XACT S1. The music server you've been waiting for

Marcin_gps

VIP Donor/Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
May I offer a suggestion?
Why don't you try a "tourbox", a.k.a. a server that will go around a few prominent audiophiles with good systems, that'll offer their insight and comparisons for all the community to witness.
For every product I've seen that happen, it has always been beneficial in more than one ways.
Of course, but I will leave that for distributors. UK will be the first market where XACT will be presented to customers. Auden Distribution gets first units next week.

Best regards,
Marcin

optiman

Nov 15, 2022
Does the interface on the back have a clock input? Is there an AES/EBU digital output interface? Thanks a lot?

Marcin_gps

Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
Does the interface on the back have a clock input? Is there an AES/EBU digital output interface? Thanks a lot?
Hi @optiman

Only USB output is available.

Sales will launch along with new website at the end of November.

I'm pleased to inform that we received Best Sound award at the Audio Video Show in Warsaw where the product was presented for the first time.

1668587094396.png

Best regards,
Marcin

Last edited:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Ouch. It has a real price tag.

Marcin_gps

Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
Hi Marcin

I hope you are well.

I am a customer of all your products which I find excellent.

Is it possible to run ROON with JPLAY on your new server?
Hello,

Thanks for asking. No, it does not run ROON.

Instead it runs a complete plug & play architecture controlled by JPLAY app which is a real alternative to Roon.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,
Marcin

Reactions: Mentanalyste

Mentanalyste

Jun 12, 2020
Hello,

Thanks for asking. No, it does not run ROON.

Instead it runs a complete plug & play architecture controlled by JPLAY app which is a real alternative to Roon.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,
Marcin
Hi Thanks,

I use JPLAY FEMTO with Roon in ASIO output.

Is it possible to connect it in remote?

Marcin_gps

Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
Hi Thanks,

I use JPLAY FEMTO with Roon in ASIO output.

Is it possible to connect it in remote?
It will not work this way. If it did, I would not recommend this as part of the equation (PC) would have a profound impact on sound quality.

XACT S1 does not rely on external players / servers. Everything is integrated in the product.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Marcin

Reactions: Mentanalyste

Mentanalyste

Jun 12, 2020
Hi Marcin,

It's perfectly clear now. I'm going to think about switching over from my DIY server fully equipped with JPLAY +JCAT USB/Network EX + OPTIMO but running under Roon.

I am a fan of Roon and Jplay. I had both before and your approach dictates that I have to choose my father or mother ;-) it's so hard...

Thanks again Marcin.

Reactions: Marcin_gps

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
@Marcin_gps

Is it possible to listen to XACT S1 at HE Munich in May?
Thx

Matt

celebrat

Apr 21, 2023
New Hampshire USA
Hello Everyone. This is my first post here. I have found a place in my listening room for the JCAT Xact S1 Server/Player. I have only had for 2 days. In that short amount of time, I have discovered nuances in the music I love. If I have to descibe what I am hearing in a few words, I would say Open, Rich, Dynamic, Revealing. Previosly using ROON, I am somewhat unfamiliar with the operation of JPALY and still on a learning curve. I am a limited user of PC and a new user to the world of Apple iPad. Suffice to say user interface is surprisingly simple. Marcin included a few tracks and albums on the 4TB SSD and music SQ I am hearing is revelatory and astounding. I just subscribed to to Qobuz yesterday. While not a big fan of streaming, I must say that the sound is superb. Not quite the level of what I am hearing on the local storage, but better than my previos streaming encounters and deemed worthy enough to be considered.

To those of you who have explored JPLAY, and JCAT through their NET Card, various Optimo linear supplies, and server upgrades, the XACT S1 is everything Marcin says he has learned in more than a decade. I beleive him. I must say upfront, other than being a client in the USA, I have no other affiliation with JCAT, JPLAY or Marcin.

While not inexpensive, neither is TAIKO or Aurender. and many others. I am not familar with TAIKO, but I am with Aurender. For me it is is all about SQ. Let me say now that Xact S1 more than holds its own to any server/player I have encountered. It deserves to be considered when looking at this high level of digital playback. Bit are Bits, but how they get to your ears is where the science & Art truly resides.

As I get more familiar, I hope to give you more information but now I have to figure out how to move my music files to the Xact. Thank you for reading. I hope you find it helpful.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Let me say now that Xact S1 more than holds its own to any server/player I have encountered.
May I ask which servers you have encountered before or compared to the XACT S1 and what the S1 does better than these?
Thx

Matt

celebrat

Apr 21, 2023
New Hampshire USA
Hi Matt
As I said, I really do not stream much at all. Mostly limited to my car. There is some YouTube concerts etc.

I previously used a MusicVault server/computer which I really liked. It is more than 7 years, old used a SOTM USB card I installed. That is where all my music files reside (about 15TB) and I played direct fom there. It is a good server, but the Xact S1 is in another league. I am actually good friends with Neal Van Berg of Sound Scence, maker of the MusicVault.

I evaluated the Aurender at home and performance was simular to the MV. Crazy money for the same performance ,so I did not purchase. I also have a Bricasti M3 DAC with streamer card and that is very good as well. I would serve files from the MusicVault and stream (again rarely) from the Bricasti.

Back to the Jcat Xact S1. Since I don't have my music loaded into it yet (Marcin said that would be best SQ) this past Saturday, I just subscribed to Qobuz so I would have my tastes in music available. The sound from streaming with the Xact actually sounds superior to either the MusicVault or the Bricasti. That blew me away. The music from the few files loaded on the Xact is actually was superior to the streaming by a very wide margin. Regardless of format.

This guy Marcin is really onto something. He designed the actual motherboard in the Xact. The entire unit utilizes a linear power supply from motherboard to his USB Card and his FemtoServer card. The music comes out of a dark invisible background. More Dynamic, Richer tonality and Clean. Bass is deep and articulate. Imaging seem more 3d in space. I have 2 GR research open baffle subwoofers (which I love dearly); I had to adjust output down a bit to compensate. The Xact sounds like analog, is how I can best describe it, but without the analogue limitations. For me it is an expensive purchase, but I do beleive it adds to my listening pleasre. That is what it is all about.

I am working on getting files into the Xact. I'll say more when I do and the unit is full broken in. Thanks

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, celebrat!

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
The music from the few files loaded on the Xact is actually was superior to the streaming by a very wide margin. Regardless of format.
I must confess that I did not expect this.
Isn't it the case that the best servers close as far as possible the SQ gap between local stored files and streaming?

Matt

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing