Wilson Alexx V vs Rockport Orion

JiminGa

May 16, 2023
I used to own Wilson Benesch Chimeras (their flagship at the time) and everything you say is true. I moved on to Rockport after many enjoyable years

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Interesting - can you articulate the differences?

JiminGa

May 16, 2023
To me the Rockports sound more like real music than the WB. They move air and couple to the room more naturally. The coherence of all 7 inch drivers is outweighed by the feel and weight of real musicians coming from the Orions and the Cygnus I had before them. They also hit a lot harder. I love WB but even with the Torus it’s a compromise. Listen to Orion or Lyra yourself and make your own judgement. What I think or your dealer thinks is not important. I would not use subs with either Orion or Lyra it will muddle things up. Like WB Rockport designs and makes their own drivers. They claim their new drivers have the lowest distortion they have ever measured and they collect drivers from other manufacturers. The enclosures of Orion and Lyra are more inert than WB. Watch videos on their construction. There is nothing slow about them. Lyra has a springier mid/upper bass than Orion which might appeal to you. In the end you have to listen for yourself.

Philb7777

Mar 11, 2013
To me the Rockports sound more like real music than the WB. They move air and couple to the room more naturally. The coherence of all 7 inch drivers is outweighed by the feel and weight of real musicians coming from the Orions and the Cygnus I had before them. They also hit a lot harder. I love WB but even with the Torus it’s a compromise. Listen to Orion or Lyra yourself and make your own judgement. What I think or your dealer thinks is not important. I would not use subs with either Orion or Lyra it will muddle things up. Like WB Rockport designs and makes their own drivers. They claim their new drivers have the lowest distortion they have ever measured and they collect drivers from other manufacturers. The enclosures of Orion and Lyra are more inert than WB. Watch videos on their construction. There is nothing slow about them. Lyra has a springier mid/upper bass than Orion which might appeal to you. In the end you have to listen for yourself.
Hi - I’ve owned Cygnus for over 5 years and am considering upgrading to Orions. From your previous post it appears you’ve taken the same path I’m considering: Moving from Cygnus to Orions. Would you please elaborate on the differences between the two loudspeakers in your system? Thanks in advance for any info!

Reactions: Jimkrell42

JiminGa

May 16, 2023
The difference (obviously) comes from the new enclosure and the new drivers. The enclosure is significantly quieter which has 2 effects. Less cabinet noise and that leads to the ability to hear leading and trailing edges of notes that would otherwise be obscured by it. This allows you to hear all that the driver is capable of. This you will interpret as more detail and a more lifelike presentation. The new drivers like all of Andy’s drivers have the lowest distortion in the market. The design idea was to create the best 3 driver 3 way full range speaker in the world. To do this he needed surface area and the largest distortion free woofer he could make. He came up with the amazing 13 inch woofer which is the best I’ve ever heard. To reach down to this he needed a larger 7 inch mid and to reach down to this he needed a larger 1.25 inch tweeter. This is the first tweeter that they fully designed in house. All of this changes the crossover points allowing each driver to operate optimally. The cabinet design allows for a huge amount of volume to devoted to the woofer leading to the best mid/lower bass I know of. The midrange has its own dedicated chamber making this possible. Orion is better in all meaningful parameters but at a very high price. The Cygnus is the best value at Rockport and is a great speaker.

Philb7777

Mar 11, 2013
Thanks so much for the info. I was wondering about the 13 inch bass driver compared. to the two 10 inch Cygnus bass drivers. Very helpful information. Thanks again!

Phil

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
No its absolutely no problem , consider your self lucky if your able to hear above 15 -16 khz .
Tweeters going up to 30 40 100 khz is merely a marketing issue.

Off course to give a better perspective you need to have the " min 3 db " number at for example 16 or 20 khz .
The show conditions in which they were placed weren t optimal , difficult to say

Measure the THD of tweeters going out to 40K vs one rolling off at 17K , here in lies the tale , as to everything in Audio no one measurement or advantage tells the full story , but everything has it’s accumulative effect..!

Regards

caesar

May 30, 2010
I find Rockports more organic and natural sounding. Wilsons, on the other hand, sound very hifi to me: there’s your dynamics . Theres your soundstage depth. Here’s your pin point imaging. There’s your singer in Tokyo and guitar player in Nashville…

with that said, I think vivid spirits sound more organic and less boxy than either of the 2.

all depends on the experience you are looking for

Reactions: mxk116 and Chpray

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
I find Rockports more organic and natural sounding. Wilsons, on the other hand, sound very hifi to me: there’s your dynamics . Theres your soundstage depth. Here’s your pin point imaging. There’s your singer in Tokyo and guitar player in Nashville…

with that said, I think vivid spirits sound more organic and less boxy than either of the 2.

Talking these ..?

Chpray

Jun 22, 2023

Vivid is another excellent loudspeaker. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't like the look of it, so I don't think that I can ever get it pass the main entrance, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: christoph

caesar

May 30, 2010
Vivid is another excellent loudspeaker. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't like the look of it, so I don't think that I can ever get it pass the main entrance, lol.

Yeah, I understand. More of a man cave thing unless it's a very contemporary home

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I am not sure where the OP lives but here is an idea. Fly to Toronto. Go to Audio Excellence and listen to the Wilsons then go to American Sound and listen to the rockports. You can also sample some other great speakers while there. I am sure you could negotiate that they would cover the cost of your trip if you buy a pair.

You also get to explore a great city with fantastic food.
I considered attending Toronto Audio show held last month to see my three years old grandson living in Toronto.

It is best to listen to the speakers in well organized showroom.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Maybe you could show your wife the movie "Fifth Element" several times, eventually the look (the scene with the blue opera singer) will grow on her ;)

Reactions: Chpray

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
I definitely "urge" you to go listen to this mentioned set before you make that or that decision, I was in a similar dilemma with ALEXX on my mind, and others in this price range,
my heart and soul went (in my case) with the CLASSIC in its Third and upgraded version C3 (combined and designed with internal KONDO cross and wiring)

pic below
the "Kaiser Acoustics Classic Brilliant Edition" speakers with a custom massive and Duelund outboard crossover.

89435177_1514103265431374_642225158395789312_o-1.jpg

89352827_1514103235431377_2207701344347750400_o-1.jpg

89372910_1514103308764703_747591709872881664_o-1.jpg

Last edited:

Chpray

Jun 22, 2023
I definitely "urge" you to go listen to this mentioned set before you make that or that decision, I was in a similar dilemma with ALEXX on my mind, and others in this price range,
my heart and soul went (in my case) with the CLASSIC in its Third and upgraded version C3 (combined and designed with internal KONDO cross and wiring)

pic below
the "Kaiser Acoustics Classic Brilliant Edition" speakers with a custom massive and Duelund outboard crossover.

View attachment 121488

View attachment 121487

View attachment 121486
Yep, I will check it out.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing