ying and yang--Lamm ML3 and darTZeel 458

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Sometimes when i Read An audiophile forum IT seems to me were going in circles .
The exact same topics are discussed with more OR less the same outcome

IMHO you should read between the lines and filter the noise. I am finding a lot of information, facts and interesting conclusions spread in this thread.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Be honest micro havent the exact same conclusions been drawn before.
You know better i think .

Sorry to see you consider so. And probably because I know better I could learn some interesting things from the thread. And I am expecting more.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dave, correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t you use powered subs w yr Bionors? Don’t you have the self same problem as Mike?

No, I have efficient vintage subs that I drive with 18 watt SETs. I started off with Class A ss amps, then tried push/pull tube amps on the subs much better and worked well but there still was some discontinuity that that bugged me until I switched to another pair of Lamm SETs.

david

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
No, I have efficient vintage subs that I drive with 18 watt SETs. I started off with Class A ss amps, then tried push/pull tube amps on the subs much better and worked well but there still was some discontinuity that that bugged me until I switched to another pair of Lamm SETs.

david

Yes, you have always been consistent about that...use the same amplification for mains as for subs. I have also heard this from others whom i trust.

I happen not to be doing that (space/complexity/availability/servicing, etc), but cut off above 40hz (36db slope), the big Velodyne works well imho, though i am sure it can be a lot better (as always in audio!).

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Can anyone think of an inherently bright tube amp..or tube preamp for that matter?
Tron Syren has somewhat different tonal balance, than, for example VAC Signature IIA, I used to have, or my current Shindo Vosne Romanee.
One could call it "bright"

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Dave, I’m seriously considering going w horns.
One can go in a couple of different directions.
Full range horns where mids/treble horns sit on Klipshorn-like basshorns, the whole thing being powered by a single set of tubes, or biamping w tubes (assuming the basshorns are of similar high efficiency to the mids/treble horns).
Examples include Haigner Alpha- and Gamma-Horns.
Or horns where the mids/treble horns are powered by tubes, but the bass (Basshorns or dynamic cones) are powered by SS, usually Class D (due to bass section being of much less sensitivity).
Examples include AGs, Cessaros, Sadurnis.
I’m assuming you only have time for the first category.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
I don't know what SETs you have experience with but the ones I have had in my system from KR Audio, Ayon and now Aries Cerat are dead quiet even into 98db/watt horns I use.
My ML2 are also DEAD quiet with 108 dB Avantgarde speakers.
I would also try to lift ground on amps PC just to test this idea.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I’ve read this thread with great interest especially since my system continues to be compared to Mikes The bottom line is my system has never run out of gas. Period end of story.

I totally agree with David’s hypothesis re the MM7. My speakers are plain easy to drive plus I use my ML3 to drive my bottom end. Not once in all the years I’ve had the amp can I say that my system lacked punch or dynamics. To me the inherent deficiency is the ease with which the ML3 will power the drivers. My speakers are a breeze to drive. So to hone down into a root cause analysis I don’t see a thing wrong with the ML3 in my system one bit. I understand and agree with David’s supposition that there is perhaps a mismatch with the amps trying to drive Mikes speakers. Let’s make no mistake that I just don’t have nor have I ever had this problem in my system. I say this only because I read this thread and constantly am reading about my system compared to Mikes. The only similarity is the ML3 in both systems. I have read here about nominal sensitivity and how some readers are questioning the efficacy of 97db sensitive speaker and lacking dynamics. It makes perfect sense that Mikes is a more difficult speaker to drive due to the ceramic drivers. In this case I understand totally why he runs out of gas. I will say again that in my system I just have never had this problem. My speakers are 95 dB efficient.

yes, totally correct in your current room that is, with all due respect, on the small side. in your former (grande!) room up in Danville, it wasn't hard to hear the ML2.1 limitations (at a little more than half the ML3 wattage) particularly in the bass - and I remember you telling me you understood that criticism but craved the realistic midrange the Lamms provided vs. the big ARCs you had before. Mike's room is seemingly more like your former one. In fact, i'd bet its 4-5x bigger than your current room

Last edited:

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Sorry Doc, I think this is a silly recommendation based on the Lamm posse and nothing else.

There are plenty of people who match SET amps with other preamps - and SS should work arguably the easiest as there is no impedance issue.

Noise has nothing to do with his preamp, guaranteed.

ps. having dual volume controls with no remote is a *big* issue for many of us too. I frankly don't believe Vladimir at all on this either.

From my personal experience, noise got a lot to do with the matching preamp.
It's simply a question of different design approach from a different manufacturers.
Witnessed that first hand in my own, and other people's systems.
The best solution been mentioned previously- Lamm preamp.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Yes, you have always been consistent about that...use the same amplification for mains as for subs. I have also heard this from others whom i trust.

I happen not to be doing that (space/complexity/availability/servicing, etc), but cut off above 40hz (36db slope), the big Velodyne works well imho, though i am sure it can be a lot better (as always in audio!).

You are doing that Lloyd, you're using solid state for both they don't have to be same brand just the same type of amplification.

david

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Keith, I know I’m speaking to a Zu enthusiast (despite you ditching LOL the brand).
They’re soon to release their assault on the high end, incl carbon fibre impregnated birch cabinet, similar carbon fibre impregnation of paper cones of the FRDs, both of these approaches for the purpose of maxxing stiffness while minimising weight, 4x 12” subs per spkr.
TOTL Radian supertweeters. All drivers incl subs high efficiency, the FRDs in excess of 101dB, the subs just short of 100. Two subs per spkr tuned for impact/snap, two for warmth/bloom. High quality on board subs amps replacing current models Hypex, w facility to bypass w external amp of user’s choice, Duelund caps to high- and low-pass filters, Lundahls transformers to sub amps. Approx 60”x18”x20”.
If this doesn’t add up to Zu breaking into a true high end sound, I’m not sure what more they need to do.
(And yes, I do know it’s the sound that will make it high end or not, not a list of design parameters).

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Full range horns where mids/treble horns sit on Klipshorn-like basshorns, the whole thing being powered by a single set of tubes, or biamping w tubes (assuming the basshorns are of similar high efficiency to the mids/treble horns).
Or horns where the mids/treble horns are powered by tubes, but the bass (Basshorns or dynamic cones) are powered by SS, usually Class D (due to bass section being of much less sensitivity).

You already know my answer Marc, I wouldn't go half active with the Nats.

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
From my personal experience, noise got a lot to do with the matching preamp.
It's simply a question of different design approach from a different manufacturers.
Witnessed that first hand in my own, and other people's systems.
The best solution been mentioned previously- Lamm preamp.

Circles.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You are doing that Lloyd, you're using solid state for both they don't have to be same brand just the same type of amplification.

david

Thanks...good! Even if they are different topology? Class A SS vs Class D SS? In fact, I actually thought you meant literally the same brand/model amp...Lamm ML2.2, and then ML2.2 or Gryphon Colosseum and Gryphon Colosseum.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

david

I found the same thing when driving my Acoustat "satellites" and my Acoustat "subs" with an Accuphase F25 xover...I had to use the same exact amp on both sets of panels to get a truly coherent sound...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Budget?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thanks...good! Even if they are different topology? Class A SS vs Class D SS? In fact, I actually thought you meant literally the same brand/model amp...Lamm ML2.2, and then ML2.2 or Gryphon Colosseum and Gryphon Colosseum.

No, just similar or close topology for the sub amp but definitely it's best to use the exact same amplification if we're talking about bi-amping.

david

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
You already know my answer Marc, I wouldn't go half active with the Nats.

david

Agreed. Bi-amp if you need to but do it with some more NATs...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Brad, budget? In this hobby?
I asked a friendly guy yesterday how much he spent on his whole system. It transpired less than the cost of a single fuse in mine LOL.
He was amazed. When I then told him I had 18 of the basasses installed, he nearly fainted!

Looking at a maximum really of £40-50k. This is not going to happen right now, I’m still determined to eek out every last iota of performance from the Zus. I also have unavoidable spends on the chapel (yes, there is life outside audiophilia). But in the next 3 years, if I feel more and more compelled to go the horns route, £40-50k is my proposed budget.
And at that price, they’d BETTER be good, no half hearted bass extension, or lack of bass/mids integration, or dissociated drivers, or audible crossover artifacts, or flimsy construction. Or am I demanding too much?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing