Wilson Audio Introduces the All-new Alexia (Offical Press Release Information!)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
regarding the comment about changing electronics and keeping existing speakers, or changing the speakers - the speaker change usually always yields a much bigger improvement. Speakers errors are so gross compared to electronics differences.

You are comparing apples with oranges. The type of errors/improvements introduced by speakers is completely different from those of electronics. IMHO, each case is different and there are no fixed rules. BTW, changes does not mean improvements!

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Thank you, Steve! You are too kind. John, Peter, and Jerron did an outstanding job at the show. I am flattered none the less, though!

I had a wonderful time with you guys. This show was a lot of fun. It has an energy to it that CES lacks. Was refreshing! Thank you for spending time with me chatting... I enjoyed your warm, welcoming company!

I am also thrilled to be apart of this fabulous online community you have created here on WBF. You all have made me feel welcome here, and that means a lot to me!

Safe travels for those of you returning home from RMAF, and as always: happy listening!

Debby

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I just got in from the show (yawn, double yawn). I had to post up and say that the Alexias were outstanding. If you do not have a 20x30 room this my friends is the Wilson speaker of choice. Extraordinary stage in depth and even more so in width (signaling outstanding phase coherency). I was mighty impressed. This is the very first time I am lusting over one of Dave's products. I do wish though I could have heard (or hear) a properly set up Wamm. Hats off to Wilson on this grand achievement.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
The reason I went to RMAF this year was to hear the Alexias. I was not disappointed, but unfortunately, I did have a few nits to pick with the demo. I spent considerable time in then preferred listening seat with my own source material which Bea and Luke were gracious enough to accommodate, in addition to listening to the material of their choosing. First, to address an earlier comment, the speaker is hardly comparable to the Sasha when it comes to reproducing the power and scale of full orchestral material. Rather, it is far more comparable to the Alexandria in this regard. In general, I found I had to listen "through" the set up to appreciate the speaker's attributes, which are considerable. First, as a VTL Siegfried owner, I long ago abandoned the use of 6550 tubes in favor of KT88s which offer a far more beautiful and sweeter midrange and top end than 6550s. Next, I am simply not a fan of DCS digital gear in any incarnation as I feel it is a more mechanical and analytical sound than some other digital gear that is out there (i.e. Meitner). So the combo of the DCS stack plus 6550s made it just uneasy enough for me that I found myself to clenching my teeth through a good part of the material I heard. Violins were a particular disappointment in their lack of sweetness as exemplified by the Beethoven Triple Concerto LP was a slight bummer, with strings on CD even more irritating. However the extraordinary dynamics on some of my routine Reference Recoding material showed the merits of the speaker's dynamic capabilities to full effect, coupled as it was to the extraordinary dynamic capabilities of the Siegfried II's. So all in all, I neutral impression of the demo. It was easy to see that in the Alexia, Wilson has themselves a winner. But I wish the demo allowed me to appreciate their obvious merits a bit better. I'll conclude by saying that the most impressive Wilson I heard at the show was... Debby Wilson. I never met her before and Steve was kind enough to introduce me. Let's just say this. There can be no doubt that the Wilson legacy is in good hands if she has anything to do with it. The apple does not fall far from the tree. Deb is an impressive woman, and it was pleasure to get to meet her and get to know her a bit.

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I went to the show this year at the last minute.

I am very interested in the Alexia and even though I knew from past experience that it would be hard to get a feel for them at the show, it was still fun to hear them. I visited the room at least 4 times and there was at least one song that I heard 4 times. Between the small selection of music and the electronics I didn’t get too much out of the demo (I enjoyed the Doshi room more), but Peter McGrath was great as always and meeting Deb was a highlight for me. I totally agree with other folks that she’s doing a wonderful job for Wilson.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hey Flez...would be interested in knowing more about the Ypsilon room...did you hear their digital? In a new room, different setup...it is always difficult if not impossible to isolate equipment...but nevertheless, was curious if they were playing their digital set up and if you had any thoughts on it. thanks!

Well, I did, and it wasn't good, at all. I really don't see what Fremer heard on these things. Perhaps it was the Lansche, but everything was bright and thin, treble and midrange, with no body. At some point, the guy behind me said "this doesn't sound like a violin!", and walked out. And I have to agree with him, the violin was sounding like a buzzing insect :)
Oh, and we were listening to their digital at that point...
I spent a few more mins there, noticed their repertoire was limited (classical only), got up and left.

alexandre

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The system sounded pretty darn good with jazz when slowgeezer and I were there!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well, I did, and it wasn't good, at all. I really don't see what Fremer heard on these things. Perhaps it was the Lansche, but everything was bright and thin, treble and midrange, with no body. At some point, the guy behind me said "this doesn't sound like a violin!", and walked out. And I have to agree with him, the violin was sounding like a buzzing insect :)
Oh, and we were listening to their digital at that point...
I spent a few more mins there, noticed their repertoire was limited (classical only), got up and left.

alexandre

Thanks for the feedback!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I see separate speaker terminals for mids and highs, and assume a third set for the bass cab. How are they meant to be wired?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Tim,

The speakers wires connect at the bass cabinet. The other terminals you see are for wires that come from and connect to the mid and treble internal crossover.

arnies

May 10, 2010
Austin, TX
lloydelee21

Densen B350 mono-amps and B250 preamp, Rega Apollo r, soon to add Audio Research DAC 8, all Silver Audio cables. I ask because I've heard the Mira 2s with my electronics and preferred both the Sophia 3s and Sashas. I understand the Aviors are in the Sasha's price range and maybe considerably better. My dilemma is upgrade electronics and keep the Sasha's or change to Magico S5s or Aviors. I realize what sounds better is in the ear of the beholder, but there aren't any Rockport or Magico dealers in Texas. I'm trying to get a sense of if there are significant difference between Sasha's and Aviors?

Hi, you can private message me if you would like and I would be very happy to discuss further some of the speakers that you have mentioned. I have heard most of the speakers in the Rockport lineup - the Avior, the Aquila, the Altair and the Arrakis 2. I have only heard the Avior under show conditions both at CES in January and at RMAF last week. The others have been in private homes and a very good dealer setup. I also live in Texas. I used to own the Magico M5 speaker and have done extensive listening to the both the Q3 and the Q5. I also heard the Alexia last week at RMAF, have done extensive listening to the WP 8, the MAXX 3 and have listened to the Alexandria Series 2 in a friends setup and the XLF at Innovative Audio in NYC. I now own the Rockport Arrakis 2 (with the active external crossover). I would be happy to have you come by for a listen to the Arrakis and I am sure we cold arrange a listen to the Alexandria's as well at the same time. Happy to help in any way I can.

Arnie

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Where have all the flowers gone?

Its been 2 mo since RMAF and I'm a little surprised in the paucity of reports on the Alexia in the real world (The Innovative Audio thread is an exception). So what's up folks? Surely these have made it to dealers and private homes by now. Any comments? Amplifier preferences? Head to head comparisons with any of the other uber speakers (Rockport, Magico, etc). Seems there would be a lot of interest but little real world experience, even at dealers. Wuz up?

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
Where have all the flowers gone?

Its been 2 mo since RMAF and I'm a little surprised in the paucity of reports on the Alexia in the real world (The Innovative Audio thread is an exception). So what's up folks? Surely these have made it to dealers and private homes by now. Any comments? Amplifier preferences? Head to head comparisons with any of the other uber speakers (Rockport, Magico, etc). Seems there would be a lot of interest but little real world experience, even at dealers. Wuz up?

Check out WA's Facebook page.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Check out WA's Facebook page.

Yes, WA's FB page shows quite a few dealers system's with Alexia set up.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi, you can private message me if you would like and I would be very happy to discuss further some of the speakers that you have mentioned. I have heard most of the speakers in the Rockport lineup - the Avior, the Aquila, the Altair and the Arrakis 2. I have only heard the Avior under show conditions both at CES in January and at RMAF last week. The others have been in private homes and a very good dealer setup. I also live in Texas. I used to own the Magico M5 speaker and have done extensive listening to the both the Q3 and the Q5. I also heard the Alexia last week at RMAF, have done extensive listening to the WP 8, the MAXX 3 and have listened to the Alexandria Series 2 in a friends setup and the XLF at Innovative Audio in NYC. I now own the Rockport Arrakis 2 (with the active external crossover). I would be happy to have you come by for a listen to the Arrakis and I am sure we cold arrange a listen to the Alexandria's as well at the same time. Happy to help in any way I can.

Arnie

Hi Arnie - Happy New Year...any comments you feel happy to share on Arrakis 2 v XLF and Alexia v Maxx 3? Feel free to throw the X2 in there somewhere too. Thanks!

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing