Wilson Audio announces the Alexia V

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
This is another vote for the view (my oft-stated view) that the secret sauce of the new generation of Wilson speakers is the midrange driver from the XVX.
And is that a trickle down driver from Dave's Chronosonic

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

No, it’s not. The new midrange driver is why I literally would rather have the XVX than the WAMM Chronosonic if someone said I could choose one of them.

Reactions: Steve Williams

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
The Quadra-Mag Alnico Mid-Range was Dave's last project with Vern Credille. The difficulty of design - the manufacturer insisted that the concept would never work - left it a design in progress at his death. Daryl Wilson and Vern completed the design specifically for the Chronosonic XVX.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The Quadra-Mag Alnico Mid-Range was Dave's last project with Vern Credille. The difficulty of design - the manufacturer insisted that the concept would never work - left it a design in progress at his death. Daryl Wilson and Vern completed the design specifically for the Chronosonic XVX.
So it is a trickle down of sorts

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
A piece of a very large puzzle. So many other pieces allow it to shine
I totally understand that. :) But to an outsider the other changes may seem more subtle.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
No, it’s not. The new midrange driver is why I literally would rather have the XVX than the WAMM Chronosonic if someone said I could choose one of them.

Have you listened to both of them in similar conditions? I only listened to the WAMM and also was fascinated by the midrange liquidity, as I reported in WBF.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Have you listened to both of them in similar conditions? I only listened to the WAMM and also was fascinated by the midrange liquidity, as I reported in WBF.

Of course not. Are you aware of any dealer who has the WAMM and the XVX side-by-side?

I don’t understand your implication here. I don’t know what “midrange liquidity” means.

Do you really think it makes any sense to suggest that the newer midrange driver — populating each of the new generation of loudspeakers — is sonically inferior to the earlier one in the WAMM?

Skanda

May 2, 2020
Completely agree Ron. We talked about this on another thread but the xvx is "haunting". I'm not sure the Alexia V will fit my needs but I was excited to read that it got the alnico midrange as well. Hope to demo the alexx v in the next week or two and will report back

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Of course not. Are you aware of any dealer who has the WAMM and the XVX side-by-side?

I did not ask for side by side, just similar conditions.
I don’t understand your implication here. I don’t know what “midrange liquidity” means.

Ok, many people use the word liquidity, even in this forum, with the same sense it is being used in this thread. Just google the expression in the forum and you will immediately get a sense of what people mean with it. https://www.google.com/search?as_q=...com&as_occt=any&safe=active&as_filetype=&tbs=

Do you really think it makes any sense to suggest that the newer midrange driver — populating each of the new generation of loudspeakers — is sonically inferior to the earlier one in the WAMM?

Surely it is possible, considering the cost difference of both models. And, as explained by Bill, it is just a part of a puzzle and you can't separate the sonic results of the midrange unit from the remaining whole speaker.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ok, many people use the word liquidity, even in this forum, with the same sense it is being used in this thread. Just google the expression in the forum and you will immediately get a sense of what people mean with it.

I often use “liquidity” myself, in connection with tube electronics. I just did not understand how you were applying that term to the sound of a midrange driver.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I’m not arguing with you. I stand by my view that I literally would rather have the XVX than the WAMM Chronosonic if someone said I could choose one of them.

You are welcome to choose the WAMM.

StefanT

Mar 28, 2014
A video released by Wilson Audio today on the new Alexia V.

Wilson Audio is well known for its continuous pursuit of “Excellence in All Things™” and persistent R&D advancements. As development finished on Alexx V® and as Alexia® Series 2 reached its five-year anniversary, Wilson Audio’s Engineers were put to the test to see how far they could push Alexia’s performance envelope. What unfolded is nothing short of remarkable. More than thirty areas of improvement were identified and refined. Benefiting from the enormous evolutions found in Chronosonic XVX® and Alexx V, Alexia V truly sits upon the shoulders of giants.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I am finishing up my Alexia V review which will be a video review posted on our YouTube channel.

Bottom line is that it is significantly better than the already good Alexia 2s I had before. In the video I will explain why I believe that is so.

Daryl’s designs just keep getting better like their drivers.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
I am finishing up my Alexia V review which will be a video review posted on our YouTube channel.

Bottom line is that it is significantly better than the already good Alexia 2s I had before. In the video I will explain why I believe that is so.

Daryl’s designs just keep getting better like their drivers.
Lee invited me over for a listen. I said Wow. The new design really took the sound up to a new level. I really liked them and they are gorgeous. Enjoy!

Reactions: Lee

DaveUK

Oct 1, 2022
I am mighty tempted to upgrade to the Alexia Vs from my DAWs. But I have a Loke on order yet to be delivered. Do you think the Loke will work with the Alexia Vs or will be superfluous? Too late to cancel my Loke order now so be interested to hear what people think.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I am mighty tempted to upgrade to the Alexia Vs from my DAWs. But I have a Loke on order yet to be delivered. Do you think the Loke will work with the Alexia Vs or will be superfluous? Too late to cancel my Loke order now so be interested to hear what people think.
Now I'm a believer that subs when done right will improve almost all speaker setups. I would go Loke and Alexia V but that is just me.

I would reach out to Wilson on setup, etc. I can only imagine how great that setup could be.

Reactions: DaveUK

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Now I'm a believer that subs when done right will improve almost all speaker setups. I would go Loke and Alexia V but that is just me.

I would reach out to Wilson on setup, etc. I can only imagine how great that setup could be.
Done right, 100% agree. After over 2 years due to Covid, the XLFs were finally calibrated to the system (which underwent changes during Covid as well)...and they kindly re-calibrated the sub as well which has very good adjustability (8-point frequency adjustments where you can place those 8 anywhere between 15hz and 200hz with +/- 6db, plus a complete rollover adjustment below 20hz and above 40hz - 200hz at anywhere up to 36db slope plus complete 360 degree phase control)...and the result has been stunningly successful.

They measured basically flat to 25hz and then down -5db at 20hz inroom.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012

Agree. I put in a pair of subs a few years back and was surprised how they impacted the room sonics. They seem to act more as a platform for the soundscape. So much so, they were initially interacting with the floor and walls to such an extent I had to isolate them from the floor. Used a couple sets of Norm Varney’s EVP’s (https://avroomservice.com/evp-2/) and that brought everything back in line. It seems that subs are in some ways pressurizing the room, providing a sort of sonic floor/base filler, in an unobtrusive way.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I support any Wilson speaker upgrade to get that new midrange driver!

I am sure the Loke will work on the Alexia V. (But I would put subwoofers on a ham sandwich.)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing