Which subs are you using for your HT system.

Dr_jitsu

Jun 17, 2011
Up front I have 2 CHT (Chase Home Theater) 18.2's. An 18.2 is 2 18 inch sealed subs in one box powered by an SA true 1000 watt amp. The amp has pretty extensive tuning capabilities. Each one is located on a side of my TV screen.

In the back I have an 18.T, 2 separate sealed 18 inch subs, again powered by the SA 1000. They are on the sides of my listening area.

I had my friend who owns a HT business tune/calibrate them (using a rather expensive SPL meter).

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
JL Audio Fathom F113, previously I have used Velodyne and Rel. Been thinking to add a second Fathom to the setup.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Using a Velodyne DD18 with my Wilson X1/Grand Slamms. Extremely happy. I have often wondered about the new DD18+ whose magnet is apparently twice the weight and apparently much better controlled. Any one heard it? Compared it with JL F or Gotham?

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
Using a Velodyne DD18 with my Wilson X1/Grand Slamms. Extremely happy. I have often wondered about the new DD18+ whose magnet is apparently twice the weight and apparently much better controlled. Any one heard it? Compared it with JL F or Gotham?
I have compared both DD18 vs JL Gotham, by far JL was much much better in every sense of the lower octaves.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Emre...that is very helpful. I thought that would be the case...guess i know what comes after transport and possibly cables...;)

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
After many years with a pair of Velodyne ULD-18s I upgraded to an Infinite Baffle of my own design.

Due to install constraints (see my article on the build) I had to create the first in-room manifold IB using four AV15 IB drivers in a 24" cube.

It delivers the quality and quantity of low-end to mate with the large electrostats in the HT. But most important, it is uber-clean.

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
Amir, one of the cool things about IB's is the crazy good performance per dollar. I figure I spent less than $1,500 in parts and materials.

If hiring out the labor, then less than $1,00 for that. So under $2,500 total to replicate this setup.

Given the measured and subjective results, there is now way to approach that performance with commercial solutions for less than double or quadruple the money. And even then, distortion might not be as low, since IB is intrinsically an ideal alignment. It just has this little detail of requiring a *huge* rear wave chamber ;)

FranzM started a great thread on IB for audiophiles.

trh8654

May 29, 2010
Virginia
Dont have a home theater but do use a pair of JL Audio Fathom F110s with my YGA Carmel speakers. Used REL before these.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Velodyne DD18. I am 2.1 for music and theater.

Kippyy

Feb 20, 2011
San Ramon, CA
JL F113 here. Very happy with it so far.

Dr_jitsu

Jun 17, 2011
Seems to be a lot of love for the JL. Its a good sub, but I think that for the price, I would rather go w/ multiple subs from ID companies like HSU, Epik, CHT et al. Danley is also excellent although more expensive.

I have a total of 6 18 inch sealed subs w/aps and it all cost me about $3.5K. I have a very large area to fill (living room that opens to kitchen, dining room, hallway etc) and there is nary a null. The 4 Seatons would be something I would love to experience.

prerich

May 21, 2012
I have 2 Wharfedale SW380's (modified), and 2 Atlantic Technology PBM 352 THX subs for LFE, and 2 DCM transmission line subs for my side channels. The main subs are connected to a DCX2496 (crossover) and a FBQ 2496 (PEQ).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Velodyne DD18 and Auralex subwoofer platform. I mention the platform because it had a transofrmationally positve effect on the sub response in the room.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing