YG Acoustics

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Has anybody heard the new YG Acoustics Vantage speaker yet?
I read it was on show at Axpona and would welcome impressions from any members who heard it there, or obviously anywhere else.

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
I heard them at AXPONA for a few minutes. Of course that was under show conditions but they sounded good to me, definitely worth an audition if you are considering speakers in that range.

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
I wonder how many YG Acoustics speaker owners there are on this forum. I have owned YG Sonja XV for about a year now.

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
I am YG carmel 2 owner.
Just got it 1 month ago

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Currently about 120 hours of running in. Carmel 2 is singing better and better...

Reactions: CKKeung and asiufy

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Congratulations! Great choice of partnering gear for the Carmel 2s, they must be singing indeed!

cheers,
Alex

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
For YG users, what is the pairing amp you are using?

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I've tried them with a wide variety of amps, and they will change accordingly, to reflect the amp (+equipment down the chain).
Your Gryphon was a good match, for its warm, punchy sound.
If you're looking at integrateds, the darTZeel CTH/LHC are great matches, as well as the D'Agostinos. Another fantastic piece was the Luxman L-509. Great extension, clarity, and plenty of power of tap for the fast transients.
At shows, I've heard the Nagras do incredibly well too, and this year in Munich, I've heard a SimAudio Moon integrated handling a Hailey very capably.
If it's tubes you want, you'll have to take into consideration the size of your room. In a small room, even a REF75SE will do fine, but of course, a brand new 160S (or a GS150 stereo, a bargain at the current used prices) are fantastic too. Those are stereo amps, though, so you'll need a preamp.
We have actually shown Carmel 2 a few years ago, at THE Show here in California, with a GS150 and a REF6 preamp, in a small-ish hotel room. The room next door had Sonja with D'Agostino Progression Monos and a REF10 preamp :)

cheers,
Alex

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
I've tried them with a wide variety of amps, and they will change accordingly, to reflect the amp (+equipment down the chain).
Your Gryphon was a good match, for its warm, punchy sound.
If you're looking at integrateds, the darTZeel CTH/LHC are great matches, as well as the D'Agostinos. Another fantastic piece was the Luxman L-509. Great extension, clarity, and plenty of power of tap for the fast transients.
At shows, I've heard the Nagras do incredibly well too, and this year in Munich, I've heard a SimAudio Moon integrated handling a Hailey very capably.
If it's tubes you want, you'll have to take into consideration the size of your room. In a small room, even a REF75SE will do fine, but of course, a brand new 160S (or a GS150 stereo, a bargain at the current used prices) are fantastic too. Those are stereo amps, though, so you'll need a preamp.
We have actually shown Carmel 2 a few years ago, at THE Show here in California, with a GS150 and a REF6 preamp, in a small-ish hotel room. The room next door had Sonja with D'Agostino Progression Monos and a REF10 preamp :)

cheers,
Alex

I read somewhere that dartzeel sounds on analytical side. But I haven’t listened one before. What is you view on this?

I have a Formula xHD coming. How does it pair? :cool:

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Couldn't be further from how I hear it. darTZeel is quite warm and rich, incredible midrange transparency/resolution, and with excellent high frequency extension/ambiance retrieval. No bass champs, though, so perhaps your Gryphon will be better in this aspect.

The Formula xHD has a rich midrange/lower bass. They will definitely "beef up" the sound of your Carmel 2s. They ALSO do amazing ambiance, so you will definitely hear more of the "room" the recording was made in than with most other DACs.

BTW, the DAC that we used at THE Show, with Carmel 2/ARC was... Aqua Formula :D

cheers,
Alex

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I wouldn't be so categoric. Depending on what he's looking for, other options will be indeed better. That's why I emphasized the strengths/characteristics of each option.

The YGs will show, better than most, the differences between those amps.

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
One of the future change I am considering is vitus int amp such as the new SIA 030.

The warmth should be good match with YG

JayT

Oct 10, 2017
I read somewhere that dartzeel sounds on analytical side. But I haven’t listened one before. What is you view on this?

I have a Formula xHD coming. How does it pair? :cool:

Similar to what asiufy mentioned, I haven’t heard a dartzeel that I would classify as analytical. Warm, almost tube like midrange. Your Carmels will go nicely with it, although they really would like a amp that can really grip the drivers.

I’m a happy vitus pre power user, and I heard great things about the new integrated sia030. Waiting for the demo to arrive, but heard it will be during the next production run.

One of the nicest match I heard with carmels was a full nagra setup, so may be food for thought as well? Also liked it when matched with VAC amps.

On a side note, did you give the new msb DACs a try? It’s pretty impressive and quite a different sound from the ones you currently have. Would love the chance to hear the aqua formula, but there’s no local dealer here.

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Similar to what asiufy mentioned, I haven’t heard a dartzeel that I would classify as analytical. Warm, almost tube like midrange. Your Carmels will go nicely with it, although they really would like a amp that can really grip the drivers.

I’m a happy vitus pre power user, and I heard great things about the new integrated sia030. Waiting for the demo to arrive, but heard it will be during the next production run.

One of the nicest match I heard with carmels was a full nagra setup, so may be food for thought as well? Also liked it when matched with VAC amps.

On a side note, did you give the new msb DACs a try? It’s pretty impressive and quite a different sound from the ones you currently have. Would love the chance to hear the aqua formula, but there’s no local dealer here.

Which vitus pre power are you using?

I haven’t listened to the new MSB DAC but dealer also told me it sounds different than the previous model.

Understand you are also based in Singapore. I am importing the aqua formula in as no local dealer here.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I wonder how many YG Acoustics speaker owners there are on this forum. I have owned YG Sonja XV for about a year now.
Wow...what other speakers have you auditioned/owned that were in anywhere near this league? What drew you to this set? I have read great things about them. What is the rest of your system? Are you the Chuck who owns Boulder 3000 series?

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Well, if you do get the Vitus, let us know how it pairs! That's a brand I haven't heard often with YGs, so any extra data points help.

The new MSB DACs do indeed sound different from the previous models. Different as in, orders of magnitude better :) I've had the IV, IV Plus and the V, and nothing can prepare you for what a Reference or Select can do. But as I said earlier, the Formula is a performance champ, and it'll add just what your Carmel 2s need, so I do think you made the right choice there.

cheers,
Alex

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Wow...what other speakers have you auditioned/owned that were in anywhere near this league? What drew you to this set? I have read great things about them. What is the rest of your system? Are you the Chuck who owns Boulder 3000 series?

Ahhh...just checked...you ARE the Chuck who owns the Boulder 3060...stunning. The Boulder 3000 series is definitely one series I would absolutely love to hear some day.

Would love to read more about the Sonja XV. I believe you can drive the entire 4-tower speaker from your Boulder 3060 stereo? ie, the bass towers are passive?

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
My first pair of YGs were a pair of Carmel 1s which I first used with Naim 500/552DR and later a Vitus 025 SIA.
I then moved to YG Kipod Signature passives to get a larger scale to the sound but which retained all the YG virtues.
I was concerned as to whether the Vitus would be powerful enough and had it on demo. No problems with either of the YGs. A lovely sounding combination

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing