using two midrange units per speaker instead of 1 (to bump sensitivity). Some are unsuccessful but at least one seems very good, though I have not visited him yet. Too far out in Asia. So yes, people can design these things, but you are taking a punt, and if the person does not have an existing design, changing it is asking him to put in much more effort, so he will charge more as he will need to R&D.

What do you think about new equipment? Would I reach same super high sound quality? For example Genelec 1236. What would be the advantages and dis-advantages?

Attachments

• Genelec-en-G-Livelab-3.jpg
    Genelec-en-G-Livelab-3.jpg
    746.2 KB · Views: 19
  • EB3UG3yW4AAvW5y.jpg
    EB3UG3yW4AAvW5y.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 17
  • 83764dbef4cdbbe8cb580375fa901830b22f87b1.jpg
    83764dbef4cdbbe8cb580375fa901830b22f87b1.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Genelec_Kurikka_04_1.jpg
    Genelec_Kurikka_04_1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No you wouldn’t. This has nothing to do with new Vs old. Well done Altecs are well done Altecs. There are other well done horns. You can read the forum on horns, panels, cones, etc, else we will digress on this thread

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This is also a different requirement to use the speakers in clubs as PA speakers. This forum is more for audiophiles though it will have some people with that experience, like Leif's friend Rune. People on the audio heritage forum use a lot of Altec, JBL and TAD for PA purposes. With Crown type amps.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
No you wouldn’t. This has nothing to do with new Vs old. Well done Altecs are well done Altecs. There are other well done horns. You can read the forum on horns, panels, cones, etc, else we will digress on this thread
How do you know this? The Genelecs he showed could be outstanding…you have heard them?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
How do you know this? The Genelecs he showed could be outstanding…you have heard them?

I have heard genelecs. Not the same model. Totally different sound characteristic to horns in audiophile set ups. More PA like.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
@tadas You clearly have a design motif you are implementing, which is great. Meanwhile it will help you get more and better answers if you post what you actually trying to achieve sonically. For example:

* Size of space
* Anticipated spl requirements
* Music ( live or dj; audiophile or club etc )

Also

If Altec, will you use electronics and sources that are best for this type, or modern high power, or?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing