XP-30 - Do the RCA and XLR Outputs Sound the Same ? ....

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Has anyone compared the sound differences of the RCA vs XLR outs on the XP-30 preamp? I am curious if you've heard any appreciable difference in sound. Thanks!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
You know, Joe, that won't keep you as warm as the XA100.5's! :D :D :D :D

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Ha!

Sure it will. Those modules throw off some heat. It's a wonderful preamp and goes extremely well with every amp I've used with it. I just leave the 100.5's on to heat the room. :)

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi Joe, might be a bit late on this.
I currently have the xp-20 with x350.5 at home and yes, the rca and xlr seem to sound quite a bit different.

With the rca the music was nice sounding but a bit smooth. When you played any up tempo music it seemed to be a bit slow and muted with little leading edge of instruments .
I was about to ship the xp-20 back when I decided to get out the card as xlr-rca adaptors and put them on both the pre and power amp and use the xlr inputs..
Wow, quite a large difference. They sound now had greater upper extension and also speed to the music. For the past 3 days, really enjoying the sound.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Joe, might be a bit late on this.
I currently have the xp-20 with x350.5 at home and yes, the rca and xlr seem to sound quite a bit different.

With the rca the music was nice sounding but a bit smooth. When you played any up tempo music it seemed to be a bit slow and muted with little leading edge of instruments .
I was about to ship the xp-20 back when I decided to get out the card as xlr-rca adaptors and put them on both the pre and power amp and use the xlr inputs..
Wow, quite a large difference. They sound now had greater upper extension and also speed to the music. For the past 3 days, really enjoying the sound.

Wow...quite a change for you, no? How does the sound compare with CJ?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Wow...quite a change for you, no? How does the sound compare with CJ?

Hi Lloyd

Hard to be definative but the biggest difference seems to be the absence of upper bass warmth in the Pass combo. With the cj it adds perceived weight but also clouds some of the midrange detail where with the Pass more musical detail is heard.
This is more the difference between the xp-20 and the gat than the amps it seems.
Putting the gat back in the system later will give me a better idea of the difference's.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloyd

Hard to be definative but the biggest difference seems to be the absence of upper bass warmth in the Pass combo. With the cj it adds perceived weight but also clouds some of the midrange detail where with the Pass more musical detail is heard.
This is more the difference between the xp-20 and the gat than the amps it seems.
Putting the gat back in the system later will give me a better idea of the difference's.

Interesting...i will be curious to know what you think after putting the GAT back in!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Shane, Lloyd,

The Pass XP-30 is slightly warmer while still having detail compared to the XP-20 preamp. I much prefer the XP-30 over the XP-20.

I do have the say my VAC Sig IIa is probably the best preamp I've owned. Sadly, I prefer the VAC Sig IIa to the GAT. I do enjoy the XP-30 almost as much as the VAC but the VAC has more meaty fullness to the music.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Shane, Lloyd,

The Pass XP-30 is slightly warmer while still having detail compared to the XP-20 preamp. I much prefer the XP-30 over the XP-20.

I do have the say my VAC Sig IIa is probably the best preamp I've owned. Sadly, I prefer the VAC Sig IIa to the GAT. I do enjoy the XP-30 almost as much as the VAC but the VAC has more meaty fullness to the music.

Good to know! thanks...would love to hear the VACs someday.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Shane, Lloyd,

..not surprised...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Shane, Lloyd,

FWIW, I just decided to take a break from work and switch my HRS nimbus couplers from underneath my DAC PSU to underneath the CJ GAT. Big difference...i am leaving it there for now. The GAT has internal isolation/floating platforms for the tubes, but believe it or not, i use the HRS underneath, Finite Elemente Resonators on top of the tube cages and a damping plate along the back...and each has made a difference for the better...solidity of images and improvement of detail/decay. Surprisingly, the HRS nimbus couplers pushed the voices of jazz vocalists about 3 feet back...weird but feels right with more room between instruments.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
That's great Lloyd,

Myles highly recommends isolation under the GAT to really kick up the performance. He feels it makes a dramatic difference. I admit I've never tried "professional or commercial" isolation products but I feel if I never had my 911's, I'd probably still have the GAT. It does not matter now, the 911's should be sold soon.

FWIW, I just decided to take a break from work and switch my HRS nimbus couplers from underneath my DAC PSU to underneath the CJ GAT. Big difference...i am leaving it there for now. The GAT has internal isolation/floating platforms for the tubes, but believe it or not, i use the HRS underneath, Finite Elemente Resonators on top of the tube cages and a damping plate along the back...and each has made a difference for the better...solidity of images and improvement of detail/decay. Surprisingly, the HRS nimbus couplers pushed the voices of jazz vocalists about 3 feet back...weird but feels right with more room between instruments.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
That's great Lloyd,

Myles highly recommends isolation under the GAT to really kick up the performance. He feels it makes a dramatic difference. I admit I've never tried "professional or commercial" isolation products but I feel if I never had my 911's, I'd probably still have the GAT. It does not matter now, the 911's should be sold soon.

Yes, i though i read that somewhere too. Thanks, Joe. I also moved the DAC PSU to the lower shelf which has much greater isolation, so all good i think. What amps are you thinking of keeping now...Pass?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Yes, i though i read that somewhere too. Thanks, Joe. I also moved the DAC PSU to the lower shelf which has much greater isolation, so all good i think. What amps are you thinking of keeping now...Pass?

Hi Lloyd,

I'm getting the Dartzeel preamp to go with my Dart amp as one system. I really need to experience that combo connected with the 50 ohm Zeel/BNC connection.

I am focusing on the Pass XA160/200 with the VAC pre at this point, but not totally sure. These will be unbearable in the summer in my room, fall/winter - no problem. The Xs-150's are on the list instead of the 160/200's for next year. They do run a "little" cooler :)

I really need to think about my next step.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Isolation/footers do make a difference. I use Stillpoints ultra ss under my GAT. Tightens up the bass and adds focus to the musical delivery.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Isolation/footers do make a difference. I use Stillpoints ultra ss under my GAT. Tightens up the bass and adds focus to the musical delivery.

We have another vote...that's 3! Thanks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing