Will's Horn Finalists

Yakamozan

Jul 23, 2019
I don’t know if he has set it up yet but I can say that sonically they have a similar character where the amps don’t get in the way of what’s on the recording by editorializing the tonality. Transparency is about the same for both, being the best I have heard outside of a couple OTLs.
Where Diana Forte gives more is in the slam and dynamics, which are already very high for Genus, and for some speaker types (Particularly vented and sealed box) a more potent bottom end. Obviously with 60 watts headroom is higher.

Forte might have a tiny bit more inner resolution due to being all direct heated (it uses an 814 as a driver vs. E280F for Genus) but this is pretty subtle I would say.
Not too sure if the 280´s in the Genus are actually for the pre amp section, that´s at least how i understood it, but not really sure since you know the systems much better then i do.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
I don’t know if he has set it up yet but I can say that sonically they have a similar character where the amps don’t get in the way of what’s on the recording by editorializing the tonality. Transparency is about the same for both, being the best I have heard outside of a couple OTLs.
Where Diana Forte gives more is in the slam and dynamics, which are already very high for Genus, and for some speaker types (Particularly vented and sealed box) a more potent bottom end. Obviously with 60 watts headroom is higher.

Forte might have a tiny bit more inner resolution due to being all direct heated (it uses an 814 as a driver vs. E280F for Genus) but this is pretty subtle I would say.
Thank you.
Have you also compared the Genus 813 to the Genus 845?

Yakamozan

Jul 23, 2019
Thank you.
I personally haven´t, but everyone who did, that i heard of, preferred the 813, which kinda makes sense.
It´s not just Stavros favorite tube, but also the Genus was originally designed around this tube. The 845 is build, to make sure that the existing 813´s have enough spare tubes, as this tube is not being produced anymore. The Genus 813 can be changed to accept 845 for a very fair and reasonable price at the AC facilities.

Reactions: Exlibris

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Thanks for the insights. I´m waiting on things returning to normal again and will then have extended listen to the WvL Chicago´s, which is top of the list without competition at the moment.
By now, i am very much tempted to just order them, but i do not know for sure if they will work in my 100sqm loft with approx. 500 cubic of air to move. Thomas (Fast audio) as well as Wolf, both are convinced, it will work just fine, but said that we should try it first.

Looking at the Viking System, the specs and your review, this could be an alternative to at least check and listen, in case, the open baffle of the Chicago´s will not produce the bass sound in my big room, that i like to hear from a 50+k speaker.

Is there a dealer for this speaker in Germany or a demo room to check them out ?

ps. Aries Cerat Diana Forte has arrived now ( Thanks to Brad Morrical from Sound Castle for this beautiful fat lady it´s good to know that there are at least some dealers out there, which are fun to deal with ! It´s been a pleasure mate ).

My Aries Cerat Genus 813 ( one of the latest 813 built, with separate bias control for each channel ) will go out for sale soon, together with my Lampi Big 7 SE, incl. Kron242RK and RK recti next to the 45´s and 274, which i believe is still more magic than most of the Dac´s on the market today and all the Lampi´s up to the GG2.5, which i had in house for a month from Lukasz, ending up calling him and asking him: "Lukasz, how come the 2.5 makes every single thing better then my Big 7 as it seems, but the Big 7 is clearly more joy to listen?".
His answer, after a loud laugh " That´s the beauty of the Big7 and the reason why so many dealers have this particular DAC as their favorite source still in their show rooms. The chip set inside the Big 7, in combination with the parts we put in there makes it much more emotionally involving, even if there is obviously less resolution and timbre".

Might be the final DAC for quite some folks out there. I´ll drop a note here, once i put it out on Audio-Markt.de.

Genus + Big7, connected with a FTA Ganymede RCA = perfect match and for most music lovers maybe the final word in music reproduction.
Unfortunately, there are no Viking dealers in Europe but David Counsell sells his speakers worldwide and especially has a big following in Asia.

Yakamozan

Jul 23, 2019
Unfortunately, there are no Viking dealers in Europe but David Counsell sells his speakers worldwide and especially has a big following in Asia.
That‘s a pity, as the option to hear them upfront, is rather difficult i guess.... shipping cost alone will make this a problem, leave customs and responsibility issues aside.
Enjoy your system, it looks really nice and promising

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Thank you.
No, I haven’t heard the 845 versions yet. All our amps were the 813 design.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Yes, there are adjustments for both the tweeter and midrange horn levels. Ive really loved my acapella speakers
heard acapella’s today. If the tweeter sounded hot in someone else‘s experience, something was really off because I only heard a dynamic super speaker without any (!!!) trace of harshness.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
heard acapella’s today. If the tweeter sounded hot in someone else‘s experience, something was really off because I only heard a dynamic super speaker without any (!!!) trace of harshness.

I am happy for you that you like them!

People have different subjective sonic tastes. Just because you heard no harshness in that system does not mean people with different ears did not perceive subjectively harshness in different systems.

I think it's great that Acappella offers a level control on that unique and extremely transparent plasma tweeter.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I think it's great that Acappella offers a level control on that unique and extremely transparent plasma tweeter.
A level control for a tweeter! Image that! What a stroke of brilliance. Can you imagine the stretch of remarkable creative thinking it took for a manufacturer to realize that someone might actually want to adjust the frequency response of their speaker slightly for what they felt was best in their room, with their electronics and cabling? Don't they give out Nobel prizes for ideas this extraordinary? :eek: (Shhhh, don't tell that to Magico and many others who don't do this for reasons too dumb to discuss).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing