Wonderful old Mercury vinyl purchase

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
I purchased a copy of the Mercury Living Presence Haydn Symphonies 100 and 101 (SR90155) via eBay a few weeks ago. I am definitely not an expert in old vinyl, so it was a speculative purchase. It was still factory sealed but my basic knowledge did tell me it was still likely to be an RFR pressing nonetheless.

Well I was pleasantly surprised when I finally received it, opened it and saw it was an FR1 on one side and an RFR2 on the other. Believe it or not, this is my first genuine old Mercury purchase. Everything else I have is either a Classic Records reissue, Speakers Corner reissue or one of the new Decca-based reissues.

I put it on my Record Doctor V vacuum cleaner and gave it a spin last night. Wow! I am starting to understand why the original pressings (well, I mean the ones made before Mercury ceased to be in the mid 60s) are so coveted. It might not be the earliest pressing, but to me it still sounds like a great one. There is a real driving, dynamic wallop to the sound. Sort of like the very best of analogue and digital combined, whereas many of the modern reissues can sound a little bit lifeless by comparison (still great sounding, though I feel you can hear the difference between a three year old tape and a 50 year old tape apart from whatever other technical differences exist...).

Here is a simple MP3 excerpt of the opening of the Symphony 101. I am really happy with this purchase.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/aopkkx

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Fiddle Faddle, I presume you did not buy a color back. That is still a very very nice LP. If you are just starting to collect old Merc's, most of the Dorati's are well worth seeking out. Here are a few Merc's I particularly like: SR90134,SR90199, SR90006,SR90153, SR90144 ( hard to source), SR90226 and SR90316.

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
Fiddle Faddle, I presume you did not buy a color back. That is still a very very nice LP. If you are just starting to collect old Merc's, most of the Dorati's are well worth seeking out. Here are a few Merc's I particularly like: SR90134,SR90199, SR90006,SR90153, SR90144 ( hard to source), SR90226 and SR90316.

No, I'm not really a collector per se. I'm not setting out to collect old recordings as such - mercs or otherwise :) This was merely an opportunistic purchase (along with a couple of other early reprint mercs). I'd never seen this Haydn title reissued and I don't even think it ever came out on CD either (maybe it did but I've never seen it anywhere except on original LPs). And I love the works and the performances so I just had to have them. I have quite a lot of Mercury vinyl already - including all the ones you have listed - and some other titles on CD (the latter only if I have not been able to get the vinyl). So I only go looking for vintage stuff if I badly want the particular recording and there doesn't seem a likely way of getting it elsewhere on vinyl. I actually think, however, that Wilma Cozart-Fine's transfers back in the early 90s hold up exceptionally well - even against audiophile vinyl and even the originals - as she said herself - the original vinyl and the CDs are two different but equally valid interpretations of the master tapes. Which I take to mean a diplomatic way of saying neither are transparent :) And the latest Decca reissues are from her 90s masters and even they sound pretty good - except for one or two where I think later high resolution technology would have helped.

Yes, it was not a colour-back so I was not going to bid big dollars on it since I realise this record it is not worth much with the black and white back. In the end I paid about the same as I would have were it reissued today.

Nice!

Enjoy in good health my friend.

I will!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing