Who has what responsibility when a home audition is requested?

Deposit ..!

Would have thought payment in full (refunded on return less Fees) and shipping both ways ..

Unit cant be sold as new after return , so some compensation is necessary
Depends on the dealer / client relationship. This is not a "one size fits all" solution.

Reactions: Duke LeJeune
One thing for sure is:

Some folks honestly want to vet gear in their system.

Some want to bench race stuff so they can brag about it on forums or to their friends.

Dealers deal with both and create systems based on them both.

Like everything in life it depends. I try to frequent 2-3 dealers here that I know well.

Years ago I befriended a local dealer who became a good friend. We did contra deals with me supplying services from my business and he equipment. It was a place to hang , have a cup of tea and shoot the breeze on occasion. Sadly he passed away too young.

I get stuff dropped off at my home just because dealers want an opinion. I have never paid a deposit. However, If it was with a dealer with a new relationship I totally get it.

For those small operatives that manufacture and sell direct. You've got to expect that you will be shipping across country along with unfortunate dents and bruises on equipment- it becomes part of the business.

Right now I have a top level DAC here, a top level SUT and will have the Kuzma Saphire here in the coming days for evaluation. I have had CH here this past year and some top level Greek electronics- I was that close to the CH------ it didn't happen. However, I see something from the line in my near future- the loan convinced me of it. All evaluations no fees. Often they deliver and I deliver back.

Funny enough I have never requested a cartridge for evaluation. Although one dealer would oblige. That's a lot of trust. On very expensive cartridges- I just pull my wallet out- try them and then move on if it does not work out,.

The DAC I did not even request- but dealer wanted an opinion. All these guys I consider friends though - - Unfortunately, I am becoming a grey haired "seasoned" audiophile so I am experienced and not at all dangerous nor nefarious. LoL

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing