Wiring for changing balanced phono cable to unbalanced

Pwolo

Oct 30, 2021
I need to rewire my Kuzma 4 point balanced tonearm cable to rca’s as my new integrated does not have balanced input.

The Kuzma is direct wired to the cartridge clips so I was wondering what the best way is to connect the 3 pin xlr wiring to the rca?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
As a purely theoretical comment, have you determined clearly how the RCA input is wired - grounded? Its possible, although not so likely, to have differential input on an RCA if the barrel is isolated and not chassis grounded ...

If you care to share, what integrated did you get? Just curious :)

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Anyways

+ to pin
- to barrel
Turntable ground to chassis lug ( usually provided for phono capable preamps )

Is the cable shielded as well?

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I've rewired several Kuzma tone arms here with RCA---> XLR . my only warning to you is that the wire Kuzma uses is extremely fine like 36ga . You must support it at the connector mechanically or else you will have breakage as you plug unplug.

Page 38 Van denhul recommends the screen of the cable attaches to the phono RIAA end. It will work this way and sometimes not ;) screening and grounding is supposed to be a science but it just never works out that way in audio sometimes.

The Kuzma arms I rewired did not have screen shields.

Good luck and be careful otherwise you'll be cutting back the cable to redo your work.....

Pwolo

Oct 30, 2021
Thanks for the responses.

I bought a used Aesthetix Mimas and I am waiting on the phono module, due in a couple of weeks.

I love the Io, but just too much heat produced in a non-airconditioned room when used with the recently departed Pass XA25.

Reactions: Solypsa

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Nice. From their site:
" Phono card: MM / MC phono input card, two inputs, fully discrete FET-based, high gain differential circuit utilizing Wima film capacitors from Germany for RIAA and power supply bypass "

I would ask them if their rca inputs support differential balanced from cart , if so, wire same way but don't tie any shields to the barrel, rather to a chassis ground

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
First of all you don’t need to convert balanced to single ended. You only need to switch plugs, xlr to rca.
Connect XLR (if it’s not inverted)
- pin 2 to RCA center pin (signal +)
- pin 3 to RCA outer pin (signal -)
- pin 3 to earth cable (if you notice hum you may try to disconnect this)
It will still be a balanced connection with RCA connectors. It has to remain balanced like almost all tonearm cables.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing