Which < $1500 Tube Pre?

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Has anyone heard the SMc VRE-1B preamp from Steve McCormack?

Flac>2>Dac

Sep 1, 2011
I had an RLD-1 pre that replaced a AR LS3. The McCormack was noticeably more dynamic and resolving than the AR. I thought you were looking for a tube preamp.

LOL...yeah, I am. However, my budget is tight right now and I'm trying to decide between an "interim" position of like a McCormack RLD-1...which can be had for like ~$600...or just holding out a bit for one of the tube Pre-amps on my list.

Right now, I'm fighting temptation, and thinking of just cooling my jets a bit; but the feedback is still valuable. For example, if I decided to try the RLD-1, it's nice to know you thought it beat out your older ARC.

CD

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
The RLD-1 is a lot of preamp for $600 plus Steve McCormack has some highly regarded upgrades for it.

Flac>2>Dac

Sep 1, 2011
The RLD-1 is a lot of preamp for $600 plus Steve McCormack has some highly regarded upgrades for it.

Yeah, you're probably right. The guy was willing to take $600, but I still wasn't sure. Just spent ~10-times that on my Special 25s, so I was a bit gun-shy...even on just $600. Really, it's because I do want a tube model like an ARC or C-J...and $600 or not, the RLD-1 just felt like a consolation.

FWIW, he turned around and listed at the $600 he was willing to take from me...and it sold in hours...lol. You snooze you lose.

CD

Flac>2>Dac

Sep 1, 2011
Well...after much hand-wringing, bartering on RLD-1s, and trying to decide between just sitting tight and giving something a try...I think I have come to terms on a Belles 21a with the Auricap upgrade! I got it for significantly less than my max $1500 budget, which it turns out I couldn't really afford after all (hence all the foot-dragging :p)

I'm not normally a "rate my purchase" kinda guy; I say grow a pair and feel confident with your decision...lol. But tube pre-amps are unchartered waters for me. I did my homework, and the Belles 21a has lots of fans (sycophants really); I even saw a reviewer prefer it over the ARC SP16L, which was one of my "high-budget" contenders. Plus I think it will (naturally) pair nicely with my Belles 150a HR.

But...what do you think of my choice; or "rate my purchase"? :confused:

CD

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing