XP-30 has landed!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Bruce, you mentioned earlier that you used to use a CAT with rolled in tubes. That's the preamp that i currently use and I still think it is the best that I have heard. What is your opinion of the differences between the CAT and your current Pass Labs?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Why does pass lab flip flop so much?

First they put the controller section in the same box as sensitive electronics in the xp20.
Then they shifted the controller section into the ps box with the xp30.
Now they again shifted the controller back with electronics on the Xs.

Seriously, can pass lab come up with a 1 box unit that can come close or beat the Ayre KX-R?

The xp-30 already does from the reports I have read. In regard to the XS, you will notice that the now separate power supply is huge. I am sure there will be a marked improvement with the design. There is no doubt. Of course there is a price to pay and a significant one at that. What is your engineering background that qualifies you to second guess Nelson Pass' decision to bring a product to market that is aligned with their XS amps, which are clearly superior to the XA.5 series ? The Ayre is a rather old model at this stage. Perhaps their engineering well of Idea's has run dry ?

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
We've been down this road before.
A 3-box unit pass lab sound only close to the 1-box Ayre (according some users report and John Atkinson's)
Maybe it'll take another 2 more generation of experimentation by pass lab to figure how other companies do it at this current model's price point.
For the same dollar, I'd rather take 1 box, and not have all these umbilical cords hanging around audio signal carrying cables.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Bruce, you mentioned earlier that you used to use a CAT with rolled in tubes. That's the preamp that i currently use and I still think it is the best that I have heard. What is your opinion of the differences between the CAT and your current Pass Labs?

From what I remember, the CAT made things sound good. Everything just gelled together. If I may, voices, cello and other lower midrange frequencies had more body. It stuck out more, especially that and the top end. The Pass is more coherent. You don't hear anything sticking out. Not that sticking out was a bad thing. I liked the rounded edge of things. This is what the Doshi brings to the table. The Doshi and the Pass pre is a match made in heaven. If I were to choose a pre that I just want to sit and enjoy, it would be the CAT. The Pass, you can enjoy, but for different reasons.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Bruce, thanks for that. I'm not sure I understand your term...'everything just gelled together', as that is certainly not what I hear, but I'm also not sure the context you are putting that in:confused:

Last edited:

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
From what I remember, the CAT made things sound good. Everything just gelled together. If I may, voices, cello and other lower midrange frequencies had more body. It stuck out more, especially that and the top end. The Pass is more coherent. You don't hear anything sticking out. Not that sticking out was a bad thing. I liked the rounded edge of things. This is what the Doshi brings to the table. The Doshi and the Pass pre is a match made in heaven. If I were to choose a pre that I just want to sit and enjoy, it would be the CAT. The Pass, you can enjoy, but for different reasons.

Bruce, if you have to choose between xp30 and the cat as a controller for studio monitoring, to ensure the music you are mastering would be translate well to most/more systems, which unit would you chose?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Bruce, thanks for that. I'm not sure I understand your term...'everything just gelled together', as that is certainly not what I hear, but I'm also not sure the context you are putting that in:confused:

Be assured that this is a good thing!

Bruce, if you have to choose between xp30 and the cat as a controller for studio monitoring, to ensure the music you are mastering would be translate well to most/more systems, which unit would you chose?

Definitely the XP-30. It passes on exactly what is on the master tape. With the CAT, I feel it colors the sound a little too much for mastering purposes, but damn it's sure great to listen to!

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Definitely the XP-30. It passes on exactly what is on the master tape. With the CAT, I feel it colors the sound a little too much for mastering purposes, but damn it's sure great to listen to!

Glad to hear that. Thanks, Bruce.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I continue to be amazed by this thing. I received the unit last week and just listened to it for a couple of days. Went to the Newport Show and left it on with a signal going through it constantly. (the wife loved that!)
Listening to it tonight I can't believe how it makes every source quieter. A deeper background brings out details that were previously masked. Can't believe how noisy this Switchman 3 was. I see the light..... and it is good!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing